All hopes at PayPal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: All hopes at PayPal Reply with quote

I bought an old Dell laptop for $180 on eBay as I needed a quick replacement for my current laptop which has a few issues.

The seller has advertised no problems with the laptop, and stupid me I bid on it without research.

It's the Dell D830, on paper it looks real good, until I found out about the faulty line of laptops due to an NVIDIA chip that basically overheats itself to the point where the connections get unsoldered. (You can read up on this on google if you search for "dell vs nvidia")

When I received the laptop, I installed some software to monitor CPU & GPU temperature and found out that the GPU operates at 75C with no load, then I noticed the bottom fan wasn't spinning and the laptop felt really hot, then the CPU scaled down from 2.6GHz to 400Mhz and the whole laptop was pretty much unusable from there on.

I sent the laptop back, as the seller who up until now had 100% feedback, offered 3 days money back at the auction. The guy got it and claimed that the LCD screen was faulty and had to use external monitor. I know for a fact that there was nothing wrong with the screen. Because the screen is supposedly faulty, he refused to refund me and instead told me to take it up with the post office. So I escalated it to PayPal and hopefully they'll agree with me (which they should under their buyer protection program).

He also said that other than the LCD screen, there is nothing wrong with it which is an utter lie.

I asked the guy to send me a video via mobile phone to show how the screen doesn't work but he refused saying "he doesn't have mobile phone for this purpose".

This goes to show how dodgy people can be, even if they have a 100% feedback.

The guy has sold about 100 laptops, so it's out of question that he doesn't know that those D830s from Dell(amongst other brands with the same nvidia chip) are faulty.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.

This is why I just buy new.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.
Now it's time for the harvest
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about complaining to ebay? I guess it becomes tricky when it is his word against yours. However, you are right to be suspicious that he doesn't have a phone for that purpose. You should go buy a cheap 5 euro phone and send it to him so he can take a video. :x
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notebook computer, eBay, PayPal, USA, US dollars, hope ... What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Next time, try something local, like http://aukro.cz/ or somewhere else in the EU.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Good luck.

This is why I just buy new.
++

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Notebook computer, eBay, PayPal, USA, US dollars, hope ... What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Next time, try something local, like http://aukro.cz/ or somewhere else in the EU.

Or try different ebays, I shop at ebay italy germany UK france, never found anything worth at ebay spain, US ebay has a 35€ shipping cost, so either is a really great deal or too expensive.

At ebay italy and germany more than 50% of the sellers are professional sellers with >3000 sales in their feedback and can usually be trusted. Buy from a private citizen (as opposed to buy from a real shop that also sells on ebay) is always a risky business, I mostly buy from shops with 10.000 or 20000 positive feedback, never had a problem.

Buy from privates like in a flea market never worked too well on Ebay.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The result: PayPal refunded me the lot and I left the guy a nasty negative feedback. People like that shouldn't run a business. Hopefully when I get back to Australia (i'm in czech now), my house isn't burnt down.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Hopefully when I get back to Australia (i'm in czech now), my house isn't burnt down.
Glad it worked out, but this is why I buy new :D

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: