Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gangnam Style - The OTW thread.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I wonder how comedic the families of al Qaeda's victims find it.

With the possible exception of 9/11, that would probably be mostly friendly fire wouldn't it? Unless you count casualty US soldiers as victims, which is arguable.

I suppose that depends on the proportion of civilians in places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Iraq, Somalia, and Libya that one counts as "friendly" to al Qaeda. The most accurate way to break that down would probably be 'militant Islamist fundamentalists, Jihadi sympathizers and drug dealers' in the "friendly" camp, and "everybody else" in the "just trying to survive" camp. So yes, I think the bulk of what you seem to think of as "friendly fire" (apparently for ethnic reasons) are indeed "victims".

However, why would you make 9/11 an "exception"? I don't see the logic is writing off 3,000 horribly murdered innocent civilians. What is your thinking behind that?

It's an exception because it's not friendly fire. That was my thinking behind that. That's why I put that there (as an exception) to stop people thinking I meant "...writing off 3,000 horribly murdered innocent civilians." Savvy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody reading your post would've come to the same conclusion. Not him though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. You were operating under the foregone conclusion that all the people who have been massacred in those various countries by al Qaeda were "friendly" to them and therefore not innocent victims. I guess that slipped from my mind momentarily because it seems so obviously incorrect. It seemed like you were sort of begging the question there.

By the way, in my experience, the term "friendly fire" is not typically used to describe the killing of innocent civilians; it's usually used to refer to "fratricide": combatants accidentally killing other combatants on the same side (a.k.a. "blue on blue"). The killing of innocent civilians is, if intentional and unavoidable, a war crime or terrorism, or, if unintentional, is considered a collateral casualty incident (i.e. casualty-producing collateral damage). "Unavoidable" means it prevented more harm than it caused and there was no other feasible way of preventing the harm.

Most of al Qaeda's killing of innocent civilians would fall into the category of terrorism: the intentional an illegal targeting of non-combatants to control the behavior of others. Some of it is simple collateral damage, which increases in likelihood with primitive weapons and inadequate training. Some, I'm sure, are war crimes, which increase in likelihood with informal authority and decentralized control.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Ah, I see.

You obviously don't. How you could possibly generate that much verbal diarrhoea from such a short and concise statement from me is mind boggling. I suspect you have hung up a few layers of skin as a new year's resolution to be more sensitive. This is deeply disturbing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you find it so disturbing. Would you like to talk about that?
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I'm sorry you find it so disturbing. Would you like to talk about that?

Not really. I may need community care if I have to see another Gangnam meme or see old people doing the dance. I may need to talk about my Freudian issues then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find much about this guy but from what I've read it seems premature to be linking him to 9-11 or al-Qaeda's victims. It seems he was a gopher and translator for bin Laden. Now bin Laden was an evil dude so working for him makes you suspect, but I need to see more before I start pinning bodies on this guy.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
I can't find much about this guy but from what I've read it seems premature to be linking him to 9-11 or al-Qaeda's victims. It seems he was a gopher and translator for bin Laden. Now bin Laden was an evil dude so working for him makes you suspect, but I need to see more before I start pinning bodies on this guy.


He turned me into a newt!
I got better.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That's like going to Italy and seeking out Mexican restaurants.
Some of the best Mexican and Italian food I've had was in Germany. I can't understand why anyone would avoid a style of cuisine solely for the reason of being somewhere. I've never been to Mexico or Italy, but enjoy the variations on their cuisine. Of the limited Korean food I've had, I'd eat almost anything else if I were forced to visit.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 324
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci48kqp11F8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is better and at least does something useful.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
This guy is better and at least does something useful.


I think he's up for deportation.
_________________
Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea why?
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His fish stinks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Any idea why?


Visa had run out, or it was a preemptive strike to stop his attempt
at Christmas number one
_________________
Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame nobody stopped and deported Psy.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's finally sinking in that the reason people watched that video is because they thought he was a total ass. I caught a sound-bite the other day where he was saying words to the effect of, "... I was trying to be ridiculous the whole time."
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum