View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: KDE with NFS home, test results Reply with quote

I decided to nail the problem of KDE running very slowly with an NFS-mounted $HOME. This is a qualitative rather than quantitative test.

I tried with KDE with both a locally-mounted and a NFS-mounted $HOME. In both cases, $HOME/.kde4 was a symlink to /var/tmp/mounty/.kde4 which is on a local FS.

The performance of the NFS-mounted KDE was about an order of magnitude slower than with the local $HOME. For example, a kate session with NFS $HOME took so long to close that the 'this window is not responding' dialog appeared. With a local $HOME, kate closed instantly.

Building KDE with -semantic-desktop is not really feasible as the most useful applications (in my case, akregator) require +semantic-desktop.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: more local directories Reply with quote

The next step is to move more directories out of NFS-mounted $HOME and into local storage with symlinks from $HOME: .local/share/akonadi, .config/akonadi and .dbus but although it seems to make the system a little faster, there's still no breakthrough.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: what's being written ? Reply with quote

Then:
Code:
find $HOME -name '.[A-Za-z]*' -mount -type f -mtime -1
to see if something's still hammering NFS. Nothing obvious.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Is KDE trying to be like Microsoft ? Reply with quote

For some extremely good reason I'm sure, KDE deleted the symlink $HOME/.kde4 and replaced it with a directory. I'm sure it had a really good reason for doing so, but it prevented KDE from starting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: