Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] openbox-session, different configurations possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: [solved] openbox-session, different configurations possible? Reply with quote

hi,
I'm running openbox without a login manager. So after booting, I'm in the CLI-environment and when I want to start my openbox-desktop I run startx with .xinitrc: exec openbox-session
the manual tells me that openbox-session takes no command line arguments and the only thing I've found so far is: openbox --config-file FILE but for a session openbox must have at least rc.xml, menu.xml (and autostart), so what is this config file?

my problem is that I want to be able to choose 3 different openbox-sessions when I start my X-environment (one with a bright theme, one with a dark theme, and a powersave mode, without conky, compton, etc). All of them have different rc.xml, menu.xml and autostart files...
is this possible, and if yes, how?

Last edited by LoTeK on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was running Openbox, I had similar problems … unfortunately, I don't remember how I solved them.

But did you have a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openbox.xml? This should provide lots of ideas.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I did of course, but there aren't any information or ideas related to my problem or do you mean the session managers LXsession and Xfce4-session?

I'll try it with an .xinitrc script according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

I'm curious, what do you use now? So far openbox (or maybe even hackedbox, which I haven't tried so far) is the best desktop if you don't want a panel, many fine tunes and selfconfiguration and especially no bloat.. did I oversee a better (in the former sense) solution?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote an .xinitrc:
http://bpaste.net/show/67329
and now instead of startx I write: xinit dark, xinit light or xinit powersave depending on which theme I want. It works but it's maybe not that elegant, so if anyone knows a better way I'd appreciate to hear from you :)
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I'm curious, what do you use now? So far openbox (or maybe even hackedbox, which I haven't tried so far) is the best desktop if you don't want a panel, many fine tunes and selfconfiguration and especially no bloat.. did I oversee a better (in the former sense) solution?

I used Openbox on an EeePC and was very happy with it. But I gave it away and put Lubunutu (→ LXDE with Openbox) on it, which also runs fine. On my “stronger” machines, I usually run XFCE, which is sufficiently slim; especially if you consider that you need GTK for many apps anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: