Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fails to boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipesDownUK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fails to boot. Reply with quote

I have downloaded the livedvd-amd64-multilib-20121221.iso and have tried to boot from a memory stick. Soon after selecting the keyboard layout the boot aborts with the following message:
Code:
>> Mounting squashfs & aufs filesystems
>> Loading aufs
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/livecd failed: Invalid argument
mount: mounting aufs on /newroot failed: Invalid agrument
/init: line 866: can't create /newroot/etc/fstab: nonexistent directory
mount: mounting /mnt/livecd on /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: Invalid argument
>> No cdupdate.sh script found, skipping...
>> Bootin (initramfs)..
switch_root: can't execute '/sbin/init': No such file or directory
[   26.095046] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
[   26.095046]
[   26.095078] Pid: 1,comm: switch_root Tainted: P   0 3.6.8-gentoo-r1#1
[   26.095107] Call trace:
<I have omitted the call trace>

Following the same procedure with the previous liveDVD .iso was successful. Unfortunately I no longer have it.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a solution for your problem. Just wanted you to know that previous live DVDs still seems to be available: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to boot the livedvd-amd64-multilib-20121221.iso from a dvd media? What did you used to adapt the iso image to the USB stick? Some iso failed to boot on a stick, the node for cd/dvd do not exist, only the one for the stick, or the cd/dvd node exist, but there's no media in the cd/dvd to search for at boot time.

Boot the iso image from a native dvd media if you can. It have more chances to not fail.
PipesDownUK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the previous replies.
Unfortunately I don't have a DVD burner, and I don't have an optical drive on the machine I'm trying to boot.

Booting was done from a usb stick created with http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/, which worked fine with the earlier 2012 live DVD. So something has changed between the two and I though that by posting the screen text it might help someone in the know to pinpoint the difference.

I just wish I had kept that .iso before downloading the current "End of the World" release, but available disk space is limited. I'm now trying to boot with the SystemRescueCD (which is a smaller/quicker download) as all I want to do at this stage is check the partitioning layout of my old Gentoo system disk in order to plan a new one for a new Gentoo system. There are also some wireless drivers on it I need to get the new system networked.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PipesDownUK wrote:
Booting was done from a usb stick created with http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/, which worked fine with the earlier 2012 live DVD.

You can use dd to create the usb stick.
Code:

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/stick

PipesDownUK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fails to boot. Reply with quote

Quote:

The machine I'm creating the USB stick from is a WindowsXP machine, so I don't think the suggestion to use dd will work, but thanks for the suggestion. The Gentoo box was put away about 2 years ago as the room it was in was being done up. When I next tried to update/run portage it failed and searching on these forums suggested the problems in updating after that length of time were greater than a clean install. Also as I want to replace the WindowsXP machine (as XP nears end of life and nobody seems to rate Windows8) new hardware was in order too, so all that remains of the old system are the disks and case.

However it occurs to me that the disk I'm trying to examine has a bootable Gentoo system on it, even if it is x86 rather than amd64 which is what the new hardware is, so I might try booting from it to see what happens, I don't think there is anything to loose.

Unfortunately we have gone over our download quota this month so any further downloads (e.g. reverting to the older live dvd .iso) will have to wait till next month/year.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fails to boot. Reply with quote

PipesDownUK wrote:
Quote:

However it occurs to me that the disk I'm trying to examine has a bootable Gentoo system on it, even if it is x86 rather than amd64 which is what the new hardware is, so I might try booting from it to see what happens, I don't think there is anything to loose.

if you get to a terminal just run dd on the iso image and then reboot using the usb stick. I think not all unetbootin implementations work for everyone since the iso is already usb ready, you might also want to try booting with some of the usb options on the unetbootin image you created to see if it's a problem with your usb device not settling in time.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PipesDownUK,

Its been a while since I suffered from windows but there are any number off toolkits that provide dd

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot a livecd (e.g. sysrescuecd - with 'docache' if you only have one accessible USB port). Booting from such a livecd will NOT make any changes to your windows install
toss in your usb stick
install grub2 on the usb drive
add grub.cfg entries like

Code:

menuentry "Gentoo LiveDVD 64bit" {
loopback loop /livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-2012.1.iso
linux (loop)/boot/gentoo64 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot initrd=gentoo64.igz isoboot=/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-2012.1.iso
initrd (loop)/boot/gentoo64.igz
}

menuentry "Gentoo LiveDVD 32bit" {
loopback loop /livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-2012.1.iso
linux (loop)/boot/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot initrd=gentoo.igz isoboot=/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-2012.1.iso
initrd (loop)/boot/gentoo.igz
}

works a treat.

I currently have my "swiss army knife" thumb drive - a 16GB SanDisk - set up in this way, booting Gentoo LiveDVD, SysRescueCD, and BackTrack5, all directly from the iso.

and no, this cant be done from within Windows. There may be windows tools that will try to grant you this functionality. They suck. I say that not as a linux fanboy, but as someone stuck with Windows for certain tasks at work.
ddddd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same bug as PipesDownUK has. This is my attempts:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7213996.html#7213996
I use cygwin on Windows to create bootable usb stick.
PipesDownUK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: [RESOLVED] Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fails Reply with quote

Just to bring this thread to an end I'll let you know that I redid putting the LiveDVD on my memory stick, but on this occasion it failed. Comparing the size of the USB memory stick (4Gb) with the size of the DVD, the DVD is bigger so it is no wonder it failed. (Hint to the DVD assemblers, it might be an idea to keep the size down so it can fit on a 4G memory stick.) It probably failed the first time too but how I missed it I don't know.

What I then did was to get the SystemRescueCD (use google to find it) and create a bootable USB stick to boot that. I then just followed the Gentoo Install handbook and eventually got a kernel installed that I could boot into. Once past that stage it becomes a lot easier to get ahead as you don't have to manually type all the commands and chmod each time you power on your PC.

Thanks to all the contributors above.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: [RESOLVED] Gentoo Linux End of world EDITION LiveDVD fai Reply with quote

PipesDownUK wrote:
Just to bring this thread to an end I'll let you know that I redid putting the LiveDVD on my memory stick, but on this occasion it failed. Comparing the size of the USB memory stick (4Gb) with the size of the DVD, the DVD is bigger so it is no wonder it failed. (Hint to the DVD assemblers, it might be an idea to keep the size down so it can fit on a 4G memory stick.) It probably failed the first time too but how I missed it I don't know.

thanks, i will keep that in mind for the next livedvd iso. My limit was 4.4G so it can be burned to a DVD but I never thought about usb sticks that are only 4G in size. I will only need to trim around 300MB in order to stay below the 4G limit.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dd is available for Windows as standalone application or as part of cygwin.
Be very careful to not overwrite anything important, because Windows uses weird names for the drives.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: