emerge not doing websync after chrooting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: emerge not doing websync after chrooting Reply with quote

Hello,

I am badly stuck after running chroot. [ Newbie in Gentoo installation ]
Steps I done as follows [ by referring x86 install guide from Gentoo site ] :-

- Started vm in Gentoo live dvd "End of World" edition.
- Partitioned disk etc
- downloaded "stage3-i686-20121213.tar.bz2" and saved in /mnt/gentoo i.e. my sda
- done extraction
- edited nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf file.
- specified following parameters >> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
# Use the same settings for both variables
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" [ This was my mistake being 1st time installer by specifying wrong path for OVERLAY ]
- done mounting of necessary file systems
- now tried to run # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update

and then got error stating wrong OVERLAY entry or something. It said /usr/local/portage dir not found.

And after this error I am not able to run emerge rsync. Not happening.
Tried putting public DNS but not resolving.

Pls help. 8O

Regards,
Amey.
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, install changed a bit since I last did it!
I'm not entirely sure you need the PORTDIR_OVERLAY, but anyway, what is the exact command that you issue and the exact error? I understand it could be a bit tricky to copy/paste, so feel free to get a screenshot and post it somewhere.
I was going to say that you forgot to copy the resolv.conf from the livecd, but it looks like you got that sorted out.
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabrielg wrote:
Wow, install changed a bit since I last did it!
what is the exact command that you issue and the exact error? I understand it could be a bit tricky to copy/paste, so feel free to get a screenshot and post it somewhere.

The exact error I forgot but the error was related to OVERLAY after I hit "set-env" command.
Pls let me know if I need to get any specific logs or outputs.
I think their is mismatch with profile creation.

I created portage dir under /usr as per suggesion in handbook.
Now I see portage dir under /etc & also under /usr [ created by me ]
I saw red flashing SYM link of make.profile under /etc/portage. It was soft link which was missing for /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0
After I manually created those dir's under /usr/portage make.profile dir turned in skyblue colour.
status of make.profile is as follows >>
Code:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 49 Dec <time stamp> make.profile ->../../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0

Now even if I use df -h command I get error stating
Code:
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory

output of make.conf >> pastebin.com/st1vDFsS
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried commenting out PORTDIR_OVERLAY? You actually don't need it unless you're using overlays, and even if you do you use overlays, as far as I remember you put that line into make.conf only after you have added your first overlay (via layman probably). ← This is not true, sorry. You still probably don't need it, see below.
On this computer I don't use any overlays and thus there is no PORTDIR_OVERLAY in my make.conf. No problems here.

On the profile symlink: You don't have to manually create directories. Usually eslect profile set X, where X is the number of your desired profile, will suffice. You can see a list of profiles when you run "eselect profile list" to determine X for your needs.

It is normal to have a /usr/portage and a /etc/portage directory. They both serve different purposes.

The make.conf you posted at pastebin looks very much like the example make.conf. Most lines are commented out (have a # in front), so I doubt that it would work anyway.
Now it's time for the harvest
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Clad in sky >> I tried removing that line & set-env worked but i ended goofing up myself in later stages. Few confusions I am still having as follows >>

I did partitions as suggested by Gentoo x86 handbook. sda1 as boot partition, sda2 as swap & sda3 as root partition. But while using emerge rsync commands ufsroot partition was getting filled 100% which was not my hard disk slice. I am still confused why that happened. emerge wasn't creating folder on my mounted hdd i.e. How can I make sure emerge download will go to /mnt/gentoo i.e. sda3 slice of my hdd? Big slice with 40gig space?

And 2ndly I am still confused how we are transferring default / partition to /mnt/gentoo at the end.

About make.conf file yes I actually edited example.make.conf by adding 3 lines. What changes 1 should make in that file? I am not a developer so don't no much about Python & C++ coding, variables.

In 1 stage, emerge was trying to download snapshots. What are they for? In later stage when I was trying to use commands like emerge dhcpd etc, nothing was happening. Does it take too long to resolve dependencies? I saw cd activity which I mounted in virtualbox.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can take a while to resolve dependencies, yes. I have no experience with installing Gentoo in a VM, so I can't tell you whether it would take longer or not. Shouldn't take more than 2 minutes, though, definitely not more than 5 minutes to resolve dependencies (unless you're not on a modern machine.

Here's an example of what a make.conf might look like.
This is a ThinkPad T420, set up with the desktop profile, running XFCE as a DE.

Code:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="-hal hdaps branding v4l v4l2 bluetooth unicode consolekit dbus pam policykit udev mp3 mmx mmx2 sse sse2 sse3 mpeg win32codecs dvd cdr wma jpeg multilib -qt4 java ogg vorbis theora xvmc ukit"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia intel"
SYNC="rsync://rsync8.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
LINGUAS="en_GB"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mirrors/gentoo//"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="AdobeFlash-10.3 skype-4.0.0.7-copyright"
source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
PORTAGE_TMPDIR ="/home/tmp"
BUILD_PREFIX ="/home/tmp"

You probably don't need PORTAGE_TMPDIR and BUILD_PREFIX; I had to add them because I ran out of space on my root partition. Also, you don't need the "source /var/lib..." stuff because you only add it after adding your first overlay with layman.
Now it's time for the harvest
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I tried Quick Install guide from here and compiling went smooth until grub installation.

After rebooting all I saw is black screen with Grub> status.
I tried recompiling grub but same issue.
This time everything went superb including extraction of tarball on right disk, also portage got extracted at right slice.
In addition, this time dependancies got resolved in no time except I got error for ng log & crontab error while downloading using emerge.

I am not too sure why Gentoo is getting stuck at Grub screen. :oops:
I made exact 3 slices as per the guide.
I also selected profile 4 i.e. gnome and downloaded gnome via emerge.

How can I repair this installation where kernel compilation did not ask me to specify any FLAG's.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot cd, mount gentoo partitions, enter chroot, nominally:
Code:
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
emerge grub
grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
should return a result in the format (hdx,y), use the values below
Code:
root (hdx,y)
return should show the boot partition file system
Code:
setup (hdx)
return should indicate success and sectors embedded
Code:
quit
ls -l /boot
result should include the name of the kernel with a time that makes sense (and an initramfs name if you used genkernel or made your own.
Code:
nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
the kernel and (initramfs) name(s) must exactly match the name(s) returned by ls -l /boot.
Code:
umount /mnt/gentoo/dev
umount /mnt/gentoo/sys
umount /mnt/gentoo/proc
umount /mnt/gentoo/boot
umount /mnt/gentoo
exit
reboot

sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick reply DONAHUE.

Sorry for being annoying but unfortunately I am facing simialr issue again after doing 1 more fresh install. 8O

I sat next to my friend who was able to configure grub successfully. I noticed all he modified is menu.lst.
I am now puzzled whats wrong I am doing.
This time I saw grub splash screen but got error message related to mount point. :roll:
Is it must to specify exact kernel numbering while modifying grub.conf?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the name of the kernel used in /boot/grub/grub.conf kernel line must exactly match the name you find for it by
Code:
ls /boot
. gentoo style is to edit grub.conf as menu.lst is a symlink to it. exact error message would be useful. if long a picture posted on a photo site and a url here
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried today patiently and alas same error.... :(

snapshot of error >> http://www.suseconf12.org/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=2&fullsize=1

I performed ls /boot and just saw file called "kernel".
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news bad news:grub configuration is working. The picture reveals that you are loading a kernel but that kernel is not configured with a driver for the hard drive controller and/or adapter. Please boot cd and run
Code:
lspci -k
and post the result here.
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Output of lspci -k = http://pastebin.com/Vv9U2LJB

I am installing Gentoo on 32bit XEON processor blade + vmware ESXi & selected SCSI controller while creating this vm = LSI Logic Parallel

Regards,
Amey.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use vmware or scsi but guessing:
Code:
Device Drivers  --->

SCSI device support  --->
< > RAID Transport Class                                                           
-*- SCSI device support                                                           
< > SCSI target support                                                           
[*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support                                                     
    *** SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM) ***                                 
<*> SCSI disk support                                                             
< > SCSI tape support                                                             
< > SCSI OnStream SC-x0 tape support                                               
<*> SCSI CDROM support                                                             
[ ]   Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)                           
<*> SCSI generic support                                                           
< > SCSI media changer support                                                     
[*] Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device                                             
[ ] Verbose SCSI error reporting (kernel size +=12K)                               
[ ] SCSI logging facility                                                         
[*] Asynchronous SCSI scanning                                                     
    SCSI Transports  --->                                                         
[ ] SCSI low-level drivers  --->                                                   
< > SCSI Device Handlers  --->                                                     
< > OSD-Initiator library

<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers  --->
 --- Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers                                           
[ ]   Verbose ATA error reporting                                                 
[*]   ATA ACPI Support                                                             
[ ]   SATA Port Multiplier support                                                 
      *** Controllers with non-SFF native interface ***                           
<*>   AHCI SATA support                                                           
< >   Platform AHCI SATA support                                                   
< >   Initio 162x SATA support                                                     
< >   ACard AHCI variant (ATP 8620)                                               
< >   Silicon Image 3124/3132 SATA support                                         
[*]   ATA SFF support (for legacy IDE and PATA)                                   
        *** SFF controllers with custom DMA interface ***                         
< >     Pacific Digital ADMA support                                               
< >     Pacific Digital SATA QStor support                                         
< >     Promise SATA SX4 support (Experimental)                                   
[*]     ATA BMDMA support                                                         
          *** SATA SFF controllers with BMDMA ***                                 
<*>       Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support
<snip>

[* ] Fusion MPT device support  --->
 --- Fusion MPT device support                                                           
<*>   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SPI                                               
< >   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for FC (NEW)                                           
< >   Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SAS (NEW)                                         
(128) Maximum number of scatter gather entries (16 - 128) (NEW)                         
< >   Fusion MPT misc device (ioctl) driver (NEW)                                       
[ ]   Fusion MPT logging facility (NEW)
needed in menuconfig.
sco1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I re modify make menuconfig & re compile kernel?

I tried by mounting /dev/sda1 as /boot & /dev/sda3 to / & tried to perform chroot and all. Not working. make menuconfig command also not working.
I am confused now. How can I proceed with this modification? :?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again I don't use vmware, but guessing:
in virtual environment, boot cd,
Code:
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
Then, if a manual kernel:
Quote:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
edit and save menuconfig, then
Code:
make && make modules_install && make install
then
Code:
 ls /boot
edit kernel line in grub.conf to the new kernel name.

else, for genkernel:
Quote:
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
edit and save menuconfig; allow genkernel to run to the end. Then
Code:
 ls /boot
edit kernel line and initrd line in grub.conf to the new kernel name and initramfs name.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: