View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjma2001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: fglrx xorg blank screen Reply with quote

Hi

http://bpaste.net/show/66732/

I have been going over the discussion forums and posts and trying for over a week to get this problem sorted. I have an hp dv6 laptop with switchable graphics. After I have emerged kde-meta I tried to startx, this resulted in my X starting with just a blank screen. I can tell the terminals are loading because if I type in reboot or telinit 0 the machine shuts down or reboots, its just my screen is always blank (It is illuminated black) I have pasted above the result of atigetsysteminfo, which I hope will be enough information to diagnose the problem. I have tried the radeon drivers with my dedicated gpu but the performance of it was the same as my low power igpu in windows, this will not do.

Please can someone assist me with solving this issue. I really do not wish to go back to windows and run linux in a virtual environment.

Regards
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you should be able to switch to a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. If you can't even do that, you must either login from remote (SSH from another machine). If you don't have SSH running, please boot a live CD, chroot into your Gentoo system, install net-misc/openssh and add sshd to the default runlevel, then reboot Assuming your network comes up ok, you can now log in from a different machine and go on fixing stuff.

Now for the actual problem: Usually, the first steps in troubleshooting X.org problems is looking for lines with (EE) in Xorg.0.log – and indeed you have quite a few of them, especially some of them complainig about ABI mismatches. This means that you should first update all X-related packages (emerge -avuND world should do), then restart X or reboot.

Another thing to try is running X without an xorg.conf at all – nowadays this config file causes more trouble than it solves. Simply rename it and reboot.
tjma2001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually rebuilding my modules now to get rid of the ABI mismatches. I had no idea the EE lines in Xorg.0.log were errors.. I will go through all of them and post back. My Xorg is responsive so using Ctrl-Alt-F1 works fine
tjma2001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got rid of all the EE lines as well as all the ABI mismatch errors. I am still stuck on the blank screen on startx. Any ideas on where I can look next.

http://bpaste.net/show/66882/ (atigetsysteminfo)
http://bpaste.net/show/66883/ (kernel config)
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the radeon driver in your kernel. Blacklist that, or compile a kernel without it.
tjma2001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver has been blacklisted and the module does not load on boot. If I run lsmod, it shows me fglrx, wl and agpgart
tjma2001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have now even tried downgrading the drivers and xorg-server and I have still not been able to make any progress. The same issue occurs, when I startx, its just a blank screen :/. Really needing some help.

Upon this giving me the same result I proceed to upgrade my version of xorg and the ati drivers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: