View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.9.3 extremely slow Reply with quote

I just updated the system which updated KDE from 4.8.5 to 4.9.3.

Now some KDE things are extremely slow. For example, it takes very long (>1 minute) for Dolphin to start.

Also, when I download a file with Chromium, the file dialog (kdialog) opens and then freezes for a long time.

Sometimes, also konsole freezes.

Console messages for Dolphin start:
Code:
dolphin(2035)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap

Nothing interesting in .xsession-errors or system log.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. My system is almost unusable now.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolved by a reboot!?
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you've just emerged the new KDE and want to run a program from 4.9.x in an environment of 4.8.x that was just uninstalled, the trouble is ahead. After rebooting the machine, you have a pure 4.9.x environment loaded and hence everything should work fine.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a reboot after the update. Then the problem happened. And disappeared after the 2nd reboot.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happening again with the same messages in konsole!

Also, (already running) Dolphin cannot download from an FTP server, when the problem appears.

Some additional information:
I have 2 local X sessions with 2 different users. When the problem happens, it happens for BOTH. It looks like dbus is not responding or something like this.
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some incompatibilities in configuration files cause the problem. Please check this thread on (K)Ubuntu forum. Hope it helps.
EDIT: Perhaps you could start from backing up and getting rid of ~/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc before you trash all .kde4 folder. Please keep us updated.
wfahren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at your processes? I had performance problems with kmail and other kde apps after the 4.9.3 udgrade and it turned out to be Nepomuk. When I ran top there were several virtuoso-t ( Nepomuk dBase process) processes eating up all my cpu cycles. I have a 4 core and all where going 100%. I don't like file indexing and just turned it off and the KDE desktop is noticeably faster.

To check run systemsettings from a command line and open "Desktop Search" under basic Settings you can turn off Nepomuk all together by deselecting "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" or What I do is only have it selected and deselect indexing and email indexers that way I can still search by file name in Dolphin, don't care about searching in a file I use grep for that.
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have such performance problems with Nepomuk on my mobile Core-i7 so I turned off the semantic desktop feature more than one year ago. I've almost forgotten about it.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the CPU. The CPU is idle.

Also, it's not Dolphin alone. When it happens, other program have problems, too. For example, konsole crashes when I select text. Or the taskbar freezes sometimes.

I can fix the issue by doing "killall -9 kded4".

Nevertheless, I have deleted the Dolphin config and will see, if it helps.

I am thinking, it has something to do with the 2nd X session.

After searching around the Internet, people with similar issues have been told, that some Plasmoid could be the problem or Phonon/Pulse or Nepomuk (as suggested here).

I have disabled Desktop search and the Nepomuk service but still got the problem. Also, I do not use Pulse audio.

I am using the standard Plasmoids (menu, taskbar, clock, desktop notifications, klipper) and also kbiff, kmix and the lock/shutdown plasmoid. I used KNemo, but I already disabled that.

It's unbelievable that some rogue app can hang kded4, which is a process that is needed for so many things in KDE.
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try to create a new user account, log in and see if you still have problems there.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the next thing will be deleting all KDE settings, which should be the same as a new user account.

But the thing is, the issue does not happen immediately or all the time. Just every now and then.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting Dolphin settings did not help.

After it happened again, I thought maybe kbiff is the source of the problem. After removing it from autostart, it then happened every time after login. I just had to start something from a task bar shortcut to trigger it.

So I removed HP-Toolbox, klipper, kmix, lock screen, system monitor and clock. And it still happened after login and start of an application.

Then I rebooted and it worked again. This proves that just killing kded4 does not "repair" it entirely.

I have now settled on just removing kbiff and HP-Toolbox and will see what happens next.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened again... Now I removed the lock screen Plasmoid and will do locking with the menu.

I have been a KDE user for a long time (since 3.x). But 4.x never really got (what I consider) "stable". Every release is buggy. Instead of concentrating on robustness, they are adding features.

Also, they dropped support for multi-head (Zaphod) screen configuration (ALT-TAB does not work anymore), because it is a seldom used feature and there will be a new X server (Wayland) in a few years(!) anyway...

I think, I will give Gnome a chance on the weekend. Anyone any tips or recommendations about Gnome for former KDE users?
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I installed Gnome (2.x) and configured it to my needs. Works OK so far. Funny thing is, as I was still used to KDE apps, I had konsole and kbiff running under Gnome. Suddenly, konsole froze.

So, even without running the full KDE, this problem happens. So, it is also no Plasmoid at fault.

In the future, I will refrain from using KDE apps as far as possible.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on kde-4.9.4.
I never use dolphin,I like konqueror better.
For browser I use Firefox.
Never had the problems you describe.
The only thing that doesn't work (since 4.6?) is kscd.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe emerge --info would help someone in the know to determine the source of this problem?
gaga
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I experienced the same problem. I have a fresh installation without any specific customization (amd64 / 02 -pipe ...).

Randomly, dolphin freeze for about 60 seconds (or more...) and I cannot open other application until dolphin "wake up". I experienced the exactly same problem with Konsole. I thought at first that it was related to Network Manager, but it's the same without it. I already recompile all my system.

I tried KDE 3.5.x and I was very reliable. After switching to KDE 4.x, I was so disappointed that I switched to gnome classic... this week-end, I wanted to give another chance to KDE... and I really thing that I'm not ready to abandon Gnome Classic. Sorry about that.
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that you have dbus problems? I only experienced similar problems under high disk-IO - or when I had dbus problems.

I don’t know exactly how I fixed them, but it could be something with startup of your session.

(sidenote: It’s funny how monolithic kernels get touted as faster, because they do not need that many context switches due to less Inter Process Calls, when at the same time our desktop environments heavily rely on IPCs due to dbus. And on monolithic kernels those IPCs are slow…)

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be quite possible dbus problems. But the problems for me started at Dec 8 with KDE 4.9.3. And my dbus 1.6.8 is unchanged since Oct 7.
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how ppl trying to fix things and asking for help without providing a single log.

how about these for a chance?

1 gfx driver being used
2 status of eselect opengl/mesa
3 dmesg
4 Xorg.0.log
5 .config
6 start apps in console with verbose or debug options
7 info in USE flags being used.
8 surprise me
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still a problem in the current stable KDE version?

Gnome 2.x is now obsolete and I don't want to be forced to pulseaudio and systemd by Gnome 3.x, so I'd like to switch back to KDE.
karomann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using latest stable 4.11.2 and it works really nicely. I am not using any custom settings, like fancy theming, etc., and also I have following USE flags (un-)set globally, which can also improve performance: "-semantic-desktop -ipv6". Please also remove the Blur desktop effect - it can be really slow on some graphic chipsets, even (especially?) on the modern ones. There are also some plasmoids which seem to slow down KDE - e.g. on my desktop the Lancelot plasmoid had terrible impact on overall system performance. The general rule is, the less plasmoids you have, the better your system performs.

There is also an old yet still very much up-to-date Ubuntu guide on KDE performance tuning, which you can find here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1889034

For me the KDE also seems to generally slow down over time - maybe with subsequent updates the legacy configuration has negative impact on performance... So unless you are after fresh install you may try to remove (or rename) you user's .kde4 folder (of course when not logged into KDE)
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this post is old, but i'm having a similar issue with kde kdialog on chromium. i have a newly installed gentoo system. kde 4.12.5.

Code:

mark@lightning ~ $ emerge -s google-chrome
Searching...                                                                                                                     
[ Results for search key : google-chrome ]                                                                                       
[ Applications found : 3 ]                                                                                                       

*  www-client/google-chrome                                                                                                     
      Latest version available: 38.0.2125.122_p1
      Latest version installed: 38.0.2125.122_p1
      Size of files: 46,690 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.google.com/chrome
      Description:   The web browser from Google
      License:       google-chrome

if i right click on a page in chrome, and select save as, the kdialog window is displayed and hangs for about 2 minutes. eventually it displays, but it is very, VERY slow to respond. firefox appears to use it's own dialog box, and not a system box to save as. it works fine.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just stumbled about this post while searching to resolve my issues:
For me, dolphin sometimes freezes, but can be killed, then at times, the whole KDE desktop freezes for minutes, not a single (KDE-)program is responding. Gkrellm shows the CPU idling.
I am on latest ~amd64 here with a very powerful machine. Also, 2 different user accounts are affected, log files show absolutely nothing. All I got was this dbus message as well.
Code:

D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

After dropping to Terminal 1 and simply rebooting, everything just works fine.
Did anyone of you ever resolved this issue?
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not happen on newer versions of KDE anymore for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: