Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Swiss seek progress on U.S. tax deal - economy minister
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hutsonki
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Swiss seek progress on U.S. tax deal - economy minister Reply with quote

(Reuters) - Switzerland hopes to restart talks with the U.S. over a long-simmering tax dispute following the re-election of president Obama, its economy minister was quoted as saying on Sunday.
Switzerland is trying to reach a deal to end investigations by U.S. tax authorities into 11 banks, including Credit Suisse (CSGN.VX) and Julius Baer (BAER.VX), suspected of helping clients dodge U.S. taxes with the help of offshore bank accounts.
It needs the tax deal so that it can normalise its banking relations with the United States and wants the investigations dropped in return for the payment of hefty fines by the Swiss banks and the transfer of names of thousands of U.S. clients.
"We are seeking clarification quickly," Johann Schneider-Ammann told the Zentralschweiz am Sonntag newspaper. "The situation has been blocked recently. That must now change."
The talks had stalled in the run-up to the U.S. election, and finance minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf has suggested the ball is firmly in the U.S. court.
The two countries are at odds over U.S. demands for Switzerland to hand over bank data from before 2009.
In a separate interview with the BaslerZeitung at the weekend, Credit Suisse Chairman Urs Rohner said the unresolved tax deal was a burden.
"We are doing everything that we can and may to resolve the problem. But in the end there is a need for a solution that all involved will have to agree to."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Toblerone, but I always make the mistake of trying to bite the sections off instead of breaking them first. I end up with a badly bruised hard palate. Is this related to this random story?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1224
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a very plain mood this week. I think I'll go with Bud Light.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany just bought another cd full with data about tax evaders - will bring in a nice amount of money. And shows that the Swiss and their banks are still lying, cheating fuckfaces who deserve a good, long starvation.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to just create separate internal banking system for the purpose of helping people protect themselves against fiscal oppression. Then they can have another banking system which operates internationally. I'd apply for fiscal asylum.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
They need to just create separate internal banking system for the purpose of helping people protect themselves against fiscal oppression. Then they can have another banking system which operates internationally. I'd apply for fiscal asylum.


and you will stop using streets. You won't fly in planes which adhere to federal and or international regulations. You will only eat own grown food. You will never call for police.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I stop using streets? I've already stopped flying due to the TSA. I have never called police. And my food is purchased from private corporations.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Why would I stop using streets? I've already stopped flying due to the TSA. I have never called police. And my food is purchased from private corporations.


because you don't want to pay taxes. Streets are build and maintained with those tax dollars. The police protects you just with its presence. No need to call them to reap benefits of their existance. And the food you buy from private corporations is heavily subsidized (taxes!) and regulated (taxes!). You really don't want to eat unregulated food. Because you don't want to die because of lead or melamin poisioning.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The existence of streets does not require a government. I'm opposed to subsidizing, so you are making the case for me regarding taxes! And apparently you've missed the part about food imports from questionable countries which may in fact contain melamine or other hazards. Bringing us to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with what they stamp with approval. Not the least of which may come from questionable countries and contain melamine.

Now, all that said, I have on more than one occasion indicated support of "infrastructure" taxes. I am also willing to see it done without government (you'll have to engage dmitchell for details). 10% is more than generous. 15% as an interim rate while weening off the addiction.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US federal government thugocracy is borrowing $4.8 billion each day. Any penny which isn't tightly nailed down will be hoovered into the black hole of the stupidity of government waste.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spent
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 May 2004
Posts: 51
Location: Bawlmer Hon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
pjp wrote:
Why would I stop using streets? I've already stopped flying due to the TSA. I have never called police. And my food is purchased from private corporations.


because you don't want to pay taxes. Streets are build and maintained with those tax dollars. The police protects you just with its presence. No need to call them to reap benefits of their existance. And the food you buy from private corporations is heavily subsidized (taxes!) and regulated (taxes!). You really don't want to eat unregulated food. Because you don't want to die because of lead or melamin poisioning.


It's not that we don't want to pay taxes, taxes are necessary, it's that we don't approve of what most of our tax dollars are used for.

Corporate welfare
Spreading American influence - (just creates resentment)
Having military bases in over 120 countries (Why?)
FHA loans (if you can't afford to buy a house, be responsible, rent an apartment)
Dept. of Homeland security (unneeded bureaucracy)
Dept of Education (another unneeded bureaucracy, the schools are run by the individual states)

Plus, general government waste. There is no desire to save money. Since the people spending the money didn't earn it, there is no desire to spend it responsibly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
pjp wrote:
Why would I stop using streets? I've already stopped flying due to the TSA. I have never called police. And my food is purchased from private corporations.


because you don't want to pay taxes. Streets are build and maintained with those tax dollars. The police protects you just with its presence. No need to call them to reap benefits of their existance. And the food you buy from private corporations is heavily subsidized (taxes!) and regulated (taxes!). You really don't want to eat unregulated food. Because you don't want to die because of lead or melamin poisioning.


It's not that we don't want to pay taxes, taxes are necessary, it's that we don't approve of what most of our tax dollars are used for.

Corporate welfare
Spreading American influence - (just creates resentment)
Having military bases in over 120 countries (Why?)
FHA loans (if you can't afford to buy a house, be responsible, rent an apartment)
Dept. of Homeland security (unneeded bureaucracy)
Dept of Education (another unneeded bureaucracy, the schools are run by the individual states)

Plus, general government waste. There is no desire to save money. Since the people spending the money didn't earn it, there is no desire to spend it responsibly.


even i can agree with that list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1567
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
I like Toblerone, but I always make the mistake of trying to bite the sections off instead of breaking them first. I end up with a badly bruised hard palate. Is this related to this random story?

It's designed specifically as an intelligence test. They watch the monkey to see if it does that more than once. :P
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
schools are run by the individual states
And based on how poorly many of them perform, shouldn't be. All that aside, the issue is the list of things you would axe vs. keep isn't likely to be agreed upon by the majority. Solution, 10% tax. Do with it what you want, but never more than 10%. Automatically adjust for good times and bad.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum