View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: lost mouse and wacom tablet - latest update [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm on unstable amd64. Did an update that was for the last 3 or so weeks from the last update. I have the e-warnings going to my email and read them before rebooting - didn't see anything like a xorg update or anything. When I rebooted I lost my logitech wireless usb mouse (usb receiver) and usb wacom tablet. My logitech keyboard works fine thankfully.

An lsusb shows a logitech receiver.. so thinking it sees it. No mention of wacom though.

Another weird thing that may be unrelated is the reboot also lost my ethernet connection. It complained I didn't have the module when trying to start net.eth0 manually. So I did a modprobe -a r8169 and fixed that.

I'm typing this on systemrescueCD right now and the mouse works fine under it.

I did rebuild the x11-drivers with no effect.

Maybe my system was using an old config file or something that finally went away? Any help appreciated. It is a bit difficult to get around without the mouse on webpages and whatnot.. not sure I know how how to copy paste things from dmesg or the xorg-X11.log, etc.. a bit painful also to tab around a webpage with a lot of links like the forum. But I can manage. So I would be willing to give more info.

thanks, JD

[edit] Seems like the update also killed my onboard audio. I also have an ICE1712 PCI audio card and it was no longer recognized. Fixed them with modprobe and adding to /etc/conf.d/modules.

I plugged in a USB logitech model mouse with a stand receive... the kind that cradles and charges the mouse when not in use, and that one works.

I don't appear to have any udev rules (haven't needed to in the past) for the mouse or wacom.

Last edited by hunky on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:29 am; edited 2 times in total
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky wrote:
I did rebuild the x11-drivers with no effect.

That's strange - it always works for me :?

Did you try revdep-rebuild :?:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BillWho,

I did try a revdep-rebuild and it found everything to be fine. I'll go through the emerge --depclean next to make sure that is cleaned up.

I got the wacom back by doing modprobe.. now at least I have mouse pointing ability for navigating around webpages, etc. I remember most keystrokes but it gets tedious tabbing around. Don't know shortcuts for that.

So something nuked my modules. But that mouse must be a different deal because I don't think it had a module.. just a usb mouse and receiver.

/jd
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky,

Genlop would help with the emerge log file.

genlop -l -u --date 12/03/2012 --date 12/05/2012 or genlop -l -u --date 2 days ago :wink:

I have a Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver and the loaded modules are:
Code:
laptop bill # lsmod|grep logitech
hid_logitech_dj        10227  0
usbhid                 35703  1 hid_logitech_dj
if that helps any :?

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the best! The two modules fixed it - the first one did but I went ahead with the second.

I'll try to figure out a way to remember that genlop deal - installed it and ran your command. Of the 140 or so apps installed there's some I just don't know what they do so can't figure out the culprit(s).

thanks! /jd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: