Insensitive to hurt God’s feelings by not using oil
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Insensitive to hurt God’s feelings by not using oil Reply with quote

Quote:
Bryan Fischer, the director of issues analysis of the conservative fundamentalist American Family Association, on Thursday told a so-called “expert” who denies climate change that not using God’s fossil fuels would be like “crushing” someone’s feelings by rejecting their birthday present.

The Cornwall Alliance’s Calvin Beisner, who has previously said that believing in climate change “is an insult to God,” explained on Thursday that the Bible said it was also very rude to not use oil, coal and natural gas.

“The wicked and lazy master was the one who buried his talent in the ground and didn’t do anything to multiply it,” Beisner explained. “That’s essentially what those who say we need to stop using oil, coal and natural gas are telling us to do. Just leave those resources buried in the ground, rather than pulling them out and multiplying their value for human benefit.”

Fischer likened the situation to a birthday present he was given at the age of six.

“I opened up a birthday present that I didn’t like, and I said it right out, ‘Oh, I don’t like those,’” the radio host recalled. “And it just crushed — and the person that gave me gift was there. You know, I just kind of blurted it out, ‘I don’t like those.’ And it just crushed that person. It was enormously insensitive of me to do that.”

“And you think, that’s kind of how we’re treating God when he’s given us these gifts of abundant and inexpensive and effective fuel sources,” Fischer added. “And we don’t thank him for it and we don’t use it.”

“You know, God has buried those treasures there because he loves to see us find them.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/30/bryan-fischer-enormously-insensitive-to-hurt-gods-feelings-by-not-using-oil/

:lol:
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he's suggesting that we should worhsip butthurt god? How is that a god? :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explains the increased ferocity of coastal storms: we hurt God's feelings by deprecating fossil fuels.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Facepalm *

Nothing to see here. Everyone move along.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be hard to be member of any religious group theses days with nutcases having the opportunity to reach masses of people with their weird ideas.
Now it's time for the harvest
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to find a vocal idiot in any group, and use that to disparage the lot. It takes more balls to recognize when someone is doing that, and not be led by the nose into bigotry and intolerance.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
It's easy to find a vocal idiot in any group, and use that to disparage the lot. It takes more balls to recognize when someone is doing that, and not be led by the nose into bigotry and intolerance.

It's more than just a lone idiot, nary a week goes by without at least one fundie making an equally absurd comment making it into the public eye, and that's just those that do, I can't imagine how many and how often such comments are made by ordinary fundies.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what this guy thinks of marijuana?
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
It's more than just a lone idiot, nary a week goes by without at least one fundie making an equally absurd comment making it into the public eye, and that's just those that do, I can't imagine how many and how often such comments are made by ordinary fundies.

Nary a week goes by without someone being struck by lightning too. I guess almost everyone is struck by lightning!
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

And you care...why?
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
This explains the increased ferocity of coastal storms: we hurt God's feelings by deprecating fossil fuels.

The other day I was reading some code and I kept seeing comments to the effect that this or that function was depreciated and shouldn't be used.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
And you care...why?

I care because I live in the same world where brain damaged morons like that are influencing politics, even a few sitting on the US Senate Science Committee.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Nary a week goes by without someone being struck by lightning too. I guess almost everyone is struck by lightning!

How many lightening strike victims grab the attention of the internet? Or end up on federal science committees proposing everyone wear a lightening rod on their head?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
And you care...why?

I care because I live in the same world where brain damaged morons like that are influencing politics, even a few sitting on the US Senate Science Committee.

That is the nature of the Democratic system. Not everybody's going to agree with you. And it doesn't matter how stupid you think they are.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Leland Yee tried to push legislation in California that would have resulted in my AR-15 being confiscated without compensation. How do you think that makes me feel?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

EDIT: For what it's worth, Leland Yee tried to push legislation in California that would have resulted in my AR-15 being confiscated without compensation. How do you think that makes me feel?

Like this probably.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
How many lightening strike victims grab the attention of the internet? Or end up on federal science committees proposing everyone wear a lightening rod on their head?

I don't know. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the point I was making, which was that "nary a week goes by" means nothing.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
That is the nature of the Democratic system. Not everybody's going to agree with you. And it doesn't matter how stupid you think they are.

It's not how stupid I think they are, they've objectively proven themselves to be morons. They're completely unqualified to reside on the science committee when they can't even get over the fact that evolution is a real observed phenomena, that radiometrics are clockwork, that the planet is 4.5 billion years old, and the universe 14 billion years old.

wswartzendruber wrote:

Like moving somewhere without an assault rifle ban?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
I don't know. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the point I was making, which was that "nary a week goes by" means nothing.

It speaks of frequency of stupid being spoken, the danger such stupid represents, and eroding the notion that absurd fundie ideas are the exception rather than the rule among fundies.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
It speaks of frequency of stupid being spoken, the danger such stupid represents, and eroding the notion that absurd fundie ideas are the exception rather than the rule among fundies.

BoneKracker said we shouldn't overgeneralize based on a small number of vocal idiots, and you countered that the number of idiots must not be small, since you encounter one every week. Weren't you saying that we can conclude from your weekly encounters that the number of idiots isn't small? I don't think that's a valid conclusion.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
BoneKracker said we shouldn't overgeneralize based on a small number of vocal idiots, and you countered that the number of idiots must not be small, since you encounter one every week. Weren't you saying that we can conclude from your weekly encounters that the number of idiots isn't small? I don't think that's a valid conclusion.

And I pointed out that the few that actually make their stupid be publicly known is sample bias in and of itself, and only the tip of the iceberg of fundamentalist stupid.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
And I pointed out that the few that actually make their stupid be publicly known is sample bias in and of itself, and only the tip of the iceberg of fundamentalist stupid.

OK. Well think about this: What information do you need to give a 95% confidence interval for the proportion of christians who believe it hurts God's feelings not to use his fossil fuels? Do you have said information?

Last edited by dmitchell on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
It must be hard to be member of any religious group theses days with nutcases having the opportunity to reach masses of people with their weird ideas.

++

Some of the things said by members in my church nearly make me want to slap them and tell them, "NO! Bad thinker!".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: