View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Using Intel HD or Nvidia proprietary driver Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a T420 that has Nvidia Optimus graphics. Fortunately, I can also tell the BIOS to use either the integrated Intel HD graphics or Nvidia discrete graphics. When I'm at university, I don't need nvidia graphics but long battery life. At home, I sometimes use the laptop to play Diablo 3, which runs a bit better on the nvidia card.
The Intel HD won't run with a xorg.conf in place, whereas the nvidia card won't work without one. So my question is, can I put both into a xorg.conf and the X-server will use the entry for Intel when the nvidia card is switched off and use the nvidia one when it is on? Or do I need some sort of script that handles that for me?
Now I have a xorg.conf that I rename to xorg.conf.nv every time I've finished using it, so next time I start the computer there won't be a xorg.conf and the intel driver works.
I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution.
I know there is Bumblebee, but switching while the computer runs is not really what I'm after.
Now it's time for the harvest
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest is having two config files, then telling X which to use:
Code:
startx -- -config xorg.conf.nv
or
Code:
startx -- -config xorg.conf.intel

You could also patch X so that you don't need a config file for nvidia. Arch does that: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/autoconfig-nvidia.patch?h=packages/xorg-server (the patch is a bit wrong, the NV3 section should say "nv", but I doubt anyone still has a NV3 card anyway)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: