Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KMS causing boot failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sahrxaa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Location: Cyberspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: KMS causing boot failure Reply with quote

Enabling kernel mode setting, as per the instructions for xf86-video-ati, causes my system to hang at boot before anything can be processed, making debugging rather difficult for obvious reasons.

Booting with parameter "nomodeset" allows me to boot but of course X crashes for lack of KMS support.

Rolling back to xf86-video-ati-6.14.4-r1, xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-drivers-1.12 with nomodeset active allows me to boot up and startx, but I am confronted with LIBGL errors when starting certain programs.

If I compile relevant KMS options as modules instead of built-in, I can boot but enabling (modprobe radeon modeset=1) causes my screen to loose connection and I am forced to blindly shutdown the system.

It's also worth noting that I have tried several Live CDs from other distributions which enable KMS by default and had the _same_ issue -- failure to boot the livecd without passing "nomodeset" to the kernel.

I will supply any information I can as requested -- I am reasonably linux savvy, but somewhat new to Gentoo and this sort of low-level breakage is way over my head to debug, and I have found absolutely no case examples online similar to this.

Am typing this up from my desktop, since the laptop having these issues is stuck in console with horribly large font making forum posting difficult. I'll dump any requested information onto a USB and post it from my desktop upon request.
_________________
The body is a cage, entwining and burdening the mind so as to halt expansion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4971

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is hard to start help you without knowing what gpu you are using.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sahrxaa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Location: Cyberspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
it is hard to start help you without knowing what gpu you are using.


System: HP Compaq 6910p
GPU: Radeon Mobility x2300

(apologies, I should have posted at least that much in the OP)
_________________
The body is a cage, entwining and burdening the mind so as to halt expansion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 2550
Location: In the city of dreaming spires

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made sure there is no firmware blob you have to include into your kernel for KMS to work?
(Device Drivers->Generic Driver Options->External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary, CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE)

EDIT: Oh yes, I was assuming you are using xf86-video-ati.


Last edited by Voltago on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4971

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sahrxaa wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
it is hard to start help you without knowing what gpu you are using.


System: HP Compaq 6910p
GPU: Radeon Mobility x2300

(apologies, I should have posted at least that much in the OP)


latest ati-drivers doesn't supports your card, you have two options:
  • use radeon
  • use last supporting version of ati-drivers


please decide which one you want an we will try to assist you in setting this up.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sahrxaa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Location: Cyberspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Have you made sure there is no firmware blob you have to include into your kernel for KMS to work?
(Device Drivers->Generic Driver Options->External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary, CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE)

EDIT: Oh yes, I was assuming you are using xf86-video-ati.


Daggystyle wrote:
latest ati-drivers doesn't supports your card, you have two options:

use radeon
use last supporting version of ati-drivers



please decide which one you want an we will try to assist you in setting this up.


I am already using xf86-video-ati ("Radeon"). Specifically, the latest available version -- xf86-video-ati-7.0.0

I have installed linux-firmware and already set the aforementioned kernel option for firmware blobs.

Thank you for the responses.
_________________
The body is a cage, entwining and burdening the mind so as to halt expansion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4971

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sahrxaa wrote:
Voltago wrote:
Have you made sure there is no firmware blob you have to include into your kernel for KMS to work?
(Device Drivers->Generic Driver Options->External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary, CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE)

EDIT: Oh yes, I was assuming you are using xf86-video-ati.


Daggystyle wrote:
latest ati-drivers doesn't supports your card, you have two options:

use radeon
use last supporting version of ati-drivers



please decide which one you want an we will try to assist you in setting this up.


I am already using xf86-video-ati ("Radeon"). Specifically, the latest available version -- xf86-video-ati-7.0.0

I have installed linux-firmware and already set the aforementioned kernel option for firmware blobs.

Thank you for the responses.


ok, can you post the dmesg of the problematic boot please?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 32457
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sahrxaa,

Have you installed linux-firmware?
Thats more firmware than you could ever need but all the radeon files are there.

Providing you make radeon and radeon KMS support as <M> in the kernel it should just work.
Make it built in is possible but harder as the firmware must be built into the kernel too.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 5674

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda doubt linux-firmware is required here, but we should probably go back to the basic question - pastebin your kernel config.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 9168

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the description, it sounds like the monitor is switching to powersave mode. This can happen if the system is (1) using Radeon KMS, (2) not running X, and (3) not configured with the framebuffer console.

OP: in addition to posting the other items requested, please check whether blindly starting X makes the system usable when Radeon KMS is enabled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sahrxaa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Location: Cyberspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon quite a bit more web crawling, it looks like this is a known, if obscure issue with certain video cards. Older Radeon Mobility cards in particular seem to suffer. The only way afflicted cards can boot is with "nomodeset" parameter or rolling back to earlier packages where KMS isn't mandatory.

This behavior is consistent with every new distro release I've tried, presumably where the latest open source ATI driver is in use. So I suppose this is in the wrong section, though I thought it to be a kernel related problem at first.

I'll file a bug report with the proper folks. _Maybe_ it will be fixed in a later release. Thanks again for the responses.

For posterity, in case someone else is using an Radeon Mobility X2300 and has KMS woes, rolling back to xorg-server-1.12.4, xorg-drivers-1.12 and xf86-video-ati-6.14.4-r1 is a valid workaround. The console is hideous and opengl games are flakey, but everything else works. =/
_________________
The body is a cage, entwining and burdening the mind so as to halt expansion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum