Wine 1.5.18 and emerge no longer works.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elendale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Wine 1.5.18 and emerge no longer works. Reply with quote

To give some background as to why I wanted 1.5.18, is simply because I want to play lord of the rings online on my gentoo computer.

During the installation process, I had uninstalled bluez since it was causing slot issues with udev-init. I had also --autounmask-write several packages, mainly udev related. The installation went fine afterwards, but at that point I still couldn't play lotro. I was having graphic card issues.

So I turned off my computer, came back to it several hours later and xserver doesn't want to start. I did revdep-rebuild just in case something broke, but now emerge doesn't want to work.

Because I cannot copy and paste the entire error log of emerge, I'll type out some of it.

Code:

Traceback (most recent call last);
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 48, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/_emerge/main.py", line 1009 in emerge_main
   settings, trees, mtimedb = load_emerge_config()
 File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/proxy/objectproxy.py", line 30 in __call__
  result = object.__getattribute__(self, '_get_target')()

That was printed out when I typed emerge --sync. None of the emerge commands work at the moment.

Following some advice on various threads, I did type python-updater and at the very end of it, it said "Python 2 and Python 3 not installed".

I would definitely like some advice on this. Please note I will be out for class for approximately 2 hours, so I will not reply back immediately. Thank you.
Elendale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally decided that I'll just use ubuntu again, and I'll probably switch to arch in the summer.

I love tinkering, and I've been using gentoo exclusively for over a year, but I really just need a computer that doesn't take time to maintain.

With that said, I'll be back.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck & have fun with *buntu/Arch

but in the long run you'll probably find out that "maintaining" a low-maintenance design distro is more stressful than Gentoo and return :wink:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: