ROP:Muslim radio station fined
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: ROP:Muslim radio station fined Reply with quote

Muslim radio station fined for saying gay people should be tortured

Quote:
"If there are two such persons among you, that do this evil, the shameful act,
what do you have to do? Torture them; punish them; beat them and give them mental torture."

Nice.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ROP:Muslim radio station fined Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:

Quote:
what do you have to do? Torture them; punish them; beat them and give them mental torture."

Nice.

what do you think? advocating violence? I think so. fine them.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the special influence they have, a fine unless severe seems insufficient.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ROP:Muslim radio station fined Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Quote:

Nice.

Fuck that; their broadcasting license should be suspended. They were fined only £4,000. I'd just keep paying the fine and keep saying the same things. That fine is not even in line with the costs of simple advertising. It's not even a slap on the wrist.

They go on and on, too. She also hints that such people should be killed:
Quote:
"Mental punishment means rebuke them, beat them, humiliate them, admonish and curse them, and beat them up. This command was sent in the beginning because capital punishment had not yet been sent down."

They should have been fined more like £100,000, and told that if it happens again, their broadcasting license will be suspended for six months.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: ROP:Muslim radio station fined Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

I thought that carried a heavier tariff, rather than just a fine ? I don't know if the police
have looked at this.

Edit - treading carefully here (I'm a bit leery about posting anything to do with
"minority groups" that hasn't been previously reported on, with the way things are going here,
there's always the vague chance of 'incitement of racial hatred' being levelled. Which
even if a bit far fetched, speaks volumes about the UK) - look at certain political
parties as an example.

I don't need to name them, but if their leaders stood up and said something similar,
there'd be calls for a harsher response.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: ROP:Muslim radio station fined Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Quote:

Nice.

Fuck that; their broadcasting license should be suspended. They were fined only £4,000. I'd just keep paying the fine and keep saying the same things. That fine is not even in line with the costs of simple advertising. It's not even a slap on the wrist.

They go on and on, too. She also hints that such people should be killed:
Quote:
"Mental punishment means rebuke them, beat them, humiliate them, admonish and curse them, and beat them up. This command was sent in the beginning because capital punishment had not yet been sent down."

They should have been fined more like £100,000, and told that if it happens again, their broadcasting license will be suspended for six months.

agreed.

John-Boy wrote:

I thought that carried a heavier tariff, rather than just a fine ? I don't know if the police
have looked at this.

Edit - treading carefully here (I'm a bit leery about posting anything to do with
"minority groups" that hasn't been previously reported on, with the way things are going here,
there's always the vague chance of 'incitement of racial hatred' being levelled. Which
even if a bit far fetched, speaks volumes about the UK) - look at certain political
parties as an example.

I don't need to name them, but if their leaders stood up and said something similar,
there'd be calls for a harsher response.

I find the problem here is that there doesn't seem to be clear rules. In the US and Canada you have laws and a supreme court. seems so murky here. speech there is protected quite vigorously by courts.

in any case, I am sure you are safe. I won't report you to the thought police :)
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I have a completely different way of doing things. In my little world, people can say whatever they want. But if I'm gay, and a group sets out to persecute me, I'll probably kill one of them and hang their body in public for his friends to see.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
In my little world, people can say whatever they want.
If that ever gets outside your little world, it may be illegal in the US. Inciting violence, and now, the sentence multiplier of "hate crime."

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Wow. I have a completely different way of doing things. In my little world, people can say whatever they want. But if I'm gay, and a group sets out to persecute me, I'll probably kill one of them and hang their body in public for his friends to see.

That's one form of expression. Just to make sure people get the point, you might want to tack a note to his forehead, though.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

violence is worse than inciting it.

people can say what they want, but when you start making threats and tell people to torture others, you have crossed the line.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

So then leave me alone, and there won't be a problem. Fundamentally, I think we should each be able to do whatever we want so long as it does not directly affect the lives of others. Running your mouth doesn't affect me. Inciting violence doesn't affect me. Being violent towards me does effect me, and it's likely to effect you even more.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Being violent towards me does effect me, and it's likely to effect you even more.
++

lol

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
juniper wrote:

So then leave me alone, and there won't be a problem.

:lol:
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
juniper wrote:

I would count kill X as not leaving you alone. but I am willing to be american about it. only a direct incitement of violence should be disallowed.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem the harm done until then. What is he going to hurt me with, his thoughts?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
juniper wrote:

I would count kill X as not leaving you alone. but I am willing to be american about it. only a direct incitement of violence should be disallowed.

A direct incitement of criminal violence should be a criminal offense similar to conspiracy to commit said violence, and in my opinion, should be punished according to its likelihood to result in said violence.

Slander and libel are also against the law, but are civil offenses. Other than these, people should be free to express their opinions (and to suffer the social and commercial consequences thereof).

Punishing according to the likelihood to result in said violence gets interesting in the case of broadcast media. If saying out loud, "We need somebody to kill that motherfucker!", has roughly a 0.000001 probability (a 0.0001% chance) of causing any given individual who hears it to actually do it, and a million people hear it, then the person who said it should get a sentence similar to that of conspiracy to commit murder.

So if this bitch telling people to beat up queers was talking to, say, 10,000 listeners, the station should not only be getting a heavy fine and moving a step toward suspension of its license, she as an individual should probably be making a donation of $10,000 to some organization that prevents violence against queers, in lieu of spending a month in the slammer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: