Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
rsync / emerge --sync crashes router (BT Voyager 240)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: rsync / emerge --sync crashes router (BT Voyager 240) Reply with quote

I wasn't sure whether to post this in off the wall or not.

What I'm finding is that a lot of connections and/or high traffic appear to crash our router. This often means rsync is enough to kill it.

It's a:

Code:
BT Voyager 240:
Firmware Version   2.18.01.18_a023g1.d15g   
Boot Loader Version   1.0.37-5.5.24

(unlocked)

That's no big deal. I have a new router upstairs. But...
I want to know a bit more about this. Really I'd like to figure out why this happens. I've seen this happen before with all sorts of routers and really I'd like to be able to fix it or at least know a bit more as to what might be happening as I expect it will happen again with the next router I buy (groan).

When the router/modem is turned on I can hear it make a high pitched sound that some other people might not be able to hear. This sound isn't there after it's stopped routing. It doesn't feel particularly hot after crashing...
There is also a telnet interface too but I can't see any logging capability there.

Certainly I will make sure the next router can run dd-wrt (or openwrt) but is there anything that can be done with what we already have here? I have a WL500G with dd-wrt that can log just how many connections are being made when it dies.

I wonder if it's the routing of the modem that's dying all the time.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this kind of thing?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used one of those for many years - for same reason - crashing under load. I do have one as a backup unit though.
I started with running old computers as router, latest one I purchased for this very purpose, a low power Atom box.
You can make one in no time if you have an old computer with two NIC's, even hard drive is not needed, pfSense (or similar) can run from CD or flashcard.
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Thomson based routers and a couple of inbound NAT's kills them too - for years I have set them up in bridge mode and use an old laptop as router, firewall, misc server. Works much, much better. Initially I did it with Gentoo Linux, now am using OpenBSD (and have other Linuxes hanging about to do what obsd can't). Lots of fun.

I reckon the routers they give you for your ADSL(+) connections are just for "normies" (as my other half likes to put it), if you want to set up a single server you might as well get a proper router or just use a computer.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be an idea.

Instead of moving the routers around I could offload the routing from the Voyager to different route and bridge to that
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: