View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Automount fails after KDE 4.9, udev upgrade [solved] Reply with quote

After upgrading kde, automounts of usb drives (I haven't checked what else) fail with:

Quote:

the system responded: An unspecified error has occurred.: Not Authorized

Needless to say, this is pretty frustrating, since the error message says nothing about what's wrong and there's nothing relevant in /var/log/messages.

Mounting by hand works, that's not the problem.

I tried editing with the file /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy but it's an incomprehensible mess of xml, I'm going back to Windows if I have to deal with that. And anyway, I had no idea what to change or what is wrong. Now I've probably compounded the problem.

Help!

Cheers,

Jon.

Last edited by jesnow on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize, polkit is the new shiny toy, and it breaks a lot. And a lot of the semi-knowledgeable people in gentoo are assholes about it. Fortunately this particular problem is solvable if you don't panic, but leads to another problem (can't change policies in the system settings), which I will post separately about.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-932020-start-0.html

In the end, change "no" to "yes" in every entry in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy that has to do with mount. You have to do this as root. The gui way to do this in KDE (system settings->Actions Policy-> org.freedesktop->The udisks project->Mount a device) does not work.

Cheers,

Jon
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
To summarize, polkit is the new shiny toy...

What year is wherever you are ?

While polkit/consolekit do get annoying on occasions, in most cases they work just fine.
Tracing the problem back to its source is a bit tedious, cause it will likely involve something like dbus-monitor in the less trivial cases, but with the info you've provided, it could just as well be one of "my session is not active" problems.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
jesnow wrote:
To summarize, polkit is the new shiny toy...

What year is wherever you are ?

Hi VoidMage, funny you should appear (see the second half of that sentence).

Quote:

While polkit/consolekit do get annoying on occasions, in most cases they work just fine.
Tracing the problem back to its source is a bit tedious, cause it will likely involve something like dbus-monitor in the less trivial cases, but with the info you've provided, it could just as well be one of "my session is not active" problems.

Exactly how is the above statement helpful in any way? Some suggestions about how to track the problem down would be welcome.

Here is a further clue:

Code:

jesnow@armstrong ~ $ ck-list-sessions             
Session1:
        unix-user = '1000'
        realname = '(null)'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = FALSE
        x11-display = ''
        x11-display-device = ''
        display-device = '/dev/tty1'
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2012-11-21T15:38:17.136509Z'
        login-session-id = '1'
        idle-since-hint = '2012-11-24T01:06:07.588776Z'

It looks like my currently running KDE doesn't have a consolekit session associated with it. Thing is, there's almost no explanation anywhere what that is, and how to open one. That's what I mean about it being shiny and new. You're about as helpful a consolekit itself.

Jon.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to make a long story short, in these days of consolekit, *if* you start kde with startx, your .xinitrc must read

Code:

exec ck-launch-session startkde

In which case your kde session will be coupled with a consolkit session, and it will be possible, with a root password,
to change entries in the System Settings->Action Policies module. THEN you can allow "any" to mount a drive (helpfully the last of about 30 actions in that list) and use your usb stick once again.

Cheers,

Jon.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two important things:
- thread added: Mon Nov 26, 2012 01:55 CET; initially `solved`: Mon Nov 26, 2012 02:16 CET - the question: what's the rush ?
- 'exec ck-launch-session startkde' is still wrong (or - more exactly - not quite right) - what did you put in your .xinitrc , cause it seems it's broken ?
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Two important things:
- thread added: Mon Nov 26, 2012 01:55 CET; initially `solved`: Mon Nov 26, 2012 02:16 CET - the question: what's the rush ?

This bit me at a moment when I was headed out the door for work and my usb stick wouldn't mount.

Quote:

- 'exec ck-launch-session startkde' is still wrong (or - more exactly - not quite right) - what did you put in your .xinitrc , cause it seems it's broken ?

I dunno what's broken, seems to work now. I can edit the policy to give myself permission to mount stuff.
I'm open to understanding what's still not right.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
VoidMage wrote:

I dunno what's broken, seems to work now. I can edit the policy to give myself permission to mount stuff.
I'm open to understanding what's still not right.

All I can say to that is: "what did you put in your .xinitrc ...?" != "what's your opinion about your .xinitrc ?"
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

jesnow@armstrong ~ $ cat .xinitrc
exec ck-launch-session startkde
jesnow@armstrong ~ $
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it seems KDE makes it a bit more hard than it should be.
That line in .xinitrc is correct after all, but given the content of startkde, it doesn't look like any other intervention should have been required after that.

Of course, after all those edits, it's quite unlikely to find out why/if those edits were required after adding the line.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful guide to all ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, and udev issues here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-350.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: