SOLVED Times New Roman font?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kas_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: SOLVED Times New Roman font? Reply with quote

So, I need to write a report in Times New Roman but Libre office doesn't come with times new roman. I know that ubuntu has some packages that can be installed so that libre office has times new roman capabilities. Is their someway, that gentoo can get times new roman? I'm not too sure what to do. I've seen packages for debian and suse but not too sure which one to use for gentoo.

Last edited by Kas_ on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you absolutely NEED to produce something using THE Times New Roman font, I presume that it must be THE Times New Roman font and not something LOOKING LIKE the Times New Roman.

If this is actually the case then : Bad Luck ! Times New Roman is Copyrighted Trade Marked All Rights Reserved DRMed and all that sort of things.
The only legal way to get it is : To buy it !
And I am dead sure that the debian / suse packages you are writing about do not actually distribute THE Times New Roman.

There is a less legal (completely illegal) way to get it installed on your Linux system but I think that the forum rules forbid to tell about it.
(But you just probably need to think by yourself to guess it)
Tip : Font files in ttf are font files in ttf whatever the system they are on... and to be used in a linux system, font files can be put in some /usr/share/fonts subdirectory.

Additional tips can be found there : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-863431-highlight-font.html

This being said, if you only need something which LOOKS LIKE Times New Roman then the Liberation Serif is the font you want.

There is a Gentoo package that will install this family of fonts : media-fonts/liberation-fonts
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corefonts should include Times New Roman.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
If this is actually the case then : Bad Luck ! Times New Roman is Copyrighted Trade Marked All Rights Reserved DRMed and all that sort of things.

Nope, Times New Roman is freely redistributable. Some other Microsoft fonts too. A lot of distros have a package to install them, including Gentoo, the corefonts package PaulBredbury linked to. So getting Times New Roman is just an "emerge corefonts" away.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
aCOSwt wrote:

Nope, Times New Roman is freely redistributable. Some other Microsoft fonts too. A lot of distros have a package to install them, including Gentoo, the corefonts package PaulBredbury linked to. So getting Times New Roman is just an "emerge corefonts" away.

Then we do not speak of the same thing.
- I am speaking of this : http://www.fonts.com/font/monotype-imaging/times-new-roman/regular from the Monotype Imaging.
- You are speaking of Microsoft's Times New Roman v2.82

@OP : If those who especially asked you to write your document in Times New Roman have strong technical / contractual reasons / policies for requiring this then chances are poor that they will be satisfied with anything else than current Monotype Imaging's Times New Roman.

If they just asked this for fancy reasons / romance or whatever... post-modern-aesthetic... then... ignore my contribution, follow PaulBredbury and Gusar, if anyone complains... apologize for not cleaning your printer heads very often... :wink:
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
from the Monotype Imaging.

That's "Times New Roman MT" :wink:
Kas_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PaulBredbury
Thanks, it works.

Another quick Libreoffice writer related question. How do I get it to double space? I need to write my essay double space. I tried to follow a tutorial on youtube but the tutorial sait that there is some arrow key on the far right and I don't have that arrow key.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to Format -> Paragraph

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Kas_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:

@OP : If those who especially asked you to write your document in Times New Roman have strong technical / contractual reasons / policies for requiring this then chances are poor that they will be satisfied with anything else than current Monotype Imaging's Times New Roman.

If they just asked this for fancy reasons / romance or whatever... post-modern-aesthetic... then... ignore my contribution, follow PaulBredbury and Gusar, if anyone complains... apologize for not cleaning your printer heads very often... :wink:

Your are two fancy in your considerations. Many schools ask to submit essays/homework in Times New Roman. Like in " the essay should be 3000 words, double space, Times New Roman'
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Your are two fancy in your considerations. Many schools ask to submit essays/homework in Times New Roman. Like in " the essay should be 3000 words, double space, Times New Roman'

8O I am fancy with my considerations ?
Zomg ! Please JRG, close this thread before I turn it into a rant infringing all of the known explicit and implicit, past, present and future forum rules !
In the mean time, I'll just ask dmpogo to tolerate my belief that the schools he is writing about are bl^H^H fu^H^H st^H^H well... rmmm... fancy with their demands !
OK... I'm joking !

No longer !

BTW, if the OP is trying to fulfill that sort of demand then...

Oh wait... is it really a good reason for installing a badly *broken* family of fonts ?
Really, I maintain my second advice about media-fonts/liberation-fonts that should perfectly fit for the purpose you mention.

BTW : media-fonts/corefonts installs a badly broken set of fonts ?
- I already gave a link which demonstrates this from the standard user standpoint.
- You are still not convinced ? Fire fontforge, load /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/times.ttf
- Start looking at the warning window which opens automatically : These are why this font is broken from a packager standpoint.
- Fire Element / Validate and consider the huge list of errors building. This entire list represents only a quarter of the reasons why this fontfile is broken from a forger standpoint.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:

When schools ask for Times New Roman, they mean the Microsoft font. It used to be the default in Word and it's what the professors are used to reading. They also have an idea of how much text fits on a page with it. So the instructions for a paper will be something like 10 pages (excluding front page, index and bibliography), 1.5 line spacing, Times New Roman 12. Do you really think schools are demanding that you go buy fonts? They just want you to use the classic Word default (with adjusted line spacing). And I don't think a professor would like it if you submit a paper in a font different from all the other papers. I wouldn't.
jathlon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good excuse for not doing your homework. Hey teach. I couldn't do my homework cuz I couldn't afford the font you asked for. Then show him the link to the page for the _real_ Times New Roman. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: