View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SProkofiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Computer cases Reply with quote

I'm planning to build a new computer. I've considered the Cosmos 1000, but the newer model is still more expensive than the first.

This machine is for my home and I plan graphics and video editing so I would like to put it in a better more modern case than my previous machines.
My last build is frozen as is.

I'm not a gamer. I have to watch my money as I no longer make the money I did as a cad designer. I'd liek to build a machine that might enabale
to work independently.

I'm in the planning stages so suggestions or remarks would be appreciated.

Also, I'm looking at motherboards and CPUs. I will go Gigabyte, but I would consider Intel over AMD which I've used a long time due to price.

Thanks
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LianLi. They also sell sub-€100,- cases.
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my new http://www.coolermaster.de/product.php?product_id=6814 Clean look, pile of features and the best of all ... no blinky neon stuff the most new cases come with.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own with some MDF. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure the mobo and PCI cards are held securely in place. You don't want any movement which could pop a card out of its slot.

For me, this was a way to make a very quiet desktop for audio work. Hard drives, and some fans, are suspended in mid air so they can't transmit vibrations to the box. Encase everything in Owens Corning / Knauf (but be careful to leave some vent holes...) and it's almost silent.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a ceramic case?
Or lego.
Even a dunny case.*

*Dunny = toilet.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
For me, this was a way to make a very quiet desktop for audio work. Hard drives, and some fans, are suspended in mid air so they can't transmit vibrations to the box. Encase everything in Owens Corning / Knauf (but be careful to leave some vent holes...) and it's almost silent.

Why not simply use silent fans in the first place? Using anything else than plain aluminium cases just prevents heat dissipation which in turn means more work and noise for your cooling system. For HDDs, I only use SSDs or 2,5" HDDs these days. Data storage is best kept in a room where noise doesn't matter.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans can very easily set off a sympathetic vibration when they're mounted on the case. They're also more prone to creating turbulent (and noisy) air flows if they're blowing directly into a perforated grid. You might be OK though.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why there are rubber mounts ;)
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work for me - YMMV.

I think I just like to DIY when I can. If you buy a thing, all you end up with is the thing you just bought but, if you make it yourself, you learn some new skills.

Or create a pile of useless, badly-fitting pieces of wood.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
mcgruff wrote:

Why not simply use silent fans in the first place? Using anything else than plain aluminium cases just prevents heat dissipation which in turn means more work and noise for your cooling system. For HDDs, I only use SSDs or 2,5" HDDs these days. Data storage is best kept in a room where noise doesn't matter.

best case: thick steel. Aluminium is noisy.

Also: huge fans, slow spinning

Also: Positive air pressure

And: ssds for apps and configs, slow 5400rpm drives for data. Cool&quiet.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Aluminium is noisy.

Do explain.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Also: huge fans, slow spinning

++
energyman76b wrote:

Matters more for dust prevention, less if you've only got two huge fans doing the job at around 600-800rpm.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Matters more for dust prevention, less if you've only got two huge fans doing the job at around 600-800rpm.
Which is positive is it in only? Does placement of the 2 huge fans @600-800 rpm make much difference?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
genstorm wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Which is positive is it in only? Does placement of the 2 huge fans @600-800 rpm make much difference?

There should be "flow", over heatsinks and hard drives. Good tip is having a filter on intake and outtake (in case you don't have pressure) and otherwise sealed case. Also cables and stuff, should be bundled and out of the way, but I guess you know that.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
best case: thick steel. Aluminium is noisy.

Even better: my Antec P182. A sandwich of steel (inner layer), plastic, and aluminium (outer layer). Thick, lighter than all-steel, looks better thanks to the outer aluminium and I simply can't hear my computer when it's on.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Aluminium is noisy.

Do explain.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page2.html

there you go. Aluminium has no positive effect and many drawbacks. Only stupid people by aluminium cases.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather not return to the 100 lb+ cases of the early 90s.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

there you go. Aluminium has no positive effect and many drawbacks. Only stupid people by aluminium cases.

Ah, the experts. Any cheap case will pick up vibrations, regardless of steel or aluminium. Actually, I have seen much more roaring cheap steel/plastic cases. Each of my aluminium Lian Li systems was/is completely silent without the help of noise insulation, just rubber mounted (and both big, often expensive) fans and coolers, plus a selection of efficient chips and vibration-free SSDs/HDDs. Actually, I could use any cheap aluminium case that way, even if that was more prone to vibrations - that simply doesn't matter when there are no vibrations generated in the first place. Too bad most other cases look stupid.

Now, for silent systems, powerful GPU requirements are a real nightmare. It can still be done by choosing an upper middle class card that comes with a passive cooler, or replace an existing air blower (reference design PCBs required) with a passive one.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time I used Zalman Reserator v1, was a bit pricy, but easy to setup and worked like a charm.

Nothing like it imo for silent PC.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well those things were really necessary before PSU vendors and the likes finally got the idea there was a market for silent systems. These days I'd only consider water cooling either as a gadget -because I can- or a fine solution for high-budget high-GPU-performance systems.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Ah, the experts. Any cheap case will pick up vibrations, regardless of steel or aluminium. Actually, I have seen much more roaring cheap steel/plastic cases. Each of my aluminium Lian Li systems was/is completely silent without the help of noise insulation, just rubber mounted (and both big, often expensive) fans and coolers, plus a selection of efficient chips and vibration-free SSDs/HDDs. Actually, I could use any cheap aluminium case that way, even if that was more prone to vibrations - that simply doesn't matter when there are no vibrations generated in the first place. Too bad most other cases look stupid.

Now, for silent systems, powerful GPU requirements are a real nightmare. It can still be done by choosing an upper middle class card that comes with a passive cooler, or replace an existing air blower (reference design PCBs required) with a passive one.

and with a massive steel case you wouldn't even need rubber....

genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fans that I usually buy come with rubber as default, so I don't really care - it's _the_ superior mounting method. :) So... no need for super-heavy steel cases.

Anyway, the biggest source of vibrations that remained after fans had improved and case mounts grown to sizes of as large as 140mm were 3,5" HDDs. Lian Li (and probably some others too) cases solve that with non-conventional rubber mounts too. No metal-on-metal contact with the case. Best solution for conventional cases is to avoid ancient 3,5" disks and use a combination of SSD and 7.200rpm 2,5" HDD.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear Acrylic; 9 Bays: $80.

@mcgruff: may I see a photograph of your wood case? I've been thinking about doing this.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Clear Acrylic; 9 Bays: $80.

Happy EMF :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
There should be "flow", over heatsinks and hard drives. Good tip is having a filter on intake and outtake (in case you don't have pressure) and otherwise sealed case. Also cables and stuff, should be bundled and out of the way, but I guess you know that.
I've not yet come across a reasonable server case with a filter (I have eyed some desktop cases if I were to go that route again, but I'm currently looking for server cases to reduce clutter).

How does the above relate to positive air pressure or large slow moving fans? I understand as general good practice (although I've yet to find a good way to get cables "out of the way").

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: