Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
By dismissing the likely catastrophic impacts of climate change as too "black and white" for your taste, I wonder if you realise how smug and narcissistic you sound? We can't "adapt" to 4+ degrees. We get the shit kicked out of us. Money won't help.

IPCC says the cost of 4 degrees warming is about 3% world GDP in 2100. That's not great and would no doubt necessitate some relief efforts for the hardest hit. But it's not "an almost unimaginable catastrophe." You're hyperventilating. Calm down.

Quote:
Now we have to make immediate cuts of over 5% per year if we are serious about avoiding the really scary stuff.

Source?
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
IPCC says the cost of 4 degrees warming is about 3% world GDP in 2100. That's not great and would no doubt necessitate some relief efforts for the hardest hit. But it's not "an almost unimaginable catastrophe." You're hyperventilating. Calm down.

Which part of the 2007 report did you get the 3% figure from?

The same report also talks about a mass extinction.

Quote:
Quote:
Now we have to make immediate cuts of over 5% per year if we are serious about avoiding the really scary stuff.

Source?

PricewaterhouseCoopers: Too late for 2 degrees?. There's a pdf you can download if you google it.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@big dave

Are you taking the bet? "Al Gore's Montecito house would not be affected by a 100ft sea rise."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big deal? If it were, he'd just fly his private jet to one of his other ones, hire Mexicans to move his shit, sell the house to a Jew, and the relieve the stress by getting a massagee. The worst thing that could happen would be a reduction of his Brobdingnagian carbon footprint.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is this: does Gore's beach house in Montecito make him a hypocrite who doesn't believe what he preaches?
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
The deal is this: does Gore's beach house in Montecito make him a hypocrite who doesn't believe what he preaches?

yes. he's a slimy piece of shit: http://subspecie.edman.ws/2010/05/al-gores-revealed-beliefs.html

the only way you can get by is using his intellectually bankrupt method of claiming sea levels will rise, but not actually affect the coast-line because climate scientists are admitting the ocean basins are getting deeper as the continents shift allowing them to hold more water. this means that sea levels will technically increase as measured from the deepest depths, that's only as measured from the bottom of the sea to the top, without respect for the coastline. of course, this directly contradicts his doomsday scenario where california and florida are underwater.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
ratmonkey wrote:
juniper wrote:
Sorry, I don't belong to that religion.

++

Ouch. You gave your seal of approval to nonsense. How embarrassing.

I agreed with his list of concerns. I disagree with the conclusion that turning to the market will cure all. Quite simple.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
mcgruff wrote:

yes. he's a slimy piece of shit: http://subspecie.edman.ws/2010/05/al-gores-revealed-beliefs.html

the only way you can get by is using his intellectually bankrupt method of claiming sea levels will rise, but not actually affect the coast-line because climate scientists are admitting the ocean basins are getting deeper as the continents shift allowing them to hold more water. this means that sea levels will technically increase as measured from the deepest depths, that's only as measured from the bottom of the sea to the top, without respect for the coastline. of course, this directly contradicts his doomsday scenario where california and florida are underwater.

I don't know where you picked that up from. Climate scientists are predicting that the sea levels will rise (and have risen). Gore claims that sea levels will rise (the 20ft he mentioned in the vid is about right for the amount of water locked up in Greenland ice, or the West Antarctic ice sheet). He does not claim that sea beds will deepen to compensate.

Do you accept the bet? "Gore's Montecito house would not be affected by a 100ft sea level rise." It's a simple wager. There are no tricks.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said it's a "beach house"? It's not a "beach house". It's a villa with a view of the ocean.

How about this bet: I'll bet most people in here think you're a Global Warming ass-hat. How about that?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
How many houses, cars, boats, and planes does Al Gore own now? He must have the carbon footprint of tank battalion.
It's OK. He promotes a scam which says it is OK for some to do it, but not others.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said it's a beach house?

Big Dave wrote:
mcfluff, if gore really believed in climate change, why did he buy a multimillion dollar mansion that will be one of the first to fall into the ocean if he's actually right about global warming?

Big Dave wrote:
are you betting that gore doesn't believe in doomsday flooding or are you saying he didn't buy a beach mansion? or is his 67 meters of flooding he's talking about not high enough for you.

I'm not sure if he's prepared to bet on it though.

Also, Old School accused Gore of having a huge carbon footprint but (wisely) backed off when asked if he'd bet his avatar on it. Would you or Pjp care to take a crack at it? You've both accused Gore of being a hypocrite because of his carbon footprint.

Prenj appears to have lost his bet that "my guys" (including Gore) don't have any answers but don't let that put you off. I'm sure you both know what you're talking about and can beat me easily.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did, needle dick: :?
mcgruff wrote:

Now change your avatar.

If you can prove (in a way that convinces 75% of people in here) that Gore has a zero or negative carbon footprint, then I'll change my avatar to something humiliating (like a nice picture of Al Gore). If you can't, then you change yours to a nice picture of Rush Limbaugh. That's a fair bet. Will you take it?

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Prenj appears to have lost his bet that "my guys" (including Gore) don't have any answers but don't let that put you off. I'm sure you both know what you're talking about and can beat me easily.

Only in your head.

mcgruff wrote:
How many people saying "we need to start reducing carbon emissions now" do you want?

Some dude saying "we need to cut carbon emissions now" is about as helpful as a person falling from an airplane without parachute saying "we need to stop falling now". Ye you really need to. And Al Gore is taxing people for falling down. Not offering a parachute, let alone wings.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff is the intellectual analog of the fat kid on roller-skates who keeps skating into the walls, laughing his ass off the whole time.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some dude saying "we need to cut carbon emissions now" is about as helpful as a person falling from an airplane without parachute saying "we need to stop falling now".

You made a bet that my guys "don't have any answers". What kind of "answers" were you thinking of?

Last edited by McGruff on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
You made a bet that my guys "don't have any answers". What kind of "answers" were you thinking of?

Alternative to carbon-based fuels.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Also, Old School accused Gore of having a huge carbon footprint but (wisely) backed off

Nobody backed off. Gore does have a huge carbon footprint, you on the other hand are too partisan blind (or weak minded like algore) to man up and admit it.

So until you move out of your little fantasy world of make believe, there is no use trying to have an adult conversation with you.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Gore does have a huge carbon footprint

Are you willing to bet your avatar on that?
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:

OK: so I would win the bet if I could show that one of "my guys" has proposed a workable policy to reduce carbon emissions by using more non-carbon energy sources?
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Old School wrote:
Gore does have a huge carbon footprint

Are you willing to bet your avatar on that?

Is that the best with which you can come up.

Let's see.....

Multiple mansions for multiple mistresses
Private jets

Yep, he has a huge carbon footprint.

Last edited by Old School on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Prenj wrote:

OK: so I would win the bet if I could show that one of "my guys" has proposed a workable policy to reduce carbon emissions by using more non-carbon energy sources?

I'd call it a bullshit, we don't have tech yet. Let alone infrastructure. Let alone sense enough not to weigh everything according to the economic paradigm.

I'll change my avatar when I'm driving hydrogen-powered car made out of ceramic materials out of Sahara sands. Until then...

Last edited by Prenj on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
If you can prove (in a way that convinces 75% of people in here) that Gore has a zero or negative carbon footprint, then I'll change my avatar to something humiliating (like a nice picture of Al Gore). If you can't, then you change yours to a nice picture of Rush Limbaugh. That's a fair bet. Will you take it?

Predictably, it is not a fair bet. A fair proposition on which to bet would be: "Al Gore has a massive carbon footprint". Will you take it? Winner chooses loser's avatar for three weeks.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Predictably, it is not a fair bet. A fair proposition on which to bet would be: "Al Gore has a massive carbon footprint". Will you take it? Winner chooses loser's avatar for three weeks.

You're just not man enough to admit you've been decieved by Al Gore's profiteering off the sound concerns about environment and the state of human society.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
I'd call it a bullshit, we don't have tech yet. Let alone infrastructure. Let alone sense enough not to weigh everything according to the economic paradigm.

I'll change my avatar when I'm driving hydrogen-powered car made out of ceramic materials out of Sahara sands. Until then...

So, you accept that policies do exist, but they haven't been implemented yet? An answer is still an answer even if it hasn't been implemented.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your new avatar mcgruff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: