HP forcing consumers to use Windows 8
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: HP forcing consumers to use Windows 8 Reply with quote

Quote:
In a message on its support website, HP said that consumer-grade desktop and notebook systems shipped after Oct. 26 -- the date Windows 8 launched -- will not support the older Windows 7.
Quote:
"Windows 7 will not be supported on these new platforms, and no drivers, apps, or Windows 7 content will be available through HP," the company said. "If users choose to downgrade their HP consumer desktop or notebook system, HP will continue to support the hardware but if there is an issue where HP diagnostics are required or it is determined that the loaded software or upgrade operating system is causing the issue, HP may suggest returning the system to the original Windows 8 OS."

Downgrade rights -- which let customers replace a newer version of Windows with an older edition without paying for two copies -- are de rigueur with business-class editions of Windows, and are meant to let companies keep new machines on their preferred OS.

Only Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights; the consumer-standard Windows 8 does not. Windows 8 Pro users can downshift to Windows 7 Professional or Vista Business.

Downgrade rights are available only from OEM copies of Windows, those that are pre-installed by computer manufacturers like HP. As with earlier downgrade rights, the customer is responsible for obtaining the installation media for, say, Windows 7 if he or she wants to
downgrade from Windows 8.
HP noted that it will support downgrades on its business-class PCs, implying that it will provide drivers for those machines.

http://www.cio.com/article/721061/HP_Urges_Consumer_Customers_Not_to_Downgrade_New_PCs_to_Windows_7
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much of that is HP and how much is MS. Probably both. MS pushing for adoption, HP pushing for reduced support costs.

Fortunately I'm not in the market for an HP or Windows 8. Though I have considered shelling out some money for a real server, and have considered HP.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM. We had one in Iraq and the thing would eat sand and still function.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm always skeptical of these claims because the CPU, mobo, RAM, HDD are all same on across vendors.

If you had a <insert brand> box and it worked, then <insert other brand> box would've also worked in similar circumstances, if you had <insert other brand> box with you.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm always skeptical of these claims because the CPU, mobo, RAM, HDD are all same on across vendors.

If you had a <insert brand> box and it worked, then <insert other brand> box would've also worked in similar circumstances, if you had <insert other brand> box with you.

There are a few different vendors of HDDs. Power supplies are also going to be unique between each one. And it's not a claim, it's my experience. We had severe dust problems in our comm closet in Iraq. The Dells had issues of one sort or another. IBMs were smooth and flawless.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear HP, please eat shit and die. Also, you're a bunch of morons, and I look forward to you going out of business.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Dear HP, please eat shit and die. Also, you're a bunch of morons, and I look forward to you going out of business.

I think they are, as a business, functioning much better lately but I could be wrong.

also I don't see what the big deal is... this doesn't strike me as new, a major OS version was released and they don't want to support old software. downgrade rights have at least been a thing since XP.

I get pissed having to support IE 9 so dealing as a whole MS OS one-back version support level must be maddening.

is your aggressive stance b/c you are a Consumer Freedom Fighter or something? seems way misguided.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
CPU, mobo, RAM, HDD are all same on across vendors.

Not really in my experience. I've dismantled some IBM servers, HP and other brands. However, that's probably still not the issue. Why should sand affect how a system works? It's not conductive to electricity. What it does do, however, is clot fans. The design of the IBM servers I've worked with made it very easy to replace one while keeping the server running. Actually, you can replace nearly everything while the server keeps running.
Of course other servers are similar, but the ease of doing it on an IBM machine is as second to none I've seen so far.

Oh. on topic:
Seems like a stupid decision. Anyway, I don't really care since I'm not getting a new laptop soon and for my desktops (which I'm also not buying in a hurry) I prefer my self built ones. Moreover I'd ditch Win and install Linux, so really doesn't bother me much.
Now it's time for the harvest
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
aidanjt wrote:

I think they are, as a business, functioning much better lately but I could be wrong.

also I don't see what the big deal is... this doesn't strike me as new, a major OS version was released and they don't want to support old software. downgrade rights have at least been a thing since XP.

I get pissed having to support IE 9 so dealing as a whole MS OS one-back version support level must be maddening.

is your aggressive stance b/c you are a Consumer Freedom Fighter or something? seems way misguided.

If you consider 6.2 a major version :wink:
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't support Linux installed on their machines either (nor do any other hardware manufacturer for the most part) so what's the difference?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that the average consumer doesn't put Linux on their personal computer and thinks the CD drive tray is a cup holder.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
We had severe dust problems in our comm closet in Iraq. The Dells had issues of one sort or another. IBMs were smooth and flawless.
Which model(s) of IBM? I'm not looking to spend gov't / large enterprise dollars.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good move! Microsoft certainly needs the help - keeping a monopoly running isn't cheap. All those politicians and standard bodies expect their bribes be payed without delay. HP on the other hand is always eager for some bad publicity. So it really is a win-win scenario.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator wrote:
"Hasta la vista, hp!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Terminator wrote:
"Hasta la vista, hp!

Is that what he was saying? And to think that all this time I thought he was saying, "Pass the pizza, baby."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
Terminator wrote:
"Hasta la vista, hp!

Is that what he was saying? And to think that all this time I thought he was saying, "Pass the pizza, baby."
I thought it was Davey.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've never seen or even heard of that show before.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was strangely compelling. I think mainly because of the stop motion. At the time, I'd never seen anything else like it. I don't recall feeling preached at, and I've always been skeptical of religion (even in 1st grade).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found that stop-motion animagic mildly disturbing. That might because I was allowed to watch similarly-animated Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer when I was about 1 or two years old, and be scared shitless by the Abominable Smowman, who was roaring, accompanied by dramatically frightening music and was coming to eat Rudolph and his little elf friend with his sharp teeth and claws. :lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. Back when cartoons didn't suck. I'd forgotten that was stop animation. Although, I didn't care for the stop animation King Kong. Probably because it was black & white, and with poor acting.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: