View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Opera crashing all the time Reply with quote

I didn't change a thing in my Opera configuration for a long time, yet a few days ago it started chrashing all over the place. Around this time, I didn't run any updates so that shouldn't be it. Since the beginning of this trouble I updated everything to the latest state in ~amd64, no change for the better.

The crashes seem to appear at random and seem to be triggered - or not - by just about everything, so I couldn't find a pattern. When it crashes, there's no usable output on the console, it only pops up the report-crash dialog, but that isn't of any help.

I thought I made find pages with exploits, but it even crashes on my own, pure-HTML sites. Disabling JS and Flash doesn't help, Java isn't available. Turning off the proxy (privoxy) also didn't make any changes.

Sometimes, for some pages, the loading bar shows elements x/y loaded, showing a blank page and nothing happens for ~10 seconds until it continues.

There are a few Gb left where .opera is and there's plenty of free RAM. Other installed browsers (dwb, chromium, firefox-bin) don't show any problem.

So, anybody experiencing the same or knows a good way to debug this? I could start with a clean profile, but since I haven't found a way to trigger the crash, that doesn't seem to be the best route to go.
wcg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strace wrapper? (That could log system calls up to the point
where it crashes; maybe it is looking for something local
in ~ or in some system directory and not finding it.)

edit:
You could try having valgrind run it, too.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Opera stopped working altogether on my laptop after recent upgrades.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strace would be an option, though that would have to wait for the weekend since that will probably give a lot of data to filter and I don't have much time at hand.

What I noticed is then it seems to be bound to user interaction, if I just let it sit there doing nothing but showing the current page, it runs for hours without problems. But if I open a tab(front or background doesn't matter) and sometimes even hovering a link, picture or other element, it crashes. Also, sometimes my favicons in the bookmark bar get replaced by the star icon also visible in the adressbar.

I'll try tomorrow with a clean profile and copying stuff over from the old one, maybe there are some corrupted files.

@Jaglover, meaning? Doesn't even start?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, won't start, 32bit install. It's kind of dead end unless you want to file a bug with Opera. Methinks there is something in current Gentoo that's not backwards compatible and I'm pretty sure they build their binaries against an ancient system. BTW, I'm using gcc-4.7 in all of my boxes.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm the OP's issue but I believe it's only since the update to 12.10 beta RC
Build 1615... What seems to trigger the crashes considerably more often here is the mouse gesture "close tab"...
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgraded to 12.02.1578 (latest stable version in portage) and so far it hasn't crashed again. Still, I don't remember updating it before the crashes started to happen, but who cares.

Not marking solved for now, will do some more experiments.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a new beta released today 12.10 beta Build 1647.
Changelog mentions they seem to have fixed some "crashers", so I just give it a try.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/11/01/opera-12-10-rc1

Cant get much worse than it is already :)
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that Opera sometimes crashes on my system, but not as often as avx's install.
That is 12.02, though.
Now it's time for the harvest
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also experiencing this.....with newer nvidia drivers!
If I use any nvidia-drivers above 304.37-r1, then there are random segfaults with opera.
I am also experiencing segfaults when I am being offered cookies.
It seems the "action" of the pop-down window causes this.
However, it will only happen if I am offered 2 cookies in quick succession.
Most peculiar, and particularly frustrating.

In fact, I am beginning to use Windoze 7 more and more these days, because Gentoo is becoming less reliable.
Epiphany, Opera, and Gnome are letting me down increasingly more often than not.
A Gtk problem perhaps?
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it might be an issue with nvidia-drivers sounds legit. I am using unstable nvidia-drivers too.
And unstable Opera, so I won't complain too much if something does not work 100% ;)
Btw, there was another update today: Version 12.10 Build 1649.
Personally, I haven't had any crashes for 1,5 or even 2 days now. Seems to me as things are going back to normal.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on nvidia, too. But since updating to the 2nd to last Opera, I too didn't have any crashes - except for the relatively constant crashing of Flash of course.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to 12.10.1652, took less than 5mins and it crashed again.

Note to self, really really work on my privoxy and switch to dwb.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I use the latest version in portage now and don't seem to have any problems.
You should move your .opera directory and see if the crashes still occur. If not, rework your configuration.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupp, really. Not as often as before, but 3-4 times today already.

Starting up fresh isn't easy, I've got quite a few things changed, scripts hooked up, custom CSSses, etc and not everything is easily readable in plain text in .opera :(

I'll count the crashes for the next few days, maybe I'm just having bad luck.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. Reconfiguring Opera is the second most crappy thing to do, 1st for me would be KDE ;)
Unfortunately from time to time this has become necessary for me.
But I meant to move the ~/.opera directory temporarily to rule out some weird system problem causing this.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you meant temporarily, but how would that help?

If it would stop crashing, I'd have to move over part by part until it crashes again, which is hard since I've got no way to trigger it. If it continues to crash, I've lost all my settings and have to "work" with bare metal, thus ugly :(
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second case you could at least rule out some "misconfiguration". I have had issues with Opera, where very old configuration files, taken over and over for ages, triggered Opera to behave ugly.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two versions of opera are too buggy.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
In the second case you could at least rule out some "misconfiguration". I have had issues with Opera, where very old configuration files, taken over and over for ages, triggered Opera to behave ugly.
Well, if that would be the case, why wouldn't they say so? They've often said be sure to backup your mail, it gets converted to a new format and can't be changed back, etc. so why shouldn't they do it here?

But as I said above, I'm preperaing to move away from that stuff anyway. I just wrote myself a new download handler, then converters for adblock/ghostery to privoxy will come and I've already got a dmenu bookmark system in place. That's all plain text and pretty easily hooked up to browsers like dwb, luakit or uzbl, so that should make it better in the future for me - I hope.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I would have abandonend Opera looong time ago. But I love how their integrated email client works, decent, working in the background, yet always visible through the sidebar... But yeah, the once great innovator Opera has become pretty pathetic nowadays. Most disgusting how they ignore severe interface issues or lack of import/export filters for decades now.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long given up, I won't do the math for how many years GPG support has been requested for mail or support for smartcards or a lot of other things.

I tried to switch a few times now, FF is always too sluggish, Chromium is just plain ugly to look at, epiphany/konq have to heavy deps on their respective DEs and midori is far from being useable on a day-by-day scenario for me.

Thus it leaves all the small webkit-based browsers. Luakit was my favorite for a long time, but it's still an unstable target and needs to much work diffing contents by hand. Uzbl's config is too ugly and jumanji doesn't offer me enough, so I'm currently playing with dwb, though I really miss the tiling features it once had.

All in all, there's nothing really good for me, currently, but to do it myself completly, I lack the time to keep up with webkit and certainly some expertise.

So I think doing things "the unix way" and writing/using small tools for certain tasks and putting them together is the best approach.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped counting at 20+ crashes in <=10 hours, each time not being able to resume where I was since the session hasn't been saved.

Now trying with a clean profile, boy that's ugly to use.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was funny (kinda).

Was writing this post, and while describing how I reproduced a crash, I just had to go and try it again, didn't I (crashed and lost post and all open tabs of topics I had yet to visit, silly me).

Oh whell... what I was saying is, that I have not had much crashing issues in general, a couple of them here and there. I don't customise the browser except for colours, nor do I use extensions (only recently started using Ghostery and CleanTube).

Some day(s) ago, 12.10.1652 apparently went stable, so I updated to it from 12.02.1578. Quite immediately, when opening youtube pages, it would crash, and I could re-produce it 3 or 4 times in a row, by opening three different videos from a 'featured' list of a channel.
While I was typing the first incarnation of this post, I went to look at the specific buttons I clicked (I was using html5 and 'feather', and I clicked on each page to disable the feathery thing just for that time), but youtube had forgotten the settings again, so it was without html5 and feather, and all default settings on play-lists not being hidden, language setting and whatnot (it does that often, actually, but keeps me signed in... anyone else experience that?).

So yeah, there seems to definitely be something with this version.

One of my only annoyance probably over time has been that Opera sometimes doesn't load images completely, like right now, only some of the smilies are visible, and others are saying their descriptions. It often gets 'fixed' when I keep rotating the Show images -> No images -> Cached images for a while (e.g., it loads them that way, eventually).
Seems to be doing it more now, after the upgrade... may bee...

I as well have not been impressed of Opera for a while now, but I would like to not switch away after all this time... Hell, some of my bookmarks have a creation time from 2005!

In short, I can confirm that I as well seem to be experiencing new crashes since upgrading from 12.02.1578 to 12.10.1652 (for now, only happened at youtube, though, and I have the option for enabling flash-content only after clicking on them, so it shouldn't be the actual videos, I guess (also another feature other browsers seem to lack, and I pretty much need it because I dislike auto-play and flash-crap that much and oh, html5, could you just get rid of flash for us already... but also come with a click-to-activate or something... pretty please...) what was I talking about?).
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@avx: you might really want to file a bug report @opera and hope they will come back to you. I already had quite friendly contact with them once or twice. You surely did all those regular system sanity checks, like revdep-rebuild and using the default qt-graphicsystem and so on, right?
@Chiitoo: I use a shitload of plugins, some need to be updated manually.
Facebook with Opera is a bad joke (well FB without is as well, but that's another story). There are so many minor glitches... I am using this browser now since 97 or 98, so changing is... well, gross.
What I dislike with almost all other browsers is that you have to install and configure a lot of extension crap, which then, like avx wrote makes them sloppy...
FYI, I didn't have any crashes since 1652 or one of the rc's anymore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: