Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who Will Win the U.S. General Election on Tuesday?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the U.S. general election on Tuesday?
Definitely Obama
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Probably Obama
46%
 46%  [ 15 ]
Unsure
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Probably Romney
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Definitely Romney
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Contested
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't make predictions about percentages. I only follow the money.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
"pardon me, sir, but I had the right of way"
"Ay! Fuck yowah mothah, yoo mothin fuckin' cock suckah!"
The phrases have the same meaning from different times.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Yeah, you had that two percent margin figured out pretty good. My hat is off to you. You're a master debater.

Another empire fades from short-lived glory. Our country will now become indistinguishable from Canada. Even New Yorkers will become polite and sheepish, calling from the windows of cars, "pardon me, sir, but I had the right of way", rather than flipping the bird and shouting "Ay! Fuck yowah mothah, yoo mothin fuckin' cock suckah!"

Who else thought of Stephen Baldwin?
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
FUCK!!! Obama's gonna win this one. There's a 94% correlation between the Redskins winning their last home game before the election and the incumbent party keeping the White House. The Redskins are gonna play the Panthers, and there's no way the Redskins are going to lose.

Obligatory XKCD: http://www.xkcd.org/1122/
Now it's time for the harvest
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to a random stabbing spree, next time someone posts xkcd.

Last edited by notageek on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama won. Dems gain 3 seats in the senate. It looks like Obama takes Florida as well.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta

Last edited by petrjanda on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 am; edited 2 times in total
charly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the end... Romney got his ass whipped.

I think we need an amendment to say Obama can stay for the next 30 years
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Europeans, does this mean he gets another Nobel Peace Prize?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charly wrote:

Getting elected by 49% over 48% does not equate to "whipping ass". An ass-whipping is what Richard Nixon gave George McGovern. This is called winning by the skin of your teeth, even if it happened in many states.

Also, people like you, with your "30 years" mentality, are exactly what the people of this country should fear the most. Congratulations; you just re-elected the most authoritarian President in the history of the United States. How that amounts to "liberal" you'll have to explain.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take a moment to laugh at those who thought McCain was the wrong choice and somehow Romney was an improvement. Ell oh ell.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
charly wrote:

Getting elected by 48% of the voters does not equate to "whipping ass". An ass-whipping is what Richard Nixon gave George McGovern.

Also, people like you, with your "30 years" mentality, are exactly what the people of this country should fear the most. Congratulations; you just re-elected the most authoritarian President in the history of the United States. How that amounts to "liberal" you'll have to explain.
Looks like Nobody won the popular vote though ;)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

In the end it doesn't matter. The only way it would have mattered is if Republicans took senate as well. What lost it for Romney is his lack of personal ideology, he's the anti Obama vote, and that's it. He is unable to motivate people, not like for example Ron Paul. Obama may be a dirty cheating authoritarian lier, but his lies are good and he still can motivate others through lies, Romney couldn't do either through either truth or lies.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I'm going to a random stabbing spree, next time someone posts xkcd.

Since you're far away, I don't really care.
Now it's time for the harvest
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Obama may be a dirty cheating authoritarian lier, but his lies are good and he still can motivate others through lies, Romney couldn't do either through either truth or lies.
The very same people who criticized Bush for comparatively minor transgressions and now look the other way for Obama. It is no longer the economy. It's the stupid.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA could have had first true liberal(liberal in true sense of the word) president in Ron Paul in many many years, who could have united left and right through the message of peace, personal responsibility and fiscal conservatism. The right would have elected a true fiscal conservative, while left could have had a true social liberal. Ron Paul is not a Wall Street puppet and that's why he didn't stand a chance to win with the party nomination. He would have been well respected among the troops(based on the amount of donations he got from active and retired military personnel), and that alone would have the general populace respect him more than the clowns such as Obama and Romney.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

In the end it doesn't matter. The only way it would have mattered is if Republicans took senate as well. What lost it for Romney is his lack of personal ideology, he's the anti Obama vote, and that's it. He is unable to motivate people, not like for example Ron Paul. Obama may be a dirty cheating authoritarian lier, but his lies are good and he still can motivate others through lies, Romney couldn't do either through either truth or lies.

You're right. Republicans needed an inspiring, reasonably moderate candidate. Instead they got a milquetoast reasonably moderate candidate, because all the other ones were either unelectable or too extremist even to survive their own primary, much less the general election. Republicans have done this repeatedly. The first time I remember noticing it was in 1996, when the best they could come up with to run against Bill Clinton was Bob Dole.

Now we have to live through four more years of lefty McJesus Obama, which I suppose is just deserts for Republicans having the Neocon Bush Administration in office for two terms. I just hope our economy might someday recover fully, preferably before I retire. I think, however, it's just going to come back to a flaccid 80% strength and stay there, forever, while we all submit to governmental authority, upon which another 10-20% will depend substantially.

Somebody else, like China, will take over playing World Police.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
USA could have had first true liberal(liberal in true sense of the word) president in Ron Paul in many many years, who could have united left and right through the message of peace, personal responsibility and fiscal conservatism. The right would have elected a true fiscal conservative, while left could have had a true social liberal. Ron Paul is not a Wall Street puppet and that's why he didn't stand a chance to win with the party nomination. He would have been well respected among the troops(based on the amount of donations he got from active and retired military personnel), and that alone would have the general populace respect him more than the clowns such as Obama and Romney.

The powers that be (particularly the left) have branded him a radical, and the mainstream media promulgates that view. Rachel Maddow on MSNBC referred to him during the primaries when he wasn't doing too badly, with words to the effect of "anti-government, racist nut-case". The Republican Party at least treated him like a serious candidate, and he got something like 10% of the vote (which tells us that 10% of registered Republican voters find his ideas not merely attractive and acceptable but preferable to those of the rest of that crowd).

Party platforms evolve. Libertarian ideals have seen the light of day and entered mainstream thought. That's progress, even if we did just re-elect the most authoritarian President in the history of the Nation. :(

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
USA could have had first true liberal(liberal in true sense of the word) president in Ron Paul in many many years, who could have united left and right through the message of peace, personal responsibility and fiscal conservatism.
lol. Give it up already, no one sane likes him. He's been an aspirant for years and still hasn't found enough people to buy his bullshit.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

The powers that be (particularly the left) have branded him a radical, and the mainstream media promulgates that view. Rachel Maddow on MSNBC referred to him during the primaries when he wasn't doing too badly, with words to the effect of "anti-government, racist nut-case".

There's no denial that the MSM(which is a Wall Street and Government propaganda outlet, nothing more) did a great harm to RP. I remember Iowa primaries where Ron Paul was leading in the polls and yet Faux News and other MSM were if not completely ignoring that fact, kept spreading lies or somewhat-truths.

I like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8fPDQmArE

Last edited by petrjanda on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
petrjanda wrote:
USA could have had first true liberal(liberal in true sense of the word) president in Ron Paul in many many years, who could have united left and right through the message of peace, personal responsibility and fiscal conservatism.
lol. Give it up already, no one sane likes him. He's been an aspirant for years and still hasn't found enough people to buy his bullshit.

He could become a President, though, when the U.S.A. goes bankrupt in a few years and groups of states start to secede. I caught a little bit of some "also-ran" for Vermont Governor on Vermont Public Television last night. He had one eye, and he wanted Vermont to secede from the Union. Some very angry woman was on after him, talking about her vagina.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
petrjanda wrote:

Hardly, when you look at national polls from way back when people were asked who would they vote for if given choice between Obama and Paul, it would have been neck-to-neck.

http://www.dailypaul.com/245437/paul-vs-obama-poll
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
He could become a President, though, when the U.S.A. goes bankrupt in a few years and groups of states start to secede.
if he runs on a platform of "states rights" and "jesus' kingdom cometh" yes. Not on one that promises effective financial governance.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

Hell, Ron Paul was not even mentioned in mainstream media nor debates while he was still running. It is pretty damn obvious how system works. The real power resides with Banksters, major Corporations, military industry and people who own mass media, which is a narrow circle. Candidates who are doing their bidding are allowed to be shown and presented as "choices" when in fact it is not a choice, but a flavor. Those who are NOT doing their bidding are not even debated, i.e. they don't exist in media, in order for public not to even consider them. If Hitler and Stalin were alive and doing what corporate entities tell them to do, they too would be portrayed as "choices". Pretty fucking sad, tho not saying that from a high horse, since I don't see it happening differently anywhere else.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out a major stakeholder and power player: the public sector. Even here, they control about a third of the GDP. This is not just unions, but all sorts of well-funded government agencies, government-subsidized non-governmental organizations (for example, universities and their phalanxes of influential academicians), research organizations, and hordes of "think tanks" and "social organizations" which they fund and control.

The public sector is Ron Paul's worst enemy, because he wants to stop the theft that feeds them.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty good summary of the election.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/politics/july-dec12/roundup_11-07.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: