View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Nexus 4 review: Amazing phone with a deal-breaker flaw Reply with quote

Nexus 4 review: Amazing phone with a deal-breaker flaw

Anyone with an S III to confirm those complaints? The review of the Nexus 4 makes it very tempting. I wish there were a way to hook up a micrSD to the damned thing wirelessly.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another review: http://youtu.be/herJmqIGOoM

The deal-breaking flaw for me would be the glass body, which cracks easily. Otherwise I would've considered this phone.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nexus 4 review: Amazing phone with a deal-breaker flaw Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Anyone with an S III to confirm those complaints? The review of the Nexus 4 makes it very tempting.

That's ambiguous. Does IT refer to the SIII or the Nexus 4?
What I don't understand is, why they have decided against an SD slot. I know the explanation but it seems irrational.
Now it's time for the harvest
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tmobile so... baller status! in fact this will use their faster HSPA+ network.

the dealbreaker is the lack of LTE? boohoo.

as for a microsd slot, i *don't* want one. so not having one is neutral or a plus for me. its one less slot to get all dusty and junked up and never used.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer solid build quality over these perceived weaknesses.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I'd prefer solid build quality over these perceived weaknesses.

the reviews I've read have actually pointed how how well this nexus 4 phone is built.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nexus 4 review: Amazing phone with a deal-breaker flaw Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
That's ambiguous. Does IT refer to the SIII or the Nexus 4?
Well, he compares his experience with the SIII for why he likes the 4.

Clad in Sky wrote:
What I don't understand is, why they have decided against an SD slot. I know the explanation but it seems irrational.
They want to tie you to their vertical platform. I dislike it, but from their point of view, it isn't irrational. Not enough people care. One of the reasons I'm considering it even though it lacks an SD slot is that it is relatively inexpensive and comes unlocked. I may consider that an acceptable if unfortunate tradeoff. I'd still like a faster way to transfer stuff to the device. Maybe WiFi is fast enough.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance apparently not so great. Only skimmed it,so I'm not certain how much it matters from a "feel" POV.

Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 Performance Preview

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is MTP really that bad for transferring files? There's a FUSE thingie for it so you could theoretically just use the thing like a regular filesystem. I rarely use my phone as an mp3 player, and while 16GB won't hold all my music, it will hold enough.

T-Mobile, so LTE doesn't apply. HSPA+ is, for cell phone purposes, every bit as fast as LTE anyway. The bottleneck is always going to be the carrier's shitty network to the cell tower, not the cell tower to the phone. And it's not like I'm torrenting over my phone.

Personally, I'm stoked about the Nexus 4.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
Is MTP really that bad for transferring files?

Not as a standard. Just libmtp is riddled with bugs. I can barely get a listing of my phone's mtp root directory.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
Is MTP really that bad for transferring files? There's a FUSE thingie for it so you could theoretically just use the thing like a regular filesystem. I rarely use my phone as an mp3 player, and while 16GB won't hold all my music, it will hold enough.

MTP is ok. You cannot have a FS mounted in two places, so for a phone it's better than mass storage. I don't miss my old HTC Desire and its sdcard (any app in the phone that relied on it simply stopped working if you mounted it on the PC).

Just make sure to use go-mtpfs; it's the only one I've tried that works well and fast with both my GNex and N7 (mptfs was crap: VERY unreliable and VERY slow).

pigeon768 wrote:
T-Mobile, so LTE doesn't apply. HSPA+ is, for cell phone purposes, every bit as fast as LTE anyway. The bottleneck is always going to be the carrier's shitty network to the cell tower, not the cell tower to the phone. And it's not like I'm torrenting over my phone.

Yep, I've never understood the need for 100Mbits/s on a freaking phone, unless you use it as wifi hotspot.

pigeon768 wrote:
Personally, I'm stoked about the Nexus 4.

++

A bit worried about the fragility of the glass back, though. I'll wait for the drop tests.

(edit)

aidanjt wrote:
Not as a standard. Just libmtp is riddled with bugs. I can barely get a listing of my phone's mtp root directory.

Try go-mtpfs. It simply works as good as in windows.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
Try go-mtpfs. It simply works as good as in windows.

Nice find. I'll give it a shot later. Thanks. :)
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is go-mtpfs in an overlay somewhere?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:

Not that I found, I just cloned and installed to /usr/local/ for now.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
Is MTP really that bad for transferring files?
Sounds like it isn't ideal, but it misses the point. I'd rather not have to figure out what to transfer on a semi-daily basis. Not to mention time for any given bandwidth. Swapping a card would be much faster (or just having a really large on plus a lot of internal storage... 64+64 for example). That said, it doesn't seem like an open phone at a reasonable price with external storage is going to be much of an option.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
pigeon768 wrote:

Not that I found, I just cloned and installed to /usr/local/ for now.

I tried to make a -9999 ebuild, but it's... weird. It's the first program I compile using go. It seems to have integrated everything in a single command:
Code:
go get github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs

This pulls the two git trees needed to compile go-mtfps, builds it and installs it. I suppose I could use the individual go whatever commands in src_compile and src_install, but how do I declare two EGIT_REPO_URIs?

I searched for an example of a go ebuild, but didn't found any with dev-lang/go in DEPEND.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as though the price & Nexus brand are the driving factors here. The battery life is horrific at <5hrs.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The battery life is horrific at <5hrs.

Huh?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589280/google-nexus-4-review
Quote:
Battery life was also top notch. I'm used to getting just about a day of use on my Galaxy Nexus (that's taking it off of the charger around 8AM or 9AM, and putting it back on around 2AM). Some days it doesn't quite make it that long, depending on my workload. The Nexus 4 fared much better. At the time of this writing, I've had it off of its charger for 10 hours and 30 minutes and it's still got 45 percent battery life. Yesterday before I plugged it in, I'd had it off the charger for 16 hours, with 18 percent of its juice left. To say it's holding up for full work days would be an understatement; even with heavy use, this battery more than pulls its weight.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/google-nexus-4-1108999/review/9#articleContent
Quote:
Normally, we're told it is to keep the size down and the aesthetics to a high standard. But the result is always the same: looks nice, but battery is rubbish. Gladly, we can say that's not the case with the Nexus 4. Of course, individual usage will vary wildly, but we found it to put in a competent enough performance.
[...]
It's most definitely an improvement on the HTC One X and even trumps the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is, itself, no slouch in that department. The thing is that it is so dependent on what Android apps you have installed and what they're doing in the background
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

pjp wrote:
Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 Performance Preview

charts wrote:
Web 3G/4G: 4.18 hrs (3rd from last)
Web WiFi: 6.27 hrs (last)

10.5hrs with 45% remaining is maybe doing nothing or very little? That much of a discrepancy seems strange.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp they are probably looking at the battery graph and missed some charging maybe 2 days on it?. id love a nexus 4 especially since i cant get LTE where i live from sprint (needs unlimited data badly...)

i have a nexus 7, i played with a nexus 10 didnt like it as much as my 7, its kind awkward and heavy for my to use all the time. try holding it out in front of your face 3 hours and see how you feel...

i do love the android 4.2 tho sleek and sharp

--Linus Torvalds
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Because of the price and it being unlocked, I'm considering doing without a micrSD :(. I'm just hoping I can come up with some sort of peer-to-peer solution. Or maybe I'll just give up on having one device and keep a separate music player, since multitasking seems unachievable (such as audio + web at the same time).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Thanks. Because of the price and it being unlocked, I'm considering doing without a micrSD :(. I'm just hoping I can come up with some sort of peer-to-peer solution. Or maybe I'll just give up on having one device and keep a separate music player, since multitasking seems unachievable (such as audio + web at the same time).

There is this. Haven't tried it myself though.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting from my s3. My first smartphone, so I don't have much to compare it to. I charge it every night, but the battery has never died on me. I do find it to be a but slow - compared to my wifes iPhone 4, there it's a noticeable lag when starting apps. Not really a big deal though. My one complaint is that the screen is to big. I can't reach about a third of the screen with my thumb of the hand I am holding it with, meaning that it often errorts two hands to operate.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Posting from my s3. My first smartphone, so I don't have much to compare it to. I charge it every night, but the battery has never died on me. I do find it to be a but slow - compared to my wifes iPhone 4, there it's a noticeable lag when starting apps. Not really a big deal though. My one complaint is that the screen is to big. I can't reach about a third of the screen with my thumb of the hand I am holding it with, meaning that it often errorts two hands to operate.

Have you sniggered at any iPhone users yet? Congratulations on the new phone. With time you'll get better at typing. :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
lol virtual keyboards.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: