Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on ARM based laptop's (ChromeBooks)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on ARM based laptop's (ChromeBooks)? Reply with quote

Are there any reason why it should not be possible to get Gentoo to run on the upcoming Chromebooks like this:

http://www.laptopreviews.com/sony-vaio-chromebook-pictures-and-manual-leaked-thanks-to-fcc-2012-03

Would like to get a light laptop which can run 12-14 hours without a charge...
wthrowe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about any of the specifics of that machine, but I've been running Gentoo on an ARM netbook for almost a year, and it works fine. And I think that looks more powerful than my machine.

You'll probably want to set up distcc or some other method to share compiling with a more powerful computer, or emerging anything large will take a looooong time, but that's well documented and not hard.

You'll probably run into a few snags, since Gentoo's (and most upstreams') arm support is not as well polished as x86 or amd64, but I wouldn't expect any show-stopping problems.
pierro78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: gentoo on the new samsung arm chromebook ? Reply with quote

anybody has started to work (play) with gentoo on the new samsung arm chromebook ?
:)
HP 2510p
PC with FOXCONN G9657MA-8KS2H MB & Intel Q6600 CPU
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the installation is simple, straight according to the instructions from https://plus.google.com/u/0/109993695638569781190/posts/b2fazijJppZ (arm stage3 from one of the gentoo mirrors can be used as the "rootstock filesystem").

But you may not like the fact that the keyboard is missing some important keys ("del", "pgup", "pgdown", ...). And the inserted SD card is sticking out from the slot, so you would not want to transport this netbook with the SD card inserted, which makes SD card not a very attractive choice for installing your primary system on it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: