Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
EU får Nobels fredspris
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: EU får Nobels fredspris Reply with quote

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/nobels_fredspris/1.8355716

Well deserved. :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1635
Location: Poland => Lodz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google translate wrote:
Now, that is the EU a prize from no country Norway, by the Norwegian Broadcasting know.
And I thought that it translated pretty good nowadays....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google translate wrote:
Now, that is the EU a prize from no country Norway, by the Norwegian Broadcasting know.
Here try this: http://ackuna.com/badtranslator

Quote:
"Now the country Norway Norway"

_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1635
Location: Poland => Lodz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, the second time i put it into google translate I got a different result...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 343
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applause* :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well deserved as Obummer's.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not compare Oblabla's few years of lies, persistent inability, and countless failures with
decades of prosperity and peace in the European Unions.

Not if I were a yank anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
I would not compare Oblabla's few years of lies, persistent inability, and countless failures with
decades of prosperity and peace in the European Unions.

Not if I were a yank anyway.

I take it in your little fantasy world, the Balkans are no longer part of Europe. And don't forget the decades of peace and freedom in Eastern Europe under the protection of your Soviet heroes.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I take it in your little fantasy world, the Balkans are no longer part of Europe.
Right. We have bombed Yugoslavia into the Dark Ages.
How are things in Guantánamo?
Quote:
And don't forget the decades of peace and freedom in Eastern Europe under the protection of your Soviet heroes.
Thank you for pointing that out, since they have not been part of the EU during that time period!

How are things in Guantánamo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it couldn't really win the Economics prize...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
How are things in Guantánamo?


For the non terrorists, it is the only free location in commie Cuba.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbe wrote:
Well it couldn't really win the Economics prize...

:lol:
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 376
Location: Svedala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Old School wrote:
I take it in your little fantasy world, the Balkans are no longer part of Europe.
Right. We have bombed Yugoslavia into the Dark Ages.
How are things in Guantánamo?
Quote:
And don't forget the decades of peace and freedom in Eastern Europe under the protection of your Soviet heroes.
Thank you for pointing that out, since they have not been part of the EU during that time period!

How are things in Guantánamo?


Nice touchè
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
I would not compare Oblabla's few years of lies, persistent inability, and countless failures with
decades of prosperity and peace in the European Unions.

Not if I were a yank anyway.

I take it in your little fantasy world, the Balkans are no longer part of Europe. And don't forget the decades of peace and freedom in Eastern Europe under the protection of your Soviet heroes.


which were not part of the EU and its predecessors, just proving the point. But the EU DID have a stabilizing effect on those Central and Eastern Europe countries who joined it. Just compare Belarus to the Baltics, Poland or Czech Republic.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joke. Europe hasn't gone 50 years without major internal violence in... well... ever. We won't even talk about aggression against others, the occasional genocidal rampage, or responsibility for every major war in modern history.

Congratulations. Pat yourselves on the back for managing to go ten years without impaling or filling mass graves with some subset of your own population!
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
Old School wrote:
I take it in your little fantasy world, the Balkans are no longer part of Europe.
Right. We have bombed Yugoslavia into the Dark Ages.
How are things in Guantánamo?
Quote:
And don't forget the decades of peace and freedom in Eastern Europe under the protection of your Soviet heroes.
Thank you for pointing that out, since they have not been part of the EU during that time period!

How are things in Guantánamo?


Nice touchè

They are working on getting a three star listing in Fodors. Pretty funny coming from guys from two failed empires with a history of taking torture to new horizons yet to be matched and who are still bowing down to kings. :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
What a joke. Europe hasn't gone 50 years without major internal violence in... well... ever. We won't even talk about aggression against others, the occasional genocidal rampage, or responsibility for every major war in modern history.

Congratulations. Pat yourselves on the back for managing to go ten years without impaling or filling mass graves with some subset of your own population!


and that coming from an american....
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 130
Location: somewhere in Berlusconia.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
What a joke. Europe hasn't gone 50 years without major internal violence in... well... ever. We won't even talk about aggression against others, the occasional genocidal rampage, or responsibility for every major war in modern history.

Congratulations. Pat yourselves on the back for managing to go ten years without impaling or filling mass graves with some subset of your own population!


War is just frozen in the balkans, might erupt again at any time, that region is being annexed to the EU so we can bring democracy to them (bomb them again) ....
_________________
Truck!!
A posse ad esse non valet consequentia
Πάντα ῥεῖ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Alfred Nobel must be turning over in his grave. Is the nobel foundation just trying to lose all credibility? Between, this, the Obama peace prize (for doing nothing at all), and the xenophobic ass-hat staffer a couple years back saying that he wouldn't even consider American writers for the literature prize simply because of their national origin, they look absolutely childish and absurd.

The EU won this peace prize like Elvis got his black-belt. What a fucking joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 547

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
Poor Alfred Nobel must be turning over in his grave. Is the nobel foundation just trying to lose all credibility? Between, this, the Obama peace prize (for doing nothing at all), and the xenophobic ass-hat staffer a couple years back saying that he wouldn't even consider American writers for the literature prize simply because of their national origin, they look absolutely childish and absurd.

The EU won this peace prize like Elvis got his black-belt. What a fucking joke.

Peace between European nations was one of the main political goals the European Union inherited from its predecessor institutions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Coal_and_Steel_Community wrote:
...
The ECSC was first proposed by French foreign minister Robert Schuman on 9 May 1950 as a way to prevent further war between France and Germany. He declared his aim was to "make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible." The means to do so, Europe's first supranational community, was formally established by the Treaty of Paris (1951), signed not only by France and West Germany, but also by Italy and the three Benelux states: Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
...

And you can't say this goal was not achieved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can't say it was.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same "Peace Prize" given to the terrorist Yasser Arafat? The same "Peace Prize" given to the current US president who has activated the military to strike foreign nations without congressional approval, has his own "kill list", and has been using drone strikes on "brown kids" in Asia for the past nearly 4 years? If so, the EU deserves it.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just hilarious how the Conservatives in the USA go apeshit-crazy. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
It is just hilarious how the Conservatives in the USA go apeshit-crazy. :lol:


More amusing are the euros who think this is actually something to be proud of ;)
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
This is the same "Peace Prize" given to the terrorist Yasser Arafat? The same "Peace Prize" given to the current US president who has activated the military to strike foreign nations without congressional approval, has his own "kill list", and has been using drone strikes on "brown kids" in Asia for the past nearly 4 years? If so, the EU deserves it.


is that really what gets under your skin?

before EU france and germany were at each others throats. I don't think war has broken out between EU nations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum