Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emerge fails on first attempt, works on second.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Emerge fails on first attempt, works on second. Reply with quote

Sometimes when I try to install or update the system, the emerge process fails on one of the packages. Then, with another emerge using the exact same line, everything works fine. Is this normal behavior and is it safe to ignore the error and run emerge again when something fails? Or should I be concerned when an emerge fails. Usually I try to run emerge once or twice after a failure and if it still doesn't work, then I turn to the log files to see what is happening.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavily depends on the packages in question. Sometimes it's possible, that a dependency needs to be re-emerged before the actual merge can happen successfully, think circular dependencies f.e.

Since the files/contents of failed emerge runs aren't merged to the system, there's usually no harm involved, thus it's safe to just try again. Depending on the packages involved, espacially from the @system set it's advised to take a closer look, sometimes that might be an indicator of something possibly failing later on.

So imho, there's no definate answer and you should always feel free to ask for advice - just be sure to have the logs ready if someone requests them.
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! Your answer was very helpful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: