Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wikipedia: 52 years ago Inejiro Asanuma was assisinated
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Wikipedia: 52 years ago Inejiro Asanuma was assisinated Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inejiro_Asanuma#Assassination

I don't pretend to know the exact history, but the image alone shows that the young assassin obviously agreed with the Scottish saying:

"For we fight not for glory, no riches, no honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life."
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One less authoritarian commie cocksucker.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commie dies. Becomes a matyr.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the expressions on their faces. It is honestly one of the most amazing photos I've ever seen.

It shows all too well that authoritarianism is dependent on the strength of others. Without the ability to exploit others they alone are weak and cowardly. Had he in the slightest way stood his ground and attempted to control the situation it might not have been a fatal blow.
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also -- assassin was seventeen years old, before sheepification was complete.
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was like "so what?" until I read he got assassinated with a fucking katana.
Awesome.

BonezTheGoon wrote:
It shows all too well that authoritarianism is dependent on the strength of others. Without the ability to exploit others they alone are weak and cowardly. Had he in the slightest way stood his ground and attempted to control the situation it might not have been a fatal blow.

Exactly!
Hadn't Lincoln been such an authorian he'd probably caught the pullet and redirected it to his attacker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 547

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true hero, a defender of the free market and all the other various types of freedoms the emperor represented and that made pre-WWII Japan such a freedomy place, regarding the market and otherwise, until the socialists and other post-19th-century people came along and took it all away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.


Doesn't look like any defense to me on the part of Inejiro Asanuma. You are welcome to your opinion, I just disagree.

I did see the guy behind the microphone trying to grab the assassins arm -- obviously he missed.

[Edit: Fixed my failure with punctuation (changed the period after "opinion" to a comma.)]
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."


Last edited by BonezTheGoon on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.


All pointless. If he wouldn't have been an authoritarian commie he wouldn't have needed to be culled like the cur dog he was. This is what should be done to all socialists. It is best for the gene pool.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
I do love the expressions on their faces. It is honestly one of the most amazing photos I've ever seen.

It shows all too well that authoritarianism is dependent on the strength of others. Without the ability to exploit others they alone are weak and cowardly. Had he in the slightest way stood his ground and attempted to control the situation it might not have been a fatal blow.


oh yeah? you mean the authoritarin right wing nut case with the sword when you write 'weak and cowardly' don't you?

'Stand his ground' my ass. I would like to see your face if someone with a sword attacked you on a stage. You being surprised and unarmed.

Would it be ok to broadcast pics of your soiled pants afterwards?
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.


All pointless. If he wouldn't have been an authoritarian commie he wouldn't have needed to be culled like the cur dog he was. This is what should be done to all socialists. It is best for the gene pool.


wow - are you joking right now? Or are you and and Bonez seriously such deep in asshole land right now? What about authoritarian right wingers - aka fascists or republicants - kill them too?
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Old School wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.


All pointless. If he wouldn't have been an authoritarian commie he wouldn't have needed to be culled like the cur dog he was. This is what should be done to all socialists. It is best for the gene pool.


wow - are you joking right now? Or are you and and Bonez seriously such deep in asshole land right now? What about authoritarian right wingers - aka fascists or republicants - kill them too?

Just doing my wildhorse impersonation.

What's the matter? Dish it out, but can't take it?
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
BonezTheGoon wrote:
I do love the expressions on their faces. It is honestly one of the most amazing photos I've ever seen.

It shows all too well that authoritarianism is dependent on the strength of others. Without the ability to exploit others they alone are weak and cowardly. Had he in the slightest way stood his ground and attempted to control the situation it might not have been a fatal blow.


oh yeah? you mean the authoritarin right wing nut case with the sword when you write 'weak and cowardly' don't you?

'Stand his ground' my ass. I would like to see your face if someone with a sword attacked you on a stage. You being surprised and unarmed.

Would it be ok to broadcast pics of your soiled pants afterwards?


Trust me I have plenty of unflattering pictures of my face caught by camera at inopportune moments, with far less stress involved.

I'm truly sorry if somehow I've offended you.

I had no idea that you were an authoritarian (which to my knowledge is the only grouping of people I have commented against in this thread.) I didn't call the right-wing extremist a hero, or even say that I agreed with him.

I did specifically say that I wasn't pretending to know the exact history. I stated the limits of my knowledge about the story, which is honestly fully limited to the Wikipedia article, and we all know how "reliable" they always are. I specifically stated "Wikipedia" in the subject so that people would know BEFORE clicking on the thread that is where the information came from. If you want to turn this into some kind of flame-war go ahead. You sure are going to look like an ass from where I am sitting if you think I've "sided" with the assassin. I've simply stated my disdain for authoritarianism and made some personal commentary on a photo, you shouldn't read too much political-slant into those two things.

Also, I think it was pretty clear from the get go that people were joking around in this thread. I personally haven't been, but I think you can expect it in OTW typically. Maybe you should consider a brew and a screw, then come back to OTW a little more relaxed. That is, if you aren't too busy playing your authoritarian role at the moment.
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to be very kind and gentle to our beloved conservative yanks this evening. They are already hyperventilating after reading the news from Norway. Old School is most likely experiencing some form of cardiac arrhythmia. I recommend to drink whisky and rye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
We need to be very kind and gentle to our beloved conservative yanks this evening. They are already hyperventilating after reading the news from Norway. Old School is most likely experiencing some form of cardiac arrhythmia. I recommend to drink whisky and rye.


Well at least you give good medical advice. I'll take several, thanks!

[Edit: WTF happened in Norway?]
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Little Pony is bragging about the Nobel Peace Prize going to the European Union, as if the Peace Prize actually meant anything.

Penis envy is an ugly emotion to witness from MLP.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the grandfather: http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/en/pochs_g/028394.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
For the grandfather: http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/en/pochs_g/028394.jpg

:lol:
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
(looking at the picture)

The victim tried to defend himself with his hands. Hopeless against a sword. Instead he should have tried to use his right foot to pull the rug out from under the assassin. The guy behind the microphone tried to hold the assassin's arm. Pointless. He should have made a fist and rammed his thumb into the assassin's armpit. Instant pain and loss of control. The guy behind the assassin isn't doing anything useful. He should have kicked the assassin, preferably into his spine.

He had already been stabbed at that point. If you watch the video frame by frame starting at 1:13, the assassin rushes up and stabs him before he has done anything but glance to the left. There's a frame where the dosu (not a katana, which is much longer) is in him up to the hilt, and his face doesn't yet even register any distress.

The dude was lighting fast. What you see in the photo is him already having pulled it out and getting ready to give him another one.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do you know, Wikipedia has its details all messed up again. What a shocker.
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum