View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Debate: Biden vs Ryan Reply with quote

Topic: Foreign and domestic policy
Date: October 11, 9:00 pm EST
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the President's Campaign has a doctor implant a chip behind Biden's ear after telling him if he gets off message he will immediately be terminated.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one will require some drinks. I'm expecting the most hilarious beatdown in vice presidential debate history.

Paul Ryan won't have a problem with this fool.

I just wish it were Chris Christie vs Biden, so we could hear the phrases "numb nuts" and "putz" during the course of the schooling of the retard Biden.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
This one will require some drinks.

++ Strong ones. I am very much looking forward to it.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Muso wrote:
This one will require some drinks.

++ Strong ones. I am very much looking forward to it.

I'm avoiding all of the "debate drinking games" being posted, as I'll end up with alcohol poisoning if I try and follow those rules.

Instead, I'm doing what you're suggesting.... strong drink! Not at a rapid pace, but just enough to keep a perma-grin going.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Fairy might be in order.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biden's heading to the debate
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Bidden did pretty well last time. Then again, that was against Sarah Palin.

This time, I imagine the strategy would have to be, "don't lock horns with Ryan or engage defensively; just deliver a series of prepared statements that pretty much mirror the Obama attack ads, to at least give the impression you're not haplessly defending yourself like Obama. Trick Ryan into definding the most "extremist" of his past statements rather than the Romney/Ryan platform."

Also, they'll probably try to somehow force the moderator to come to their rescue even more than Lehrer did.

Plus, I expect the mainstream media to vigorously take part in furthering the Obama "reality" that Romney/Ryan facts are lies, while Obama/Bidden lies are facts. Watch for the real-time Truth-o-Meter I predicted.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you got against the truth? Oh wait, scratch that. Silly question.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
What have you got against the truth? Oh wait, scratch that. Silly question.

You wouldn't know the truth if you got a truth enema. You're one of the most closed-minded and cognitively rigid people I've ever encountered.

Have you ever seen that Rain-X product people wipe on their windshields? (It makes water just bead up and run right off. If you're driving fast, you don't even need to use your windshield wipers; water just blows right off.) Well, it's like somebody dipped you in Fact-X every night for the past 10 years or something. :P
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this debate an equivalent of a Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris?
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Is this debate an equivalent of a Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris?

More like Andre the giant vs Justin Bieber, which one's Andre and Which one's Bieber depends on which side you ask. :P

I just hope this one isn't as boring as the last one.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabrielYYZ wrote:
More like Andre the giant vs Justin Bieber, which one's Andre and Which one's Bieber depends on which side you ask. :P

Are you serious? Do you know anyone, aside from Biden himself, who thinks that Biden's intelligent at all?
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

Are you serious? Do you know anyone, aside from Biden himself, who thinks that Biden's intelligent at all?

Precisely my point...

See how, for you, Biden's Justin Bieber? Now ask someone with views diametrically opossed to yours about Ryan and you'll see how they say he doesn't know anything.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabrielYYZ wrote:
Muso wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

Precisely my point...

See how, for you, Biden's Justin Bieber? Now ask someone with views diametrically opossed to yours about Ryan and you'll see how they say he doesn't know anything.

It's not a matter of political leaning. Nobody thinks Biden's bright... left/right/center/libertarian/bat-shit-crazy-communists... nobody... aside from Biden himself. :lol:
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Ryan known to be bright. i don't know anything about either, except a brief reading on the wiki pages. Ryan like Ayn Rand, or went through a Rand phase, so that's a strike against him. but hey, i went through a marx phase.

we'll see tomorrow.

oh, and I always love this from a freedom lover.

wiki wrote:

Ryan opposes same-sex marriage, supports a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, opposed the repeal of the don't ask, don't tell policy, has opposed same-sex couples adopting children, and voted against the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.[145][149][156] Ryan voted in favor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act in 2007.[145] The Human Rights Campaign, a GLBT rights organization, has frequently given Ryan a 0/100 rating on its legislative scorecard.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marx has got a lot to say about capitalism and still deserves to be read.
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:
Muso wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

Precisely my point...

It's not a matter of political leaning. Nobody thinks Biden's bright... left/right/center/libertarian/bat-shit-crazy-communists... nobody... aside from Biden himself. :lol:

You're missing the point, some people on the left will argue that Biden is a foreign policy giant and people on the right will argue that Ryan is a powerhouse on social and economic matters, while they both argue the other guy is questionable.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
is Ryan known to be bright.

Yes.

juniper wrote:
i don't know anything about either, except a brief reading on the wiki pages. Ryan like Ayn Rand, or went through a Rand phase, so that's a strike against him.

The arguments crafted in Rand's stories are quite good, so for me it is a plus that he enjoys her work. Ryan rejects Objectionism, but seems to like the general "vibe" of Rand's fictional works.

I'll take Ryan's appreciation of Rand over Biden's love of Dr. Seuss (his reading comprehension doesn't get much high than Seuss).
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Ryan rejects Objectionism, but seems to like the general "vibe" of Rand's fictional works.

He doesn't reject Rand at all he just downplays it to avoid the wrath of the religious right against the arch-atheist and pseudo-intellectual Randy An. Ryan has been afflicted by a life-long devotion to objectionablism and isn't giving it up any time soon. This is what he said as recently as three years ago:

Quote:
"what’s unique about what’s happening today in government, in the world, in America, is that it’s as if we’re living in an Ayn Rand novel right now. I think Ayn Rand did the best job of anybody to build a moral case of capitalism"
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Muso wrote:
Ryan rejects Objectionism, but seems to like the general "vibe" of Rand's fictional works.

He doesn't reject Rand at all he just downplays it to avoid the wrath of the religious right against the arch-atheist and pseudo-intellectual Randy An. Ryan has been afflicted by a life-long devotion to objectionablism and isn't giving it up any time soon. This is what he said as recently as three years ago:

Quote:
"what’s unique about what’s happening today in government, in the world, in America, is that it’s as if we’re living in an Ayn Rand novel right now. I think Ayn Rand did the best job of anybody to build a moral case of capitalism"

Thank you for proving that you neither understand Objectionailitiasimanialosm nor the stories of Rand. If you look at Ryan's voting record you will see that he is clearly not an objectivist. While reading the absolute scumbaggery of characters like Ellsworth Toohey & Wesley Mouch, and then seeing their type infect Washington... it is a rather good reason to get into politics.

And it's not just Ryan who is seeing a parallel between Rand's novels and modern government... Atlas Shrugged has seen huge sales since Obama came to power.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabrielYYZ wrote:
Muso wrote:
GabrielYYZ wrote:

Precisely my point...

Not even Democrats will say Biden is smarter or more knowledgeable than Ryan. They know Biden.

Biden himself doesn't even think Biden is smart. That's why he keeps himself looking good and tries so hard to be funny and likable. If you're good-looking, funny and likable, people generally forgive you for being pretty much a dumb-ass. Biden and everybody else know he's pretty much a dumb-ass.

Since they can't go there, they are instead focused on Ryan being evil (meaning he wants smaller government, lower taxes, and less free shit for freeloading Democrats).

Also Biden is no foreign policy giant. He was positioned as that last election because, compared to Obama, anybody was a foreign policy giant. In 2008 the story was, "Don't worry that Obama doesn't know jack about foreign policy; we're going to have Biden handle that." Now I ask you? Has Biden been "handling that"? Not.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Muso wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for proving that you neither understand Objectionailitiasimanialosm nor the stories of Rand. If you look at Ryan's voting record you will see that he is clearly not an objectivist. While reading the absolute scumbaggery of characters like Ellsworth Toohey & Wesley Mouch, and then seeing their type infect Washington... it is a rather good reason to get into politics.

And it's not just Ryan who is seeing a parallel between Rand's novels and modern government... Atlas Shrugged has seen huge sales since Obama came to power.

Isn't there a remake of the movie about to come out, like any day now or something?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Isn't there a remake of the movie about to come out, like any day now or something?

yeah. They did the first 1/2 as Atlas Shrugged part 1 and part 2 is coming out this weekend iirc. The problem is 1 was a bad movie. I can't place all of the blame on the film makers though. Ayn Rand's fiction is not the most eloquent writing. While her protagonist's arguments are brilliant, the rest of the novels sections are pretty badly written. It is worth reading The Fountainhead & Atlas Shrugged... but not because the writing is so elegant.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

yeah. They did the first 1/2 as Atlas Shrugged part 1 and part 2 is coming out this weekend iirc. The problem is 1 was a bad movie. I can't place all of the blame on the film makers though. Ayn Rand's fiction is not the most eloquent writing. While her protagonist's arguments are brilliant, the rest of the novels sections are pretty badly written. It is worth reading The Fountainhead & Atlas Shrugged... but not because the writing is so elegant.

Wait, I said "remake", but I was thinking of the movie of The Fountainhead.

Her stuff requires in-depth explanation, which doesn't lend itself well to movies. A documentary of the rationale would probably be more effective.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: