[SOLVED] New Kernel Stops Booting After SCSI Detect
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] New Kernel Stops Booting After SCSI Detect Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to rebuild a system from scratch for about a week now. It once had a working Gentoo installation, I believe last installed in early 2011 or late 2010. I've tried several times from scratch each time, tried different boot media (4 different Gentoo LiveCD Versions, 2 different SysRescCD versions), and even different kernel versions, but I always hit this same problem. For arguments sake, I even took an old working kernel from the old system backup that I know worked before the rebuild, and it does the exact same thing. I'm stumped.

As the system goes through the kernel bootup, it detects my SAS hardware and looks like it proceeds to probe other drives that might be available. It picks up two Virtual drives that are built in to my hardware (Sun SunFire x4100), and unfortunately, they cannot be disabled (they can be "turned off" in the BIOS, but they remain as physically attached devices). The two devices are picked up as SCSI devices for some reason (makes sense for the CDROM, not so much for the Floppy). I can see the Virtual CDROM being scanned, and it picks it up as a SCSI disk, then it scans the Virtual Floppy, picks it up as a SCSI Removable Device, and it just stops. It doesn't panic, and it doesn't appear to be hung (the underscore keeps flashing), but it doesn't continue any further.

I've never had to troubleshoot an issue like this before. I've been google searching for days to no avail. I've found similar problems but the resolutions never work for me (and the problems are never identical to mine). The one major downside to my current situation is the box experiencing issues is my internet gateway which makes troubleshooting that much more difficult.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this further or does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Without the ability to strace or crunch logs or debug this any further with my current knowledge, I'm stuck!

Last edited by Crimjob on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the linux-sparc mailing list?
http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&r=1&b=201210&w=2

(It is a vger majordomo list if you wish to subscribe and
ask a question.)
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually amd64, not SPARC, but thanks for the suggestion!

I managed to solve it finally after spending hours late at work searching to the end of the internets :)

It was one or the other, I don't care too much to find out which one, but neither existed in my old kernel config, so it's still a mystery to me how my old system booted fine with the exact same kernel and the new system would not.

Code:
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
(/sbin/hotplug) path to uevent helper
[*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
[*] Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the rootfs

Code:
Device Drivers --->
SCSI Device Support --->
[*] Asynchronous SCSI scanning

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1