The New Iranian Hostage Crisis
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: The New Iranian Hostage Crisis Reply with quote

Quote:
Iran reacts to Syrian rebels' ultimatum that they will execute 48 hostages if Iran, Assad don't comply with their demands.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Saturday that Syrian rebels are responsible for the safety of 48 Iranians kidnapped in August, the Iranian Labor News Agency (ILNA) reported.

The Syrian rebels said in a video posted on YouTube that they would start to execute the Iranians, whom it says are members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) if Iran and Syria do not stop striking Syrian citizens.

The video shows a rebel officer dressed in army fatigues standing in front of a group of hostages. The officer said that the execution threats came after the failure of negotiations with the Syrian authorities to exchange the Iranians for Syrian rebel prisoners.

According to ILNA, Ramin Mehmanparast said Iran "condemned the continuing lack of freedom of Iranian pilgrims in Syria."

"The responsibility for their lives lies with their kidnappers and their supporters," the foreign ministry spokesman added.

Mehmanparast said that the "use of defenseless pilgrims as human shields goes against the principles of human rights."

Iranian officials have claimed that the 48 hostages are Shiite pilgrims and an Afghani interpreter who visited Syria for religious reasons. According to Iran, they were kidnapped just outside Damascus as they visited the shrine of Hazrat Zainab, the daughter of Imam Ali.

However, their Syrian rebel captors say the 48 men are IRGC members who came to Syria to help president Bashar Assad's forces quash the rebellion against his regime.

Though Iran denies that the hostages were in Syria for military reasons, Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has previously said that one of those kidnapped was a retired IRGC member.

In May, Iran admitted for the first time that members of the IRGC's extraterritorial unit, the Qods Force, are in Syria. Qods Force deputy commander Esmail Gha'ani said that the IRGC was aiding Syria, in a report that was quickly removed from Iranian news websites.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=286859

Pretty funny to hear Iranians complaining about hostage-taking. My favorite part is the bit about how using human shields. Apparently the Iranians consider that a violation of human rights, forcing children to roll themselves across mine fields to clear them for the soldiers -- that's okay.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, someone should just nuke the whole damn area and have it all annexed by something. Oh wait, now I get why Romney doesn't sound all that bad at times...

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
Meh, someone should just nuke the whole damn area and have it all annexed by something. Oh wait, now I get why Romney doesn't sound all that bad at times...

Time to start trying to stir up buzz about green glass jewelry. Might as well capitalize on the inevitable.
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys make a lot of jokes about nuking people, but really, you can't be serious, can you?
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomilieu wrote:
You guys make a lot of jokes about nuking people, but really, you can't be serious, can you?
I can be serious. I just chose not to.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

Time to start trying to stir up buzz about green glass jewelry. Might as well capitalize on the inevitable.
Agreed. Maybe we can find "evidence" of the lot of them working on WMDs. That should be easy :twisted:.

pigeon768 wrote:
nomilieu wrote:
I can be serious. I just chose not to.
much more fun that way. but if it makes you feel any better, nomilieu, dirty bombs would work for me, too.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: Weirdo.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An EMP over Persia would do the trick.
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
An EMP over Persia would do the trick.

What a fun would be to deliver it with flying carpet :lol:
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just forcefully convert everybody in the 'middle east' and southeast asia to zoroastrism. Convert or die!

Problem solved. Really. One of the very few decent religions out there.

If we have to glassify Saudi Arabia.. I volunteer for pushing the buttons.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the amber substance in Fringe would be more humane. Let someone else in the future deal with the Middle East, but for now just glue it all up in amber.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuking the whole Middle East would not be environmentally friendly and would have unacceptable collateral damage for the rest of humanity.

A much better approach would be to devise a biological weapon specific to a particular genetic signature, highly contagious after a two weeks of incubation, and lethal after about a month (making it almost impossible to contain and very quick to spread widely).

This is far more humane, because it would minimize collateral damage and harm to the ecosystem.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Nuking the whole Middle East would not be environmentally friendly and would have unacceptable collateral damage for the rest of humanity.

A much better approach would be to devise a biological weapon specific to a particular genetic signature, highly contagious after a two weeks of incubation, and lethal after about a month (making it almost impossible to contain and very quick to spread widely).

This is far more humane, because it would minimize collateral damage and harm to the ecosystem.

The Big Nose gene? The brown eyed gene? Brown skinned?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

AIDS, super-flu and various others haven't worked out so well. It is apparently more tricky to implement than it is to fantasize. :P

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: