Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why does nobody post this? USA unemployment DOWN.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Why does nobody post this? USA unemployment DOWN. Reply with quote

oh yeah, bunch of irrational Obama haters who can not stomach good news.

Thanks to Obama's politics unemployment rate TANKED:
Quote:

The latest numbers also showed that the US economy added a further 114,000 jobs in September, beating expectations.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19845234

Quote:

U.S. jobless rate unexpectedly fell to 7.8 percent in September, the lowest since President Barack Obama took office in January 2009, from 8.1 percent as employers took on more part-time workers, a report showed.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-05/u-dot-k-dot-stocks-rise-before-jobs-data-burberry-shares-climb
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers are cooked. The 114,000 jobs you referenced is less growth than the month before, which was less than the month before that.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still, numbers are going down - and are the lowest since Obama took over.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's talking about it because nobody believes it. The percentage is down only because the administration reclassified a huge number of people as "not seeking work" based on having been unemployed for a long time. It's already backfiring, because everybody knows.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Nobody's talking about it because nobody belirves it. The percentage is down only because the administration reclassified a huge number of people as "not seeking work" based on having been unemployed for a long time. It's already backfiring, because everybody knows.


really? because using google news I did not see much backfiring.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a headline that said "Can't debate so I'll fudge numbers."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
still, numbers are going down - and are the lowest since Obama took over.

Even if you take the numbers at face value, it is still far short of what was promised three years ago.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real unemployment rate is around 11%.

There are 23,000,000 people out of work, we add 100,000 jobs, and suddenly the sun is shining? I guess must be the "math" Obama was bragging about.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Even if you take the numbers at face value, it is still far short of what was promised three years ago.
And you believed Oblabla. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The real unemployment rate is around 11%.

There are 23,000,000 people out of work, we add 100,000 jobs, and suddenly the sun is shining? I guess must be the "math" Obama was bragging about.


100 000 per month.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
The real unemployment rate is around 11%.

There are 23,000,000 people out of work, we add 100,000 jobs, and suddenly the sun is shining? I guess must be the "math" Obama was bragging about.


100 000 per month.

Using their numbers (118,000 jobs added, that being a 0.3% change, over one month), we went from 39,333,333 unemployed to 39,215,333. And that's supposed to be good news (assuming their numbers bear some semblance to reality).

That's like throwing a drowning man a toothpick and expecting him to be happy about it.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does nobody post this? USA unemployment DOWN. Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
oh yeah, bunch of irrational Obama haters who can not stomach good news.


The boost in employment mainly comes from thousands of rape-ublican muck-spreaders paid to spout anti-Obama gibberish on internet forums. If they were honest, they'd have to admit they need him more than anyone. Their own jobs wouldn't exist without him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
The numbers are cooked. The 114,000 jobs you referenced is less growth than the month before, which was less than the month before that.


Indeed. It's not the U6 numbers, it's the "household survey" where they call a relatively small number of houses and ask "are you working". The U6 numbers(actual statistics from industry) are as bleak as ever.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:
The numbers are cooked. The 114,000 jobs you referenced is less growth than the month before, which was less than the month before that.


Indeed. It's not the U6 numbers, it's the "household survey" where they call a relatively small number of houses and ask "are you working". The U6 numbers(actual statistics from industry) are as bleak as ever.

Unless I am confused (always a possibility), the U1 through U6 estimates all come from the household survey. See here from the BLS

In addition to the U3 and U6 numbers (which measure different things), there is also a difference between the household survey and the payroll survey. See here for more on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 456
Location: /US/Illinois

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Old School wrote:
Even if you take the numbers at face value, it is still far short of what was promised three years ago.
And you believed Oblabla. :lol:
Enough to vote for him :D
_________________
Bastiat wrote:
“The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
wildhorse wrote:
Old School wrote:
Even if you take the numbers at face value, it is still far short of what was promised three years ago.
And you believed Oblabla. :lol:
Enough to vote for him :D

You suck one cock, and for the rest of your life you are known as a cocksucker. :oops:
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
You suck one cock, and for the rest of your life you are known as a cocksucker. :oops:

Once you had black, you can't go back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Old School wrote:
You suck one cock, and for the rest of your life you are known as a cocksucker. :oops:

Once you had black, you can't go back.

New slogan for Obama's reinvented campaign! \o/
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:
The numbers are cooked. The 114,000 jobs you referenced is less growth than the month before, which was less than the month before that.


Indeed. It's not the U6 numbers, it's the "household survey" where they call a relatively small number of houses and ask "are you working". The U6 numbers(actual statistics from industry) are as bleak as ever.

Unless I am confused (always a possibility), the U1 through U6 estimates all come from the household survey. See here from the BLS

In addition to the U3 and U6 numbers (which measure different things), there is also a difference between the household survey and the payroll survey. See here for more on that.


++

Also, the measures for employment (u1 to u6 etc) haven't been revised since 1994. I thought BK had said that the administration had reclassified a whole pile of people. I don't see how they could have done it, without revising the criteria.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides being good news for obama, why do people think the data is cooked? Is there evidence of this? This type of stuff should be done by an independent body.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
This type of stuff should be done by an independent body.


Indeed
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's small potatoes, no matter how you look at it. We still have a huge problem on our hands either way. But, this is the kind of thinking that has people thinking skeptically about the numbers:
Quote:
The official unemployment rate fell a miraculous .3% in a month, from 8.1% to 7.8% just in time for the November elections. This comes a month after the BLS miraculously found a few hundred thousand new jobs they had "previously missed" this year dropping the official rate from 8.3% to 8.1%, last month. This would be good news, if it meant that more Americans were finding work in proportion. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), works for the Executive Branch, for the White House, for Obama, and says there were 114,000 new jobs in September, but there are 465,000 fewer unemployed workers in September. The difference of 351,000 appears to be unaccounted for.

Somehow, though only 144,000 people found work last month, there are 775,000 more people employed than in August. And this is irrespective of those laid off in September.

The question is how do you reduce the unemployment rate so dramatically while adding only as many jobs as needed to maintain the current rate? The answer, for the BLS, is to reduce the number of unadjusted 16-19 year old males you include in the Labor Force, dramatically. This allows you to show realistic numbers in other blocks, including the "adjusted" numbers, while lowering the unemployment rate. Then you reduce the number of "unadjusted" unemployed by 954,000 instead of the 144,000 new jobs, so the "adjusted" number goes down by 456,000, or .3% in a month. This takes 211,000 total people out of the "adjusted" Labor Force, in a month.

Seasonally adjusted," there are fewer Americans in the Labor Force now than in June, officially. That would mean that since June, accounting for those Americans that returned to school, 100,000 more Americans have retired, died, or been thrown in jail or psych wards, than entered working age. That's 211,000 fewer Americans, of all ages, that are in the Labor Force than in September 2011. To get there, they reduced the number of 16+ year old males in the Labor Force by 268,000 since last month, seasonally adjusted. It reduced the number of 16+ year old males in the Labor Force, in unadjusted numbers, by 711,000, and "seasonally adjusted," by 799,000, from last year. Either we have a lot fewer 16+ year old males than last year, or we have a lot more in jail.

_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joel Prakken, chairman of Macroeconomic Advisers, LLC, said the gains may be solid enough to lower the national unemployment rate. "Continued solid gains in employment since Spring further allay fears that the broad economic recovery may be undermined by a softening trend in employment," he said. "The gain in private employment in September is strong enough to suggest that the national unemployment rate may have declined."

Last month, based on data from August, the national unemployment rate dropped from 8.3 to 8.1 percent. And while a drop in the unemployment rate may seem positive, it was mostly the result of some 368,000 people who gave up their search for work, according to the U.S. Labor Department.


seems like the ADP report shows the same trend as the BLS report.

http://wireupdate.com/adp-report-u-s-private-sector-added-162000-jobs-in-september.html
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum