Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
intel HD support for i7-2600 igp?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4926

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: intel HD support for i7-2600 igp? Reply with quote

Hello,

how well does the intel driver supports the HD on the i7-2600's IGP?
does it able to play FHD with audio smoothly?

Thanks.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 3944
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried much video because I don't really watch much video, but I've been able to play World of Warcrack under Wine on my i7-2700K (HD 3000) and i5-3317U (HD 4000) onchip graphics in Gentoo...

In fact currently all Intel driver bug reports are only being maintained on the Intel HD graphics systems leaving the old graphics systems in the dust... :(
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed to be advocating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4926

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I haven't tried much video because I don't really watch much video, but I've been able to play World of Warcrack under Wine on my i7-2700K (HD 3000) and i5-3317U (HD 4000) onchip graphics in Gentoo...

is there any chance you can test your 2700K on a FHD movie?
eccerr0r wrote:

In fact currently all Intel driver bug reports are only being maintained on the Intel HD graphics systems leaving the old graphics systems in the dust... :(

meaning, they don't fix bugs for older generations?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: intel HD support for i7-2600 igp? Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
how well does the intel driver supports the HD on the i7-2600's IGP?

Very well.

DaggyStyle wrote:
does it able to play FHD with audio smoothly?

If the CPU can't do it, you can use mplayer-vaapi (or some other vaapi player) for hardware decoding. That will work for sure.

DaggyStyle wrote:
meaning, they don't fix bugs for older generations?

The only thing that doesn't get love is hardware decoding on 4500. But everything else is handled for all generations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 3944
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any movies really to test, but VAAPI is being worked on, it should be working but they are accepting bug reports to fix.

On the intelgraphics website they do regression testing on HD4000 and HD3000 chipsets and a bunch of others, sadly my old 945GM, 915G, 965G don't get regressed...
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed to be advocating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4926

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: intel HD support for i7-2600 igp? Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
how well does the intel driver supports the HD on the i7-2600's IGP?

Very well.

DaggyStyle wrote:
does it able to play FHD with audio smoothly?

If the CPU can't do it, you can use mplayer-vaapi (or some other vaapi player) for hardware decoding. That will work for sure.

DaggyStyle wrote:
meaning, they don't fix bugs for older generations?

The only thing that doesn't get love is hardware decoding on 4500. But everything else is handled for all generations.

I'm looking for gpu hw decoding rather than cpu, for that I have mplayer2 with mt support.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: intel HD support for i7-2600 igp? Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I'm looking for gpu hw decoding rather than cpu, for that I have mplayer2 with mt support.

mplayer2 doesn't support vaapi, so you won't get hardware decoding with it. You need mplayer-vaapi, which is a patched mplayer.

Also, it's not the gpu doing the decoding, but a dedicated piece of decoder hw. GPUs suck at decoding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4926

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: intel HD support for i7-2600 igp? Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
I'm looking for gpu hw decoding rather than cpu, for that I have mplayer2 with mt support.

mplayer2 doesn't support vaapi, so you won't get hardware decoding with it. You need mplayer-vaapi, which is a patched mplayer.

Also, it's not the gpu doing the decoding, but a dedicated piece of decoder hw. GPUs suck at decoding.


well it seems that mythtv has vaapi support so that might be what I need, btw, goes the igp has its own processors or it "borrows" the cpu ones?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum