Installation using existing partitions? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this posts, my internet is being unreliable.

I have no idea why root would not be showing up except that perhaps it has the same name as your luks partition. I would delete root using lvremove vg/root and then create a new logical volume with a different name as root, say newroot or similar and see if that does the trick.

As for your other question its a an all at once assignment. The first option gives home 20 gig and the second gives it all the space you have. The unassigned space will stay that way until you redistribute it. Of course you know more about how much data you have than I do so don't sell yourself short on /home just because I posted 20Gib. The only advantage of leaving unassigned space is so you can grow other partitions if they start to run low on space or create new partitions without shrinking you other partitions which can be dangerous.

I would say that 10-20 Gig would be a very generous reserve as that would be enough space to split your root partition into as many partitions as possible and you don't strike me as the type to make extra partitions just for the fun of it. This is just my take on it, of course.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I hope this posts, my internet is being unreliable.

I have no idea why root would not be showing up except that perhaps it has the same name as your luks partition. I would delete root using lvremove vg/root and then create a new logical volume with a different name as root, say newroot or similar and see if that does the trick.

As for your other question its a an all at once assignment. The first option gives home 20 gig and the second gives it all the space you have. The unassigned space will stay that way until you redistribute it. Of course you know more about how much data you have than I do so don't sell yourself short on /home just because I posted 20Gib. The only advantage of leaving unassigned space is so you can grow other partitions if they start to run low on space or create new partitions without shrinking you other partitions which can be dangerous.

I would say that 10-20 Gig would be a very generous reserve as that would be enough space to split your root partition into as many partitions as possible and you don't strike me as the type to make extra partitions just for the fun of it. This is just my take on it, of course.

I think that I did indeed label the luks volume root which would explain the problem.

Unfortunately in a fit of frustration, and to play it safe, I deleted the voulme and decided to start from scratch again so can't check.

I am going to take another stab at it tonight so will post updates again later.

Thank you for the additional information re: the commands you provided. It was helpful.

I have 100GB of data that lived on home and it was growing. I was thinking of assigning 500GB to home and leaving the remaining 300 for potential growth anywhere else later. But it sounds like you are saying I can assign it all to home minus 20/30GB or so. Is that accurate?

You are correct. I am not one of those that partitions everything out. Excluding Win-doze partitions the most I have broken out previous distro's was boot,root,home. I always broke out root from home because it has been ingrained in me to keep data separate from the system. Probably not necessary now though on the modern OS.

Best.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that how much you assign to home is a very personal choice and given your preferences I that keeping maybe 20 Gib as a backup is probably generous. Of course, there is no reason you can't use the entire disk. The only reason I recommended keeping some unassigned is because it is by far easier and safer to extend than shrink a partition and fileystem and 20 Gib for root may be a bit tight. It really does sound about right, but life happens.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Doctor"]- Continued -

USE genkernel! You want a kernel that works before you go trying to do it yourself.
Use this command:
Code:
genkernel  --lvm --luks --menuconfig all

.../quote]

It has been a long night. Haha.

I was able to successfully get everything done up until this point. For my life I have not been able to install genkernel to continue. I am not sure how much output you need but in a nutshell when I ran
Code:
it said genkernel not found so I ran
Code:
emerge genkernel
and it wasn't found. After reading the portage and emerge documentation I ran
Code:
emerge --sync
and then
Code:
emerge genkernel
again and it was found but from this point I am having problems.

Quote:
[ebuild N #] sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43 USE="crypt -cryptsetup (-ibm) (-selinux)"
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/openrc-0.9.9 ("<sys-apps/openrc-0.9.9" is blocking sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/openrc-0.9.8.4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
sys-apps/openrc required by @selected

(sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
genkernel

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by genkernel (argument)
=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43 ~x86

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
# /etc/portage/package.mask:
# system packages
=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring CONFIG_PROTECT).

So I tried both --autounmask-keep-masks option and --autounmask-write options separately and still no go.

Quote:
root@sysresccd /root % emerge genkernel --autounmask-write

* IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

* IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.keywords' needs updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N #] sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43 USE="crypt -cryptsetup (-ibm) (-selinux)"
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/openrc-0.9.9 ("<sys-apps/openrc-0.9.9" is blocking sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/openrc-0.9.8.4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
sys-apps/openrc required by @selected

(sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
genkernel

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43 ~x86

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
# /etc/portage/package.mask:
# system packages
=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Autounmask changes successfully written. Remember to run dispatch-conf.

But if I run dispatch-conf it says not found. If I try to emerge it, still not found.

Quote:
root@sysresccd /root % emerge genkernel --autounmask-keep-masks

* IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

* IMPORTANT: 5 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "genkernel" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-kernel/genkernel-9999::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
/etc/portage/package.mask:
# system packages

- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.43::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.42::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.41::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.40::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.38::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.37::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.36::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.35::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.34::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.33.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.32::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.29::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.28::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.27::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.26::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.24_p2::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.24_p1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.24::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.23.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.22.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.21.2::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.20::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.16.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.16::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Sorry for so much output and I know this may not seem like a huge problem to experienced users but I am stumped and dspent the better part of the nighttrying to sort it out before coming here again. Up until now I have lived in the aptitude and rpm worlds so there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to portage for me.

Best.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the unstable branch is not a bad place to end up, it is a royal pain to use it during the install since you must mix branches by definition.

don't worry, there is are 2 easy fix for this!

The first is to run emerge -avuND world to update your install to the unstable branch. It will take a while to complete. This is less than ideal since your live CD is taking up ram. There may by other drawbacks that I don't know about.

Alliteratively, you can simply opt for the stable version of genkernel: emerge -av sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.24_p2 this should get past the blockers. If it does not, you may need to temporarily change your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable to be stable.

As a side note, I notice that you are using a 32 bit install. Is there a reason your not ruining 64 bit? Just checking to make sure this is what you intended. You can't change this after you finish installing.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
While the unstable branch is not a bad place to end up, it is a royal pain to use it during the install since you must mix branches by definition.

don't worry, there is are 2 easy fix for this!

The first is to run emerge -avuND world to update your install to the unstable branch. It will take a while to complete. This is less than ideal since your live CD is taking up ram. There may by other drawbacks that I don't know about.

Alliteratively, you can simply opt for the stable version of genkernel: emerge -av sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.24_p2 this should get past the blockers. If it does not, you may need to temporarily change your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable to be stable.

As a side note, I notice that you are using a 32 bit install. Is there a reason your not ruining 64 bit? Just checking to make sure this is what you intended. You can't change this after you finish installing.

Thanks for info. I'll give it a shot.

Good catch! Thank you. I do want to install 64bit. I assumed since I was working from the 64bit Rescue CD everything I would be doing would be in 64 bit. How do I remedy this?
Kidov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that you may have accidently downloaded 32bit stage tarball when instead you should have downloaded a 64bit one from releases/amd64/autobuilds/ directory. I hope that you are following the 64bit Gentoo Handbook and not the 32bit one.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid you have to start over from creating your file systems. Your partitions should still be unaffected, but you should remake your file systems to erase the data currently there.

The System Rescue CD is actually has both 64 bit and 32 bit kernels. You just need to make sure you boot from the 64 bit kernel. The next step is to use the amd64 stage3 and handbook, which is slightly different than the x86. Don't let the name fool you, its just a history thing. The amd64 keyword applies to all 64 bit intel and AMD processors.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I am afraid you have to start over from creating your file systems. Your partitions should still be unaffected, but you should remake your file systems to erase the data currently there.

The System Rescue CD is actually has both 64 bit and 32 bit kernels. You just need to make sure you boot from the 64 bit kernel. The next step is to use the amd64 stage3 and handbook, which is slightly different than the x86. Don't let the name fool you, its just a history thing. The amd64 keyword applies to all 64 bit intel and AMD processors.

Oh my. OK. So I am starting from scratch again. Not a problem for me because the more times I do this, the better I understand it.

I was confused and believe I made a mistake. Clearly I missed a step somewhere. I hadn't downloaded any tarball yet. I created the partitions and then followed your post successfully up until the genkernel bit. Was I suppose to return to the guide before I continued? Because I am jumping between so many guides I am getting a bit confused about the sequence of events.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post was meant as a supplement to the Gentoo handbook You should follow it and only use what I posted to replace sections in 4.a - f and augment 7.d which you should choose over 7.c for simplicity, at least for now. I also posted information to help with 8.a and 10.b or 10.c depending on your choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
My post was meant as a supplement to the Gentoo handbook You should follow it and only use what I posted to replace sections in 4.a - f and augment 7.d which you should choose over 7.c for simplicity, at least for now. I also posted information to help with 8.a and 10.b or 10.c depending on your choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. It was my mistake. I kind of felt like I was missing something during the install. Anyway I am learning lots and your assistance is invaluable. I will start again this weekend from the beginning. Strong cup of coffee and I should be good to go. Will keep you posted.

Base on your replies we seem to be in the same time zone, or you are a night owl. Haha. Are you in Japan?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm actually in the US. I just happen to be a bit of a night owl.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I am making progress slowly but surely.

I have tried numerous times to compile a kernel using genkernel.

I don't know if you want the entire output, which is really long, but the last bit with the error is:

Quote:
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.24_p2
* Running with options: --lvm --luks --menuconfig all

* ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target...

* -- End log... --

I double checked the guide and your very helpful post and get the same error everytime.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
- Continued -

USE genkernel! You want a kernel that works before you go trying to do it yourself.
Use this command:
Code:

This will bring you to a menu. Make sure you select these options or you won't get back into you install:

Quote:
Device Drivers --->
Multi-device support (RAID and LVM) --->
<*> Device mapper support
<*> Crypt target support

Quote:
File systems --->
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
# support for sysfs required (CONFIG_SYSFS)

Quote:
Cryptographic options --->
<*> SHA256 digest algorithm
<*> SHA384 and SHA512 digest algorithms
<*> Blowfish cipher algorithm
<*> Twofish cipher algorithm
<*> Serpent cipher algorithm
<*> AES cipher algorithms (x86_64)

Next is your fstab. I'll save you some guessing. It should look like this:
Code:

/dev/sda1                      /boot       ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/mapper/vg-root     /              ext4            noatime             0 1
/dev/mapper/vg-swp     none         swap            sw                   0 0
/dev/mapper/vg-var      /var          ext4             noatime            0 1
/dev/mapper/vg-home   /home       ext4            noatime            0 1

You can leave the last two lines alone. Note that the noauto is enabled on /boot so it will not be automatically mounted!

Also be sure toemerge lvm2 along with your system logger and cron.

For the boot loader, you need to these command line arguments real_root=/dev/mapper/vg-root crypt_root=/dev/sda2 dolvm ro The real_root tells genkerel where to hand the root off to once mounted, the crypt root is the location of the encrypted volume, dolvm makes genkernel assemble lvm for you, and ro means "read only" for your file system. It will get remounted read/write latter, but for boot up you want it ro.

That should be it! reboot and enjoy your new install.

It's at this point I am getting the compile error with genkernel.

Not sure if it is related but also noticed my fstab looks wacky. These are definitely not the fs's I created. I did boot as ext2 and everything ext4.

Quote:
# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will edit the fstab later according to the handbook. That one is the prepackaged one that ships with the stage3, and is completely invalid.

As for genkernel, you should probably start a new thread. Be sure to include the relevant logs and emerge --info, preferably using a pastbin site.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
You will edit the fstab later according to the handbook. That one is the prepackaged one that ships with the stage3, and is completely invalid.

As for genkernel, you should probably start a new thread. Be sure to include the relevant logs and emerge --info, preferably using a pastbin site.

Will do. Thanks.

Should I delete the previous comment for the sake of clarity on this thread?

I am also curious, I am doing this on a laptop and prefer to not have it running all of the time. It has been up for a week now. If I shutdown and want to pick up my install where I left off is it as simple as mounting the encrypted partition and then chrooting?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Will do. Thanks.

I am also curious, I am doing this on a laptop and prefer to not have it running all of the time. It has been up for a week now. If I shutdown and want to pick up my install where I left off is it as simple as mounting the encrypted partition and then chrooting?

You may as well leave the posts since deleting would be just as confusing since there would be other comments referring to something that does not exist.

And yes you can simply shutdown your laptop and then pick up right where you left off. The only trick is you need to remember to mount the /proc stuff as well or you will get funny errors.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
- Continued -

Use this command:
Code:

This will bring you to a menu. Make sure you select these options or you won't get back into you install:

Quote:
Device Drivers --->
Multi-device support (RAID and LVM) --->
<*> Device mapper support
<*> Crypt target support

Quote:
File systems --->
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
# support for sysfs required (CONFIG_SYSFS)

Quote:
Cryptographic options --->
<*> SHA256 digest algorithm
<*> SHA384 and SHA512 digest algorithms
<*> Blowfish cipher algorithm
<*> Twofish cipher algorithm
<*> Serpent cipher algorithm
<*> AES cipher algorithms (x86_64)

Next is your fstab. I'll save you some guessing. It should look like this:
Code:

/dev/sda1                      /boot       ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/mapper/vg-root     /              ext4            noatime             0 1
/dev/mapper/vg-swp     none         swap            sw                   0 0
/dev/mapper/vg-var      /var          ext4             noatime            0 1
/dev/mapper/vg-home   /home       ext4            noatime            0 1

You can leave the last two lines alone. Note that the noauto is enabled on /boot so it will not be automatically mounted!

Also be sure toemerge lvm2 along with your system logger and cron.

For the boot loader, you need to these command line arguments real_root=/dev/mapper/vg-root crypt_root=/dev/sda2 dolvm ro The real_root tells genkerel where to hand the root off to once mounted, the crypt root is the location of the encrypted volume, dolvm makes genkernel assemble lvm for you, and ro means "read only" for your file system. It will get remounted read/write latter, but for boot up you want it ro.

That should be it! reboot and enjoy your new install.

It's at this point I am getting the compile error with genkernel.

Not sure if it is related but also noticed my fstab looks wacky. These are definitely not the fs's I created. I did boot as ext2 and everything ext4.

Quote:
# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0

Just in case someone else runs into this compile problem with genkernel the solution can be found here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934434-start-0.html

It is a bug with the fibre channel modules. If they are turned off the kernel will successfully compile.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Budoka wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Will do. Thanks.

You may as well leave the posts since deleting would be just as confusing since there would be other comments referring to something that does not exist.

And yes you can simply shutdown your laptop and then pick up right where you left off. The only trick is you need to remember to mount the /proc stuff as well or you will get funny errors.

Thanks again. My apologies, I am not sure at what point I should break off questions to a new thread.

OK. So I am a bit lost now.

I was able to follow the guide and your supplemental posts to the point where I am suppose to reboot.

When I reboot GRUB just hangs. I got a little bit confused in the guide at the GRUB section so haven't any doubt that it is due to something I did or didn't do.

But before I can backtrack and sort it out I am trying to pick up my install where I left off. I am thoroughly confused so please bear with me.
(1)
I rebooted from the sysrescue cd.

I did the modprobe for the cyphers.

Then I opened the encrypted volume using
Code:
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda7 root
(My encrypted volume is on sda7 not sda2 and my boot is on sda6)

However, when I try to mount anything,

Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/mapper/vg-root /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/var /mnt/gentoo/home /mnt/gentoo/boot # I think this is valid...
mount /dev/mapper/vg-var /mnt/gentoo/var
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/var/tmp
chmod 1777 /mnt/gentoo/var/tmp
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

I get does not exist errors.

I am sorry if this is suppose to be something simple but I just can't figure out how to pick up where I left off.

(2)

Once I am able to pick up from where I left off with my install should I ask my grub questions here or in a separate thread?

Just as a side note, I always do searches before posting questions to see if I can solve stuff on my own but sometimes just get stuck.

Thank you for your patience.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. right. You need to activate the logical volumes first, and you don't need to mkdir any more -- it stands for "make directory" They already exist. Same with chmod. It means change mode and you already changed the mode.

You need to use vgscan --mknodes to basically look for the volumes and lvchange -aly vg/root to set up the lvm. I think that is all you need to do. Its all my initramfs does anyway.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Ahh. right. You need to activate the logical volumes first, and you don't need to mkdir any more -- it stands for "make directory" They already exist. Same with chmod. It means change mode and you already changed the mode.

You need to use vgscan --mknodes to basically look for the volumes and lvchange -aly vg/root to set up the lvm. I think that is all you need to do. Its all my initramfs does anyway.

Onc again thank you for your patience and assistance. I should probably walk away from my box for a bit to clear my head but can't seem to do so. Drives me nuts when stuff doesn't work out. Haha.

I ran those commands and they worked fine. But what am I doing after that? chrooting? Mounting something? I am not clear about where I am picking up in terms of the guide. It seems like any command I use involving the file system I still get "...
does not exist..." errors.

As a side note, Since I borked my grub/mbr I can't boot into my Windoze partition. Is there a quick fix for that while I sort out my install problems?

Once again, my apologies. I kmnow this is suppose to be simple but...
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Something strange is going on. When I
Code:
ls /dev/vg
only root is showing up.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adding your other partitions using lvchange -aly and replace vg/root with vg/<thing>

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have been struggling the past week trying to get my install to boot. I am prertty sure I am botching my grub but it may also be related to the fact that I am using an encrypted volume. I did check the grub posts before returning to this thread but couldn't find anything that was helpful.

I followed your instructions and the guide up until the point I need to reboot. I can successfully boot into my win partition but when I try to boot into Gentoo I get the following error:

Code:
Booting Gentoo Linux 86_64-3.4.9-gentoo
root (hd0,6)
Filesystem Type unknown, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-86_64-3.4.9-gentoo real_root=/dev/mapper/vg-root crypt_root=/dev/sda7 dolvm ro
Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

This is my grub.conf:
Code:
# This is a sample grub.conf for use with Genkernel, per the Gentoo handbook
# http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap2
# If you are not using Genkernel and you need help creating this file, you
# should consult the handbook. Alternatively, consult the grub.conf.sample that
# is included with the Grub documentation.

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,5)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#title Gentoo Linux 2.6.24-r5
#root (hd0,0)
#kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3
#initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

title Gentoo Linux 86_64-3.4.9-gentoo
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-86_64-3.4.9-gentoo real_root=/dev/mapper/vg-root crypt_root=/dev/sda7 dolvm ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.4.9-gentoo

# The next four lines are only if you dualboot with a Windows system.
# In this case, Windows is hosted on /dev/sda1.
title Windows 7
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

# vim:ft=conf:

My partition looks like this:

Code:
[sda1            ] [ntfs       ] [SYSTEM           ] [   100.00 MB] [  8] [  1]
[sda2            ] [ntfs       ] [<unknown>        ] [   101.00 GB] [  8] [  2]
[sda4            ] [ntfs       ] [SAMSUNG_REC      ] [    21.37 GB] [  8] [  4]
[sda5            ] [ntfs       ] [<unknown>        ] [     9.04 GB] [  8] [  5]
[sda6            ] [ext2       ] [<unknown>        ] [   200.00 MB] [  8] [  6]
[sda7            ] [crypto_LUKS] [<unknown>        ] [   799.80 GB] [  8] [  7]

sda6 is my boot partition and sda7 is my Luks volume.

So as I understand it that would make my boot hd0,5 and my gentoo hd0,6.

Any ideas where I am running afoul? Is this a grub problem or somethinbg to do with the fact I am encrypting the volume?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using grub when the changed to grub2, so its been a long time.

I think that you need root (hd0,7) instead of (hd0,6). I seem to recall some weirdness in the disk labelling.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: