Republicans show how out of touch they are
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Republicans show how out of touch they are Reply with quote

Quote:
Maine state Senate candidate Colleen Lachowicz is not a witch.

She is, however, an orc assassination rogue with a potty mouth — and the Maine Republican Party believes that disqualifies her from public office.

In an unusual press release issued Thursday, the Maine GOP attacked Lachowicz for a “bizarre double life” in which she’s a devotee of the hugely popular online role-playing game World of Warcraft. In the game, she’s “Santiaga,” an "orc assassination rogue" with green skin, fangs, a Mohawk and pointy ears.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82043.html
http://www.colleensworld.com/
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lot less "out of touch" than the supposedly tolerant and liberal Democrats persecuting a candidate for having Wicca as her religion. Hypocrites!

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good. I see the U.S.S. Sugar has left dry dock. That was a rough battle last night.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
This is a lot less "out of touch" than the supposedly tolerant and liberal Democrats persecuting a candidate for having Wicca as her religion. Hypocrites!

oh yes.

Wicca is a pop culture phenomenon, just like WOW
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

oh yes.

Wicca is a pop culture phenomenon, just like WOW

It is in fact something of a pop culture phenomenon, as is the comeback of druidic / pagan religions in general. However, it is in fact a religion. That's why persecuting someone for it is wrong.

I remember when I was in the Army noticing that there was a senior officer (a Colonel) in the Chaplains Corp who was Wiccan. Even our military takes it seriously, but not Democrats, it would seem.

To the lemming-like mob of Democrats, it is okay to publicly denigrate somebody for being a "Witch", like some kind of superstitious 15th century mob. "Liberal Fascism" anyone?

Making fun of somebody for being a Level 62 World of Warcraft character, on the other hand, is fair game.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

what are you referring to?
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

It is in fact something of a pop culture phenomenon, as is the comeback of druidic / pagan religions in general. However, it is in fact a religion. That's why persecuting someone for it is wrong.

I remember when I was in the Army noticing that there was a senior officer (a Colonel) in the Chaplains Corp who was Wiccan. Even our military takes it seriously, but not Democrats, it would seem.

To the lemming-like mob of Democrats, it is okay to publicly denigrate somebody for being a "Witch", like some kind of superstitious 15th century mob. "Liberal Fascism" anyone?

Making fun of somebody for being a Level 62 World of Warcraft character, on the other hand, is fair game.

estimates of wicca adherants is around 800,000 worldwide. Numbers of WOW subscribers peaked at 12 million.

Search volume average is ten times that of wicca.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

If it weren't for double standards, the left would have no standards at all.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

estimates of wicca adherants is around 800,000 worldwide. Numbers of WOW subscribers peaked at 12 million.

Search volume average is ten times that of wicca.

Yeah? And how many of that 12 million are Level 62 characters? Do you have any idea how much investment of your personal time is required to get to such levels? That behavior is actually now considered an addiction. It's not healthy, and it is worthy of ridicule and with respect to WoW in particular, because of it's immersive, alternate-reality-escapism, it has been an subject of ridicule in popular culture for years.

What's not worthy of ridicule in a free country is someone's spiritual beliefs, which are Constitutionally protected to the extent they don't interfere with the rights of others.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Yeah? And how many of that 12 million are Level 62 characters? Do you have any idea how much investment of your personal time is required to get to such levels? That behavior is actually now considered an addiction. It's not healthy, and it is worthy of ridicule and with respect to WoW in particular, because of it's immersive, alternate-reality-escapism, it has been an subject of ridicule in popular culture for years.

What's not worthy of ridicule in a free country is someone's spiritual beliefs, which are Constitutionally protected to the extent they don't interfere with the rights of others.

I think you've forgotten the point your trying to defend.

Maybe you might like another shot at it?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you couldn't think of a real argument, Troll, so you blurted out the first thing that came to mind.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I think you couldn't think of a real argument, Troll, so you blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

it's better than forgetting what your point was.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I made my point very clearly. If you don't understand it, the problem's on your end. You're trolling.

&>/dev/null
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I made my point very clearly. If you don't understand it, the problem's on your end. You're trolling.

&>/dev/null

*facepalm*
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

actually, getting to level 62 is easy as pie. you'd easily get that if you spent an hour or two each week and played for a while. that has nothing to do with an addiction. the kind of involvement you'd have invested when you do have a solid addiction would lead to an account with 10-20 level 85s and (by now) one to three level 90s.

i don't see why either of them should get in trouble. one is just a game, the other is just some odd random faith. actually it would do most polytards a world of good to play some video games now and then. at least that way they'd be far less out of touch with the rest of the planet.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

what are you referring to?

Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

actually, getting to level 62 is easy as pie. you'd easily get that if you spent an hour or two each week and played for a while. that has nothing to do with an addiction. the kind of involvement you'd have invested when you do have a solid addiction would lead to an account with 10-20 level 85s and (by now) one to three level 90s.

i don't see why either of them should get in trouble. one is just a game, the other is just some odd random faith. actually it would do most polytards a world of good to play some video games now and then. at least that way they'd be far less out of touch with the rest of the planet.

Oh. My bad. I thought it took many hours to get a character to a high level like that. I still say it's more justifiable and acceptable to ridicule a political candidate for being a serious World of Warcraft player than for their religious beliefs. But it was a tu quoque argument anyway, so I won't go further with it. People really shouldn't be ridiculed for either.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: