Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is sugar?

I'm beginning to get a little worried.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mcgruff class starship has the deflector shields to handle this kind of damage. The sugar class vessel is currently in dry dock for repairs. Something about a warp core breach.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Captain Sugar is taking a break in the holodeck with some green wimmin. The even greener cadets on duty on the bridge are quite capable of handling this feeble Romnulan incursion into the neutral zone on their own. Makes a good training exercise.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
He is in fact doing OK but you won't hear that on Fox News.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

@ Old School, don't you just love Euros lecturing us about "the truth" in American elections? As if our constant bombardment of information nationally is nothing compared to the wisdom they glean from a few lefty blogs. :lol:
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAIFSONTOOF
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
sugar wrote:
because science affects policy, eg energy, agriculture, fisheries and ocean health, public health and biosecurity, food supply issues, natural resource policies etc.

Good reasons to hear scientists debate science. I'm still waiting for a reason to hear politicians debate science.

Politicians control a lot of the money used for scientific research.

Although I normally ignore sugar's political posts, I lean toward his view on this particular point.

The thing is, these guys aren't any less educated than I am, and they've got double my age going for them (and much more if you discount childhood).
If I understand many science-related issues well enough to form a half-way informed opinion, why shouldn't they?

Debating science-related policy seems reasonable to me. (Ditto for technology, in case you don't always include that when talking about science.)

*edit* Oh, and I thought Romney kicked Obama's ass in the debate, although I didn't watch the very end. (Not that it matters. I'm voting third party. Both of those guys are wankers in my opinion.)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage after one day:

NBC nightly news actually reported on the media coverage: everybody says Obama got throat-fucked; Obama supporters are disappointed and bewildered. They showed Chris Matthews losing his mind. They quoted a woman at an Obama campaign rally saying, "I didn't understand what was going on. Maybe he's dealing with a crisis in the Middle East or something." They showed a woman from their own "independent panel" saying she saw a new side of Romney and this had changed her mind about him. They also said the Obama campaign is reacting by claiming Romney was "not being honest" (like they are, one supposes).

Associated Press, on the other hand, took the approach of providing bland coverage, trying to make it a 3rd-page issue. Their article did not pass judgment, allowed one to assume it was an even match, and portrayed it as something boring which should not be paid attention to.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Coverage after one day:

NBC nightly news actually reported on the media coverage: everybody says Obama got throat-fucked; Obama supporters are disappointed and bewildered. They showed Chris Matthews losing his mind. They quoted a woman at an Obama campaign rally saying, "I didn't understand what was going on. Maybe he's dealing with a crisis in the Middle East or something." They showed a woman from their own "independent panel" saying she saw a new side of Romney and this had changed her mind about him. They also said the Obama campaign is reacting by claiming Romney was "not being honest" (like they are, one supposes).

Associated Press, on the other hand, took the approach of providing bland coverage, trying to make it a 3rd-page issue. Their article did not pass judgment, allowed one to assume it was an even match, and portrayed it as something boring which should not be paid attention to.
I wonder if this is going to be a herp or derp election year. So far it's looking like a derp year.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 dumb things Romney said during the debate
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Where is sugar?

I'm beginning to get a little worried.

I'm going onto a different plan with my ISP, which required a modem change. They said they would have it all changed over by 6pm last night, so I plugged it in and waited all evening for the internet to connect. I got an email from them in the morning saying that the changeover at the exchange now wouldn't be happening until the 9th. Next Tuesday!

So, yeah, I had limited Internet last night.

I don't know how things work in other place, but the new plan is $100 a month ($75USD I think), I get unlimited adsl data, and I can pay my ISP for my line phone line rental, and do everything over VoIP, and I can keep the same land line number. It's all part local loop unbundling?

Currently I pay $60 for unlimited data, but an extra $60 for my landline rental.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
A mcgruff class starship has the deflector shields to handle this kind of damage. The sugar class vessel is currently in dry dock for repairs. Something about a warp core breach.

It's not a "deflector shield"; it's a "reality distortion field". :lol:

Sugar doesn't really believe most of the shit he says; he's just a troll. mcgruff is a genuine True Believe, so thoroughly marinated in the left-wing Kool Aid that he should change his forum ID to "Purple Pickle".

Obama's big financial plan last campaign was to add $800 billion in new spending, with no idea how to pay for it. When finally pressed by an apologetic, kow-towing press as to how he was going to pay for it without raising taxes or the deficit, he said he was going to cut spending in other areas. You want "lies"? That was a lie. You want "math"? We know it's a lie, because Bush's roughly $200 to $500 billion deficit turned into a $1 trillion - $1.3 trillion deficit under Obama.

Then he said he was going to use "pay as you go" and "cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term". Here we are, four years later, still spending a trillion dollars a year we don't have. Every year, he publishes a new budget showing the deficit going down "in the future". He never sticks to his budget, and one year he didn't even manage to get one done.

He also has been thoroughly dishonest about Obamacare, from claiming it won't raise taxes to claiming it won't increase the deficit, to claiming it will reduce health care costs -- all of which we now know to have been falsehoods.

Obama should avoid using the words "math" and "dishonesty" when it comes to the country's finances, because his numbers have NEVER added up. They've never even come anywhere close.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chronicles of Mitt: Oct 4, 2012

Quote:
Sadly, I was not able to last the entire debate without firing someone. I believe I made it about half of the way, which would be a substantial improvement from my practice sessions, before mentioning to the moderator unit that I would be firing him. I also mentioned that I would be firing Big Bird, who is a beloved children's character on television, and in fact his entire network.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1140109/-The-Chronicles-of-Mitt-Oct-4-2012
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veteran PBS Newsman Jim Lerher Arrested

Quote:
Long-time PBS anchor Jim Lerher was arrested today after being connected with an inflammatory broadcast which has incited verbal violence and unrest throughout the United States and Europe.

The broadcast, which appeared unexpectedly over many US television stations, on the surface looks to be a debate between US president Barack Obama and an unnamed other person, possibly the president's debate coach John Kerry. However, the incendiary and invidious intent of the presentation soon makes itself obvious.

Mr. Lerher, who appears in the role of moderator, continually allows the opponent to berate and insult the president by citing the latter's record as chief executive as well as quoting his words directly. Mr. Lerher also repeatedly fails to stop the opponent from going over his allotted 30% of speaking time. At one point, Mr. Lerher threatens the president's life directly, telling him “you’re way over the two minutes.”

The telecast, while likely a satire or practical joke of some sort, upset and enraged many surprised, important, elite viewers both in the US and abroad. According to Reuters, angry demonstrations featuring consternation and uneasiness broke out in many European capitals:
Reuters wrote:
President Barack Obama's lackluster performance in the first U.S. election debate provoked uneasiness in European capitals on Thursday, where hopes are mostly, if unofficially, pinned on his securing a second term.

In Europe, where leaders and finance officials have worked closely with the Obama administration over the past 2-1/2 years trying to resolve the euro area debt crisis, there was particular consternation at Romney's singling out of deficit-ridden Spain as a poorly administered economy.

"Romney is making analogies that aren't based on reality," Foreign Affairs Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo told reporters after a meeting of his centre-right party.

Back in the states, S.W.A.T. teams are on call in many cities after former New York Times Executive Editor Bill Keller give Lerher's performance a D grade and called him “road kill” in his Twitter analysis of the debate. Officials believe that the potential for rhetorical mayhem is high after Liberal NYU journalism professor and media critic Jay Rosen also called out Lehrer on Twitter, saying, “Romney took strong advantage of a weak moderator.”

Authorities, seizing on the precedent established in the arrest of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula last month for making the anti-Islam film which incited violence in many normally peaceful foreign capitals, have attributed blame to Mr. Lerher for the disruptions his unauthorized broadcast have caused. Constitutional scholars in New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority noted if something someone says causes crime, such as vandalism and denounciation of important politicians like MTA executives, then the easiest way to deal with that problem is to eliminate the root cause, the speech that caused it. "Because," said one city official, "we have more important things to do than chase down every petty crime that happens in our jurisdiction. Say bud, how big is that soda you're drinking?"

Citing the well-known "fighting words" exception to the First Amendment, Obama Administration figures claim the arrest of Mr. Lerher is entirely justified because "his performance makes us want to fight!" Attorney General Eric Holder contends he is sure the Supreme Court will uphold Mr. Lerher's conviction as "the four smart justices are all for it and Roberts will be too once he is told he will not be invited to any more dinner parties if he votes against it."

Mr. Lerher is being held incommunicado at some undisclosed location for "his own safety" as one official put it. Requests for legal counsel have so far been denied. "There are a lot of amendments that just get in the government's way of solving problems", noted excellent NY Times columnist Tom Friedman. "That's why the Chinese model is superior to ours."

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chair to Pinch Hit for President in Second Debate

Quote:
In a bold and strikingly unconventional move, presidential advisor David Axelrod announced today that for Presidential Debate #2 the well-known Presidential Chair will step in for the actual president, B. Hussein Obama.

"Let's face it," Axelrod told the press at a briefing today, "In a presidential campaign sometimes you have to make hard decisions, and I've made one that the president fully supports. Odds are that the Chair will do a better job debating than Barack is capable of, particularly since it actually has more management experience than the president does."

Axelrod went on to explain that the chair was purchased second hand from a Fortune 500 company's CEO, and was frequently sat upon by the CEO and his visiting fellow corporation leaders.

"We may even use the Chair to pinch hit for Biden," Axelrod stated for the record. "Ryan may have that stupid math thing going on, but who knows how many company controllers and CFOs have sat in this chair over the years? He can't compete with that kind of financial knowledge."

McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
:lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed those.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Test of the System
At this point two things are clear about the debate: 1. Romney won the night by being confident and aggressive while Obama was hesitant and passive 2. Romney said many things that simply weren’t true — and not just about budget math, which he might be able to obfuscate (although he shouldn’t get away with it). These ranged from the just plain dishonest assertion that he has a plan to cover preexisting conditions, to his completely false claims about government energy loans.

The question now is whether the revelation that he was making stuff up matters. Is our system shallow enough — and in particular, are our media so much into appearances rather than reality — that it’s OK to lie to win an argument, with no further consequences?

Time will tell.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/?8dpc
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama and Romney: A “debate” without real differences
The first debate of the US presidential election campaign laid bare the unbridgeable gulf between the corporate-controlled political system and the concerns of the overwhelming majority of the American people.
The United States is in the grip of the worst social crisis since the Great Depression of the 1930s, with record levels of long-term unemployment, record levels of hunger and homelessness, mass layoffs of workers in the public schools and other essential services, deteriorating public infrastructure and deepening poverty and social misery.
Aside from two sentences from Romney—in the course of proposing measures that would make the crisis even worse for working people—there was no reference to this social reality in 90 minutes of debate. The words “poverty” and “unemployment” never crossed Obama’s lips. Neither candidate offered any proposals to alleviate mass suffering, put the unemployed to work or rebuild public services devastated by budget cuts.
On the contrary, more than four years into an economic crisis brought on by the greatest financial collapse of the profit system since the 1930s, both candidates pledged their loyalty to Wall Street and hailed capitalism as the greatest boon to mankind.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/oct2012/deba-o04.shtml
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha Obama Asks Father Why He Was Acting Like Such A Pussy During Debate

Quote:
Following last night’s nationally televised presidential debate, President Barack Obama’s 11-year-old daughter Sasha reportedly asked her father why he was “acting like such a goddamned pussy up there.” “Daddy, how come you were being such a little bitch?” asked the sixth-grader, who told the president she was “genuinely worried” that maybe somebody had “cut Daddy’s balls off” right before he took the stage. “What happened, Dad? Were you on your period or something? Maybe the next time you’re in front of the entire country for an hour and a half you should try not letting another man spank you on the ass like that.” Sources added that Obama’s youngest daughter then offered to help the president go “look for [his] dick, because apparently it’s gone missing.”

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dems Don't Know What Hit 'Em

Quote:
I was particularly satisfied last night, folks, because do you realize what happened? Substance was the big winner. Not style. Not emotion. Substance. Ideas. I have been longing for ideas, ideology, whatever you want to say. Ideas in this campaign. Last night we got it. People on the left are running around saying, "Why wasn't Obama prepared? Why didn't he show up prepared?" You see, that, too, is very illustrative. It assumes that Obama was ever prepared for this. He wasn't. Just as Romney and conservatives are a collection of caricatures which are totally inaccurate, so is Obama. Messiah, brilliant, postpartisan, postracial, smartest guy that's ever run for office, we never had anybody like this. The guy's a community organizer, an agitator. He had no experience.

sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Dems Don't Know What Hit 'Em

Quote:
I was particularly satisfied last night, folks, because do you realize what happened? Substance was the big winner. Not style. Not emotion. Substance. Ideas. I have been longing for ideas, ideology, whatever you want to say. Ideas in this campaign. Last night we got it. People on the left are running around saying, "Why wasn't Obama prepared? Why didn't he show up prepared?" You see, that, too, is very illustrative. It assumes that Obama was ever prepared for this. He wasn't. Just as Romney and conservatives are a collection of caricatures which are totally inaccurate, so is Obama. Messiah, brilliant, postpartisan, postracial, smartest guy that's ever run for office, we never had anybody like this. The guy's a community organizer, an agitator. He had no experience.

rush and the onion are probably the best political satire there is.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
I disagree wrt The Onion, but spot on wrt Rush.

Quote:
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:

They are more truthful than your Talking points memo, DailyKOS, and Krugman.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Obama rattled by developing donor scandal story?

Quote:
President Obama's reelection campaign, rattled by his Wednesday night debate performance, could be in for even worse news. According to knowledgeable sources, a national magazine and a national web site are preparing a blockbuster donor scandal story.

Sources told Secrets that the Obama campaign has been trying to block the story. But a key source said it plans to publish the story Friday or, more likely, Monday.

According to the sources, a taxpayer watchdog group conducted a nine-month investigation into presidential and congressional fundraising and has uncovered thousands of cases of credit card solicitations and donations to Obama and Capitol Hill, allegedly from unsecure accounts, and many from overseas. That might be a violation of federal election laws.

The Obama campaign has received hundreds of millions in small dollar donations, many via credit card donations through their website. On Thursday, the campaign announced a record September donor haul of $150 million.

At the end of the 2008 presidential campaign, the Obama-Biden effort was hit with a similar scandal. At the time, the Washington Post reported that the Obama campaign let donors use "largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity."

McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
The question now is whether the revelation that he was making stuff up matters. Is our system shallow enough — and in particular, are our media so much into appearances rather than reality — that it’s OK to lie to win an argument, with no further consequences?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/?8dpc

That's what I find so perplexing about the "Romney won!" coverage. Sure he was more aggressive in manner and Obama didn't really seem interested in locking horns for a "only one of us gets out of here alive" match up, but if you stopped to listen to what they were actually saying... Romney is not going to win anything simply by swaggering around acting like he knows what he's doing. He needs real ideas and real policies, not lies and half-truths.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: