Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Debate: Obama vs Romney
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Debate: Obama vs Romney Reply with quote

Topic: Domestic policy
Date: October 3, 9:00 pm EST
Location: Denver, Colorado
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16103
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Debate: Obama vs Romney Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Topic: Domestic policy
I'll be curious to hear if the private sector is still dreamy.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's the science issue debate?
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
When's the science issue debate?

Why in the name of fuck would you want to hear politicians debate science? Politicians only have two things to debate: how they are going to fuck foreigners, and how they are going to fuck you.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

Three things: "... and how they are going to make half the population like it and ask for more."
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
When's the science issue debate?

Who do you think knows more about science? The guy with the Harvard law degree and a couple years of experience as a social worker, or the guy with the Harvard law degree, Harvard MBA, and about 25 years of actual experience in industry?

Tough call. :roll: :
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wcg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama vs Romney vs ?
_________________
TIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This debate will be available to everyone because YouTube is going to stream it. Source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
sugar wrote:
When's the science issue debate?

Why in the name of fuck would you want to hear politicians debate science?


because science affects policy, eg energy, agriculture, fisheries and ocean health, public health and biosecurity, food supply issues, natural resource policies etc.

These are the important issues that don't have their own forum.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
because science affects policy, eg energy, agriculture, fisheries and ocean health, public health and biosecurity, food supply issues, natural resource policies etc.

Good reasons to hear scientists debate science. I'm still waiting for a reason to hear politicians debate science.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
sugar wrote:
because science affects policy, eg energy, agriculture, fisheries and ocean health, public health and biosecurity, food supply issues, natural resource policies etc.

Good reasons to hear scientists debate science. I'm still waiting for a reason to hear politicians debate science.


Politicians control a lot of the money used for scientific research.
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are too young to remember the real debates that were run by the League of Women Voters, not these travesties that are controlled by the two Parties, via a Congressional Committee.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Politicians control a lot of the money used for scientific research.

They do indeed, but they also control a lot of the money used for virtually anything you care to name: it doesn't make them expert--or even intelligible--on any particular subject. Case in point.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16103
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off [split] Et tu quoque, Soggy Cabbage?.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
Politicians control a lot of the money used for scientific research.

They do indeed, but they also control a lot of the money used for virtually anything you care to name: it doesn't make them expert--or even intelligible--on any particular subject. Case in point.

What does "expert" or "intelligible" have to do with the question? The fact is that the person elected president will have a large degree of power to influence scientific issues - energy policy (nuclear policy, development of fusion, global warming, electric vehicles), space exploration (manned vs unmanned, solar system exploration versus telescopes), medical science (stem cell research, cloning), etc. Aren't those things that they should be discussing in a public forum?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
What does "expert" or "intelligible" have to do with the question? The fact is that the person elected president will have a large degree of power to influence scientific issues - energy policy (nuclear policy, development of fusion, global warming, electric vehicles), space exploration (manned vs unmanned, solar system exploration versus telescopes), medical science (stem cell research, cloning), etc. Aren't those things that they should be discussing in a public forum?

Absolutely not. I can see it now...

Quote:
Anderson Cooper: Mr President, you will be representing the side of manned space exploration. Governor Romney, you will be representing the side of unmanned exploration. Mr President, your opening statement, please.

Obama: Herp.

Cooper: And Governor Romney, your response?

Romney: Derp.

_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better debate : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19810317
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
richk449 wrote:
What does "expert" or "intelligible" have to do with the question? The fact is that the person elected president will have a large degree of power to influence scientific issues - energy policy (nuclear policy, development of fusion, global warming, electric vehicles), space exploration (manned vs unmanned, solar system exploration versus telescopes), medical science (stem cell research, cloning), etc. Aren't those things that they should be discussing in a public forum?

Absolutely not. I can see it now...

Quote:
Anderson Cooper: Mr President, you will be representing the side of manned space exploration. Governor Romney, you will be representing the side of unmanned exploration. Mr President, your opening statement, please.

Obama: Herp.

Cooper: And Governor Romney, your response?

Romney: Derp.


I'm sure their respective offices' can come up with a suitable positions on several scientific issues.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1221
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama would continue to go for green energy (that's failed) while Romney would probably go for that hypersonic aircraft (that crashed).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The President can ask for all the money he wants, but Congress controls the money.

Obama talked a lot of shit about the Scyents, and that's pretty much what he delivered - Jack Shit. His most significant act was to kill manned space flight.

Go back to the debates of 2007 and listen to all the shit Obama SAYS he's gonna do, then compare it to reality.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The President can ask for all the money he wants, but Congress controls the money.

Obama talked a lot of shit about the Scyents, and that's pretty much what he delivered - Jack Shit. His most significant act was to kill manned space flight.

Go back to the debates of 2007 and listen to all the shit Obama SAYS he's gonna do, then compare it to reality.


whatever. Where's the science debate?
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
whatever.


Moon Unit Zappa did a song with her father about people like that.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
sugar wrote:
whatever.


Moon Unit Zappa did a song with her father about people like that.


about people who are trying to stay on topic?
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
sugar wrote:
because science affects policy, eg energy, agriculture, fisheries and ocean health, public health and biosecurity, food supply issues, natural resource policies etc.

Good reasons to hear scientists debate science. I'm still waiting for a reason to hear politicians debate science.


indeed. but both candidates should know basic science as their decisions affect a lot of science.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum