Update one specific package in gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex73782
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Update one specific package in gentoo Reply with quote

Hi,

I can imagine this question has been asked before, but I did not find any results using the search function in this forum. I want to update only the package

cmake

in gentoo to a newer, the newest or a specific version number. How can I do this? I tried

emerge-webrsync
emerge cmake

but this only installed the version already on the system.

Thanks for any hints,

Alex
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest cmake version in portage is cmake-2.8.9.
If you want a newer one you'll have to find it in an overlay or compile it from newest available source.
Not recommended.
The command to emerge a specific version is
Code:

emerge =<packagename-version>.

Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
alex73782
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

your suggestion does not seem to work. I tried the following
Code:

emerge =cmake-2.8.9

and got an error
Code:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=dev-util/cmake-2.8.9".

Without the '='-sign it says that cmake-2.8.9 i not a valid package atom.

So again, how do I install cmake 2.8 or higher on gentoo; only cmake, only version 2.8 or higher.

Thanks
Alex
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that you should include the -1 option to avoid adding the file to your world file. That can cause complications.

The highest available in portage is 2.8.9. I can't find a higher version in the overlays either. A quick look at the home page makes me think it is the latest release.

You can see the available versions using emerge -s cmake and install your desired version using emerge -1 =cmake-<version> where <version> is the one you want.

Also I have found it better to search the forum using Google like this: site:https://forums.gentoo.org <search key>
Its a handy trick.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
alex73782
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank you for your quick answer, but I get the same error as above when trying to do
Code:

emerge -1 =cmake-2.8.9

Anything missing?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its odd. cmake is stable and according to http://packages.gentoo.org only cmake 2.8.9 is available. What is the output of emerge -pv cmake? I would be interesting to see what you have installed. When was the last time you synced?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
alex73782
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the output of

Code:

emerge -pv cmake

is

Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies |!!! Error loading '/var/cache/edb/vdb_blockers.pickle': Global and instance pickles are not supported.
... done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-util/cmake-2.6.4-r2  USE="vim-syntax -emacs -python3 -qt4" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

The used gentoo base might be an older one, but this is a stable version and NOTHING ELSE must be changed. ONLY cmake to a version>2.8 (does not need to be the latest and greatest, just better than 2.8).

Thanks
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then we have a problem. dev-util/cmake-2.6.4-r2 is not in portage so I assume you have set this box up in the past and left it alone for a very long time. Don't worry about updating it. Even if you wanted to update it at this point, you can't do it easily. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. I am sure you have your reasons.

A single package can be updated to the most recent version using the -u option like so: emerge -u cmake That should also pull in any deps if needed, but if you are really serous you can add the --no-deps option, although this could break your system.

What I don't get is that a recent --sync should have left cmake-2.8.9 as you only version available. Did your sync complete successfully? On a side not, which version of portage are you running?

krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even it's not related to the problem now, the -1 suggest was a bad one

-1 won't prevent cmake-version from getting pickup by depclean
-1 won't tell emerge to not use other versions, upgrade or downgrade

So if you need a specific version of a package, make sure you don't use -1 and that version specific is added to your world file, else you'll get surprise soon or later.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you sync-ed recently? cmake-2.8.9 was compiled on my system on 28/9/12, so would have been put in the tree recently. Your system is re-installing 2.6.4-r2, which is no longer in my tree.

Run
Code:
emerge --sync

then try again with
Code:
emerge -av -1 =cmake-2.8.9

Of course, with the tree synced, you don't need to specify the version number, as 2.8.9 is the current version. Out of interest, cmake is not a @selected dependency on my system, it is pulled in by a long list of packages (mostly kde based), so using the -1 option in this case is probably worthwhile (assuming it has already been installed as a dependency of something else) unless you want the system to remain at this version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: