What can GMA 3150, atom D425, NM10 do?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: What can GMA 3150, atom D425, NM10 do? Reply with quote

Very old hardware, but I was wondering how much can they take under Linux when it comes to video playback.

So --

CPU Atom D425
Chipset NM10 with GMA 3150 graphics.

So what's the maximum resolution they can take? 720p (using xv)?
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be CPU limited. You'll be able to do low bitrate mpeg4 (xvid or ffmpeg4) at 720p, but will not be able to do h.264 at 720p.

I believe the D425 is dual core with hyperthreading? Maybe you'll be able to handle more than that with multithreading. When I still used my nm10 netbook, multithreaded decoding wasn't supported in mplayer.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
It's going to be CPU limited. You'll be able to do low bitrate mpeg4 (xvid or ffmpeg4) at 720p, but will not be able to do h.264 at 720p.

I believe the D425 is dual core with hyperthreading? Maybe you'll be able to handle more than that with multithreading. When I still used my nm10 netbook, multithreaded decoding wasn't supported in mplayer.

Yeah, it has HT. So it maybe at most 25% faster (actually in some cases, it was twice as fast, if the believe the benchmarks).
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, if you have that netbook, I'll be glad if you try and report.

Thanks.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the processor has HT, you can play 720p video in h264 format, provided the bitrate isn't too high. The "scene" uses 3MBit/s for 720p, the processor can handle that. Just make sure the player is configured to use two threads for video decoding (mplayer2 does it automatically, for mplayer use '-lavdopts threads=2', no idea about other players, they possibly do it automatically too).
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, were you using an x86 OS?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Atom (N270) is 32bit, so yes, an x86 OS. Your D425 is 64bit, so you could make use of that, should give you about 10% better performance with decoding. Though even with that you won't be able to handle more than 720p.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: