View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Canada cheese-smuggling ring busted - policeman charged Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19751695
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every cheese smuggler is a true patriot. Helping out his fellow citizens and avoiding the "vig" the government thugs demand.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Every cheese smuggler is a true patriot. Helping out his fellow citizens and avoiding the "vig" the government thugs demand.

Agreed. the trouble is that farmers get huge subsidies and protections that are age old to help "protect their way of life". Well, I am not sure that should be a national goal. Everyone suffers because of it. Apparently, milk is so expensive in canada that cheese now costs more than beef. I was wowed by the price of milk there when I went recently. We have the opposite problem here. Milk is heavily subsidized and so is super cheap. my impression was that organic milk here costs much less than conventional milk in canada.

Farm subsidies everywhere are way crazy.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, our dairly and poultry farmers generally destroy product in order to keep prices high. It is these boards lately whining about all the people shopping south of the border.

I won't buy cheese here, it's too expensive. I do buy milk occasionally.

To give you an idea:

2 lb cheddar: between $20 - $25
1 gallon milk: between $4 -$5 (regular) / between $6 - $8 (organic)
150 g parmesan cheese: $6

To give you an idea, in the US about 40 minutes south of the border you can get 5 lb brick of cheddar for $13 and a gallon of milk for between $2 and $2.50.

And they wonder why everyone is shopping south of the border? Those boards are run by a bunch of retards.

Gasoline for the car is a lot cheaper too ($1.40/litre or so in Vancouver, $0.98/litre south of the border.) You can make your time worthwhile by filling up your car and buying $20 worth of dairy. Stupid, huh?
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy is currently expensive in Canada because there's been a drought in the US, and Canada is picking up the slack, pushing up local dairy prices in the 3rd quarter.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Dairy is currently expensive in Canada because there's been a drought in the US

False.

sugar wrote:
and Canada is picking up the slack, pushing up local dairy prices in the 3rd quarter.

Nope, wrong again. The dairy and poultry farmers here are protected through regulatory practices.

In that article the guy has been quoted as saying sale prices for dairy and poultry at Canadian Tire, but Canadian Tire does not actually sell dairy and poultry in most of their stores, they were doing it as an experiment and now they are backing out of it saying it costs too much.

I've been paying between $4-$5 a gallon for milk for at least 7 years. I refuse to buy cheese and butter here, when a 5 minute trip just across the border can save 50-75%.

By the way, due to the protectionism that goes on they limit quantities of dairy and poultry brought back from the US. If you go over? Up to 300% tax on it. I was told at the border when I came across with $25 worth of dairy that the tax is indeed 300%. Ouch. Yay protectionism!

(Linking to sites about New Zealand that don't even mention Canada doesn't help prove your point.)
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Yep, our dairly and poultry farmers generally destroy product in order to keep prices high. It is these boards lately whining about all the people shopping south of the border.

I won't buy cheese here, it's too expensive. I do buy milk occasionally.

To give you an idea:

2 lb cheddar: between $20 - $25
1 gallon milk: between $4 -$5 (regular) / between $6 - $8 (organic)
150 g parmesan cheese: $6

To give you an idea, in the US about 40 minutes south of the border you can get 5 lb brick of cheddar for $13 and a gallon of milk for between $2 and $2.50.

And they wonder why everyone is shopping south of the border? Those boards are run by a bunch of retards.

Gasoline for the car is a lot cheaper too ($1.40/litre or so in Vancouver, $0.98/litre south of the border.) You can make your time worthwhile by filling up your car and buying $20 worth of dairy. Stupid, huh?

that's sounds cheap for a gallon of milk in vancouver. I saw much worse (but I wasn't optimizing).

Likely on the US you have a different story. it wouldn't surprise me if milk prices are artificially low there from subsidies.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

Likely on the US you have a different story. it wouldn't surprise me if milk prices are artificially low there from subsidies.

Oh, they're probably subsidized. The question is by how much...

Still, if it's half the price people will go south of the border. Other things are cheaper too, like poultry and pork. (Pork will be more expensive soon, though.)

I just read an article saying they've opened a dairy in Sumas, WA that's within walking distance of the border, and the prices there are just as cheap as the big stores in Bellingham. It does mention the US Dairy farmers are subsidized, but it doesn't say by how much.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheddar is not cheese. It is a waste product of the petroleum industry. :P
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:

Maybe so, but it's the cheapest cheese here. Other cheeses are far more expensive.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
wildhorse wrote:

Maybe so, but it's the cheapest cheese here. Other cheeses are far more expensive.

cheddar is from cheddar in england it is great here. it is usually made from milk, unless you get crap.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have excellent aged cheddar, made in New York, Wisconsin, and Vermont. Look for what's labeled "Extra Sharp". It's on par with the best in the world and not expensive. Good cheddar is one of the most tasty and generally useful cheeses.

There are other cheaply made cheeses labeled "cheddar" that probably shouldn't be. Whatever you do, don't buy the type of cheese that has unfortunately been dubbed "American". Kids seem to love it, and people put it in sandwiches or on burgers, but it's pretty much bland and useless (and often orange for some inexplicable reason).

Colby (another orange cheese) and Monterey Jack are similarly bland and uninteresting.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Colby (another orange cheese) and Monterey Jack are similarly bland and uninteresting.

Chedder isn't supposed to be orange, and neither is Colby.

The rest of the world don't understand why you persist in adding beta-carotene to your cheese.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
We have excellent aged cheddar, made in New York, Wisconsin, and Vermont. Look for what's labeled "Extra Sharp". It's on par with the best in the world and not expensive. Good cheddar is one of the most tasty and generally useful cheeses.

There are other cheaply made cheeses labeled "cheddar" that probably shouldn't be. Whatever you do, don't buy the type of cheese that has unfortunately been dubbed "American". Kids seem to love it, and people put it in sandwiches or on burgers, but it's pretty much bland and useless (and often orange for some inexplicable reason).

NEW YORK CITY!

If you want great cheeses you have to come to the Oregon coast. Some of the best milk in the world comes from that strip of land between the Pacific Ocean and Coast Range Mountains of the great state of Oregon.

And it ain't pronounced ore ee gone.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The rest of the world don't understand why you persist in adding beta-carotene to your cheese.

I never said cheddar anywhere is orange, Captain Brain Damage. Also, note the spelling of "cheddar", Mr. Cheese Expert.

What would you know about what Colby is supposed to look like? It's a Wisconsin cheese.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

NEW YORK CITY!

If you want great cheeses you have to come to the Oregon coast. Some of the best milk in the world comes from that strip of land between the Pacific Ocean and Coast Range Mountains of the great state of Oregon.

And it ain't pronounced ore ee gone.

Right. It's pronounced "Oregon", as in, "Would you rather have: a knife, Oregon?"

I used to like some West Coast cheese, but I've sworn off West Coast seafood, wine, and dairy products until the Fukashima radiation dissipates a bit more and the current generation of cattle have died off.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I never said cheddar anywhere is orange, Captain Brain Damage. Also, note the spelling of "cheddar", Mr. Cheese Expert.

What would you know about what Colby is supposed to look like? It's a Wisconsin cheese.

Quote:
There are other cheaply made cheeses labeled "cheddar" ...............but it's pretty much bland and useless (and often orange for some inexplicable reason).

Colby (another orange cheese) ...........

you actually said chedder is sometimes orange. Its only orange where you come from, but never orange anywhere else. Also, colby is not *another* orange cheese.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Quote:
There are other cheaply made cheeses labeled "cheddar" ...............but it's pretty much bland and useless (and often orange for some inexplicable reason).

Colby (another orange cheese) ...........

you actually said chedder is sometimes orange. Its only orange where you come from, but never orange anywhere else. Also, colby is not *another* orange cheese.

No, I didn't. I never said cheddar anywhere is orange. Your damaged brain may have read that, but it's not what I wrote. Also, what you just did with your quote amounts to lying.

This is what I actually said:
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't buy the type of cheese that has unfortunately been dubbed "American". Kids seem to love it, and people put it in sandwiches or on burgers, but it's pretty much bland and useless (and often orange for some inexplicable reason).

And, yes, Colby is "another" orange cheese (along with "yellow American", which also comes in a "white" variety).

Why is that, about 80% of the time you flap your lips, you are wrong (and not just a little bit wrong, but face-plant wrong)? Then, instead of acknowledging it, or laughing it off, at least momentarily putting a cork in your error-prone pie-hole, you go on further humiliating yourself by trying to argue your failed position.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
danomac wrote:
wildhorse wrote:

cheddar is from cheddar in england it is great here. it is usually made from milk, unless you get crap.

++
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're running away, or are you going to back up your sputtering claim?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:facepalm:

It's a thread about frikkin CHEESE! Do we really need personal attacks here too?!?!? 8O

Yes, he was horribly wrong, so what.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care that he was wrong, even if he was doing his usual anti-American trolling. But, then he posted a manipulated quote of my words, changing them substantially to make himself right and me wrong. That deserved a btich-slap. :x

I apologize for saying "your error-prone pie-hole".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I don't care that he was wrong, even if he was doing his usual anti-American trolling. But, then he posted a manipulated quote of my words, changing them substantially to make himself right and me wrong.
I interpreted that to be a demonstration of HOW he actually read the post.

I look at it this way. 1) He was trolling. If so, who cares. If you bite, he wins. 2) He actually has a reading problem of some kind. If so, have you ever let the air out of the tires of a deaf & slow kid, telling him you fixed it? 3) It was a mistake he did / didn't realize he made. None of the above seem worthy of blowing up.

Also, the "80%" comment was fine. It was the brain damage reference that seemed uncalled for.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
So you're running away, or are you going to back up your sputtering claim?

Quote:
Cars can have GPS systems. Another kind of car that can have GPS systems are SUV's.

Colby is not another kind of orange cheese, because not all kinds of Colby are orange. More importantly, it is not a defining characteristic of Colby to be orange. Cheese is only orange in the US because that's how they expect it.

I'll tell you what is not another kind of orange cheese. That's cheddar. Because it's not fucking orange.

edit:

to put it another way, there isn't a 'orange' group of cheeses, only 'dumb stuff USians do to cheese' group.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar, you're the one who brought "orange cheddar" into the discussion. BK referred to American Cheese as orange or sometimes orange.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: