k9copy/backlite FLAIL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: k9copy/backlite FLAIL Reply with quote

Please to help;

One of my raisons d'etre for linux is the ability to copy MY (bought and paid for) DVDs for the kids. K9copy and backlite (in Gentoo) both, now, do not function. I request help. I am aware that these programs are no longer maintained, but..... These programs, k9copy and backlite, both fail about 1/3 of the way through reading DVDs. They just stop, with a "success" message, and a ZERO byte iso image. There is no error message, and review of dmesg shows nothing. This is the case with my Gentoo box, an Arch box, and a Debian-testing box. The only thing that still works is a Fedora16 portable that I have.

I truly would appreciate any and all assistance.

Madal
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to copy the Video-DVD to a DVD without transcoding, you could use K3b instead. Or, if you want to rip the Video-DVD to your HDD first, you could still use K3b, as it does that job too.

Check out Bombono (media-video/bombono-dvd), it's good and supports DVD-to-DVD reauthoring (copying). I recently used it to create a Video-DVD from a much larger MKV file.

If you want to rip the Video-DVD to your HDD first, you could also use dvd::rip (media-video/dvdrip), which I've also used successfully on a number of occasions.

Winki (media-video/winki) was another Video-DVD ripper I used to use successfully. There is still an ebuild for it in the main tree, but the Winki Web site is up for sale so I don't know if the ebuild would still find the source code.

I've not used Handbrake (media-video/handbrake in various overlays), but that is another popular ripper for Video-DVDs that are not copy-protected.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
madal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am rather tied to to k9copy. I wish to go dvd-iso --> dvd-iso (minus the menus and cruft).

K3b, while wildly useful, does not do what I wish to do; same for Bombono. dvd::rip, I have found to be useful, bit it's interface is somewhat of a pain. Winki is interesting; I have never heard of it until now, and it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2007. Handbrake, while an excellent transcoder, does not do dvd-iso to dvd-iso. DVD95 has been my best substitute, but I have had many failures with it.

I'd rather troubleshoot k9copy, if possible. Here's what I got. The error occurs 1/3 of the way through ripping/copying the disc (it's old and without fancy copy protection schemes).
Code:

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
/usr/bin/genisoimage: No such file or directory. Failed to open VIDEO_TS.IFO
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Can't open VMG info for '/tmp/kde-root/k9copy/XXX_XXX/'.
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Unable to parse DVD-Video structures.
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Could not find correct 'VIDEO_TS' directory.
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.
Possible reasons:
  - VIDEO_TS subdirectory was not found on specified location
  - VIDEO_TS has invalid contents

This is interesting because it is nowhere near the part of the process of generating the iso image, i.e., calling genisoimage.

To recap: The program fails on Gentoo, Debian-testing, Arch, Fedora17 (I did an install of F17 this weekend, no love) - all x86_64. And all at the same point in the copy process for each distro!
The program works fine on F16 and a PCLinuxOS install I just did 5 minutes ago, both 32-bit!

It looks like I have traced it to a 32 vs. 64-bit problem.
Any takers?

madal
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a change in one of the KDE libraries, or the libdvdcss or in dvdauthor, it could be anything thats causing the issue.

Considering all those x86_64 distros are either rolling release, quasi-rolling, or recent release, im sure it's a change in something that possibly "broke" k9copy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: