Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
DragonFly BSD gets a new CPU scheduler, equals Linux(almost)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: DragonFly BSD gets a new CPU scheduler, equals Linux(almost) Reply with quote

http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2012-September/000050.html

Quote:

The result is an IMMENSE improvement in postgres benchmarks as well as
across-the-board improvements in performance under load. We pretty
much outstrip the other BSDs now and we get fairly close (though do
not quite beat) the higher-end linux benchmarks.

Excellent news. The years of work on a unique SMP architecture is coming to fruition. One should mention that DFBSD is the smallest of all the major BSDs. Hopefully graphs will follow soon.

Graphs:

http://dl.wolfpond.org/benchs/Pg-benchmarks.2012-10.pdf

One thing to note is that Postgres recently switched from using Sys-V shared memory to mmap. Dragonfly was already performing well with Sys-V shared memory.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta

Last edited by petrjanda on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I would be all over this if I could figure out how to boot it from a flash drive. Using dd doesn't work. Does a boot loader have to be installed on the flash drive too?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
You know, I would be all over this if I could figure out how to boot it from a flash drive. Using dd doesn't work. Does a boot loader have to be installed on the flash drive too?

I use sys-boot/unetbootin it installs boot loader and whatever disc image on a flash memory.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:

If you want to experiment with it make sure you get the development branch. Very soon we will also have new USB stack so if you're keyboard or mouse isn't detected, give it another month.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:

I use sys-boot/unetbootin it installs boot loader and whatever disc image on a flash memory.

According to the fine manual, BSD doesn't work with unetbootin:

"ISO files for non-Linux operating systems have a different boot mechanism, so don't expect them to work either."
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

If you want to experiment with it make sure you get the development branch. Very soon we will also have new USB stack so if you're keyboard or mouse isn't detected, give it another month.

I don't have either a usb keyboard or mouse. I just have no way to install it from a flash drive.
--------------------------
----------EDIT----------
--------------------------

GOOD GOD! I just installed this in qemu-kvm and it is FAST, even with only one processor in a virtual machine. I never should have done this. It makes me want to run it on my hardware even more.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres still some changes being done to the scheduler so maybe give it a few days for it to stabilize,
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

According to the fine manual, BSD doesn't work with unetbootin:

"ISO files for non-Linux operating systems have a different boot mechanism, so don't expect them to work either."

Erm...read the page again. It supports ~BSDs.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:

I am not the one here who has issues with reading & comprehension. The pages clearly lists, as supported BSDs, the following:

FreeBSD

NetBSD

So we can clearly see CURRENT versions of BSDs are not supported by default. No where on the list of supported BSDs does the term "DragonFlyBSD" appear. So your suggestion to use unetbootin to install DragonFlyBSD on a flash drive is pointless, unhelpful and completely ignores the information found on the unetbootin website itself.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

I am not the one here who has issues with reading & comprehension. The pages clearly lists, as supported BSDs, the following:

FreeBSD

NetBSD

So we can clearly see CURRENT versions of BSDs are not supported by default. No where on the list of supported BSDs does the term "DragonFlyBSD" appear. So your suggestion to use unetbootin to install DragonFlyBSD on a flash drive is pointless, unhelpful and completely ignores the information found on the unetbootin website itself.

Oh ok. No need to get your panties in a bundle. Good luck getting any help with that attitude :-)
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:

Oh ok. No need to get your panties in a bundle. Good luck getting any help with that attitude :-)

Good luck getting anything other than attitude when you spread false, misleading and inaccurate information in help forums. To be honest, admit that BSD support in unetbootin is spotty at best. Admit that of the major BSDs, unetbootin supports NONE of the latest releases. Admit the only 'support' for BSD to be found in unetbootin is for old/ancient versions of BSD. Finally, CHECK YOUR SOURCES before dishing out advice when you know little to nothing of what you speak.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Theres still some changes being done to the scheduler so maybe give it a few days for it to stabilize,

I've no doubts the scheduler is fine. DragonFly is only using 1 cpu because I only gave it 1 to use in Aqemu. It really does fly. I would LOVE to have it running on my hardware. I actually like it better than the latest NetBSD release candidate.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

I've no doubts the scheduler is fine. DragonFly is only using 1 cpu because I only gave it 1 to use in Aqemu. It really does fly. I would LOVE to have it running on my hardware. I actually like it better than the latest NetBSD release candidate.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

Good luck getting anything other than attitude when you spread false, misleading and inaccurate information in help forums. To be honest, admit that BSD support in unetbootin is spotty at best. Admit that of the major BSDs, unetbootin supports NONE of the latest releases. Admit the only 'support' for BSD to be found in unetbootin is for old/ancient versions of BSD. Finally, CHECK YOUR SOURCES before dishing out advice when you know little to nothing of what you speak.

What is your problem? Jesus. I gave information in good faith, it's not my fault your OS isn't supported.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:

What is your problem?

So when you provide totally wrong information, it is the fault of others when they call you out for it?

sikpuppy wrote:

Jesus. I gave information in good faith,

And that information was wrong.

sikpuppy wrote:

it's not my fault your OS isn't supported.

You are being blamed for offering false, inaccurate and unhelpful advice. There's really no excuse for it either, when a link to documentation was provided in the thread, yet you couldn't be bothered to click it, read it and/or comprehend it.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit* bloody internet trolls.
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is OTW. I thought we posted inaccurate information all the time. :wink:
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
It really does fly.

When doing what?

(Apologies for this non-rant off-topic post.)
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presently trying:

cat NetBSD-6.0_RC2-amd64.iso > /dev/sdd1

If it works for NetBSD, it should also work for DragonFly.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
Presently trying:

cat NetBSD-6.0_RC2-amd64.iso > /dev/sdd1

If it works for NetBSD, it should also work for DragonFly.

the dragonfly website says using dd should work. are you sure your bios is set to boot from usb?
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

the dragonfly website says using dd should work. are you sure your bios is set to boot from usb?

It does so by default, which I have verified in the BIOS boot order. When a flash drive is plugged in, a dynamic entry is created in the first place of the boot order.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got DragonFly to boot, although I haven't installed it yet. The secret is to not make any partitions on the flash drive first. (This is my first box which intentionally is lacking an optical drive, so I am used to doing installs with CDs.) I used the 3.03 DragonFlyBSD memory stick image. The only way it boots is if I select safe mode. All other options freeze at EHCI detection(?). I first formatted the drive with ext4 file system:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd

NOT

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1

After that, it booted right up.

I built this box a year ago and put Hardened on the first drive. a normal Gentoo with BFS on the second drive, along with a backup Hardened also on the second drive, which I have since taken to unstable. I intentionally left one spare primary partition at the end of the second drive for BSD. The real point is to play around with pkgsrc again, which I love. The only caveat here is my spare partition for BSD is less than 50GB and any partition less than 50 GB isn't recommended for a Hammer file system, which I am itching to play with now.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
I got DragonFly to boot, although I haven't installed it yet. The secret is to not make any partitions on the flash drive first. (This is my first box which intentionally is lacking an optical drive, so I am used to doing installs with CDs.) I used the 3.03 DragonFlyBSD memory stick image. The only way it boots is if I select safe mode. All other options freeze at EHCI detection(?). I first formatted the drive with ext4 file system:

You should get the development USB image instead if you want to get all the latest updates, it's usually quite stable. As I mentioned, theres a new USB stack coming soon (the old one doesn't work with a lot of new chips). You should be able to install it by disabling USB2+ in BIOS and then changing /boot/loader.conf to disable loading EHCI, and then re-enable USB2+ in bios. The installation will be limited to using USB1 but it's better than nothing.

Quote:

The only caveat here is my spare partition for BSD is less than 50GB and any partition less than 50 GB isn't recommended for a Hammer file system, which I am itching to play with now.

You can use hammer with less than 50GB just make sure you configure the filesystem(after install) to purge and rebalance data quicker (and hold less history), but even so if all youre doing is experimenting with it, it shouldn't matter anyway.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that kind of sad that you waste your time with an supposed 'operating system' that can't even get something basic as usb2 right?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: