Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
WW3: Coming Soon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: WW3: Coming Soon Reply with quote

Strike on Iran would trigger 'World War III': Guards

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iPxiwttCmiOYexeu_thvkgrxIG4g?docId=CNG.120f8ada7f83c4fd3321ff305b92c6ba.4b1

Quote:
TEHRAN — Iran could launch a pre-emptive strike if Israel prepares to attack it, a senior Revolutionary Guards commander told broadcaster Al-Alam on Sunday, a day after his boss warned that conflict was inevitable.

Should Israel and Iran engage militarily, "nothing is predictable... and it will turn into World War III," Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh told Iran's Arabic-language television network.

Hajizadeh, who is in charge of Revolutionary Guards missile systems, said: "In circumstances in which they (the Israelis) have prepared everything for an attack, it is possible that we will make a pre-emptive attack. But we do not see this at the moment."

He added that Iran would deem any Israeli strike to be conducted with US authorisation, so "whether the Zionist regime attacks with or without US knowledge, then we will definitely attack US bases in Bahrain, Qatar and Afghanistan."

He warned that Israel "cannot imagine our response -- and it will sustain heavy damage and that will be a prelude to its obliteration."

_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 778
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is predictable, but it will cause WWIII. Yeah.
_________________
Kali Ma
Now it's autumn of the aeons
Dance with your sword
Now it's time for the harvest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre rattling... Threats designed to dissuade the Israelis from striking, which the Iranians fear they will do. Include the US, so we hopefully put pressure on Israel not to strike. Maybe we should run shock and awe 2.0 on them preemptively. I would't mind seeing a picture of a dead and bloated, child raping, Ayatollah, among the rubble. Preferably this picture could be run on the cover of time magazine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
Sabre rattling... Threats designed to dissuade the Israelis from striking, which the Iranians fear they will do. Include the US, so we hopefully put pressure on Israel not to strike. Maybe we should run shock and awe 2.0 on them preemptively. I would't mind seeing a picture of a dead and bloated, child raping, Ayatollah, among the rubble. Preferably this picture could be run on the cover of time magazine.

Because "shock and awe" only kills Very Bad Guys.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight up militarily, Iran is pretty weak. That would not stop them from using their surrogates to blow up Israeli cafes and school buses.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Because "shock and awe" only kills Very Bad Guys.


Don't patronize me. Determining who are the good guys and who are the bad guys is nothing more than a matter of opinion. Hundreds of people die in conflicts with each other every day (many without government involvement, before you decide to kick that horse). Asking which ones were good and which ones were bad, and which ones were simply innocent bystanders will yield many different answers based on the biases of the observers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
Don't patronize me. Determining who are the good guys and who are the bad guys is nothing more than a matter of opinion. Hundreds of people die in conflicts with each other every day (many without government involvement, before you decide to kick that horse). Asking which ones were good and which ones were bad, and which ones were simply innocent bystanders will yield many different answers based on the biases of the observers.

You are the one suggesting preemptive attacks, apparently based on the fact that the Ayatollah is a Bad Guy.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 2550
Location: In the city of dreaming spires

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
You are the one suggesting preemptive attacks, apparently based on the fact that the Ayatollah is a Bad Guy.

But he is a bad guy. I saw it on a wrestling program! (Which incidentally is what I thought this thread was about. Very disappointing.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
You are the one suggesting preemptive attacks, apparently based on the fact that the Ayatollah is a Bad Guy.


It was intended to be an over-the-top, ridiculous, suggestion, to contrast against the absurdity of Iran's statements... But, I guess as someone specializing in completely absurd suggestions, you would have trouble recognizing this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see - preemptive strike = war crime

If Iran would do it: total annihilation
If Israel does it: everything ok.

hypocrisy galore.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, silly people tend to forget that "Iran haven't threatened anybody".
But hey, europeans sure know a thing or two about hypocrisy.
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 153
Location: ~/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty Python wrote:
Today we're going to do marching up and down the square. That is unless any of you got anything better to do? Well, anyone got anything they'd rather be doing than marching up and down the square?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran has a strong conventional army.

US and its allies have technology and thousands of aeroplanes and a coordinated military, in which the army plays its small part. Even if this were to be the WW3, it will end exactly as WW2. Just like Hitler was not able to stop invasion of his empire with King Tiger tanks, with the allies bombing from the sky.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
Yeah, silly people tend to forget that "Iran haven't threatened anybody".
But hey, europeans sure know a thing or two about hypocrisy.


how many countries have been invaded by Iran? Who supported Iraq/Saddam when he attacked Iran? And why is it not ok to support freedom fighters?
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Koala Kid wrote:
Yeah, silly people tend to forget that "Iran haven't threatened anybody".
But hey, europeans sure know a thing or two about hypocrisy.


how many countries have been invaded by Iran?


Relevance? But OK, let me continue with your logic path. How many countries have been invaded by Germany? Let's disband their army before they do that again.



energyman76b wrote:
And why is it not ok to support freedom fighters?

Who?
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
Relevance? But OK, let me continue with your logic path. How many countries have been invaded by Germany? Let's disband their army before they do that again.


Well, actually, that's what they did. How many countries have US invaded since WW2? Disband that army? :lol:
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
It was intended to be an over-the-top, ridiculous, suggestion, to contrast against the absurdity of Iran's statements... But, I guess as someone specializing in completely absurd suggestions, you would have trouble recognizing this.

I guess so.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: WW3: Coming Soon Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Strike on Iran would trigger 'World War III': Guards

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iPxiwttCmiOYexeu_thvkgrxIG4g?docId=CNG.120f8ada7f83c4fd3321ff305b92c6ba.4b1

Quote:
TEHRAN — Iran could launch a pre-emptive strike if Israel prepares to attack it, a senior Revolutionary Guards commander told broadcaster Al-Alam on Sunday, a day after his boss warned that conflict was inevitable.

Should Israel and Iran engage militarily, "nothing is predictable... and it will turn into World War III," Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh told Iran's Arabic-language television network.

Hajizadeh, who is in charge of Revolutionary Guards missile systems, said: "In circumstances in which they (the Israelis) have prepared everything for an attack, it is possible that we will make a pre-emptive attack. But we do not see this at the moment."

He added that Iran would deem any Israeli strike to be conducted with US authorisation, so "whether the Zionist regime attacks with or without US knowledge, then we will definitely attack US bases in Bahrain, Qatar and Afghanistan."

He warned that Israel "cannot imagine our response -- and it will sustain heavy damage and that will be a prelude to its obliteration."


the world wars were 'world' wars because there was an empire to protect. The empire is gone, so I doubt we'd see a world war again.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: WW3: Coming Soon Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
the world wars were 'world' wars because there was an empire to protect. The empire is gone, so I doubt we'd see a world war again.
++
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asch
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Jan 2010
Posts: 18
Location: Irgendwo im Südhalbkugel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just won't happen. Both sides have too much to lose.

It is just dictator speech to keep people scared and at bay, distracted from their real problems and even more submissive.

War = end of the ayatolahs. No matter what happens to Israel.
_________________
Contributing to the dumbassification of Gentoo forums since 2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum