general kernel building question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nateo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: general kernel building question Reply with quote

Howdy All,

I have been having a really tough time getting my radeon card working--so much so that I'm doubting my abilities to make and copy a new kernel to boot (even though I've done it before).

Anyway could someone look at the following code and see if there is anything I'm missing?

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

I'm am now in menuconfig and choosing my various options including the relevant radeon stuff. I save the configuration upon exiting menuconfig and then:

Code:
make && make modules

The computer is busy for a while and appears to make a new kernel. So then I copy:

Code:
cp -pv arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-3.4.9-gentoo

I've checked my time stamps for bzImage and linux-3.4.9-gentoo and they are always the same and always reflect the latest kernel roll.

I then reboot and the system and it works. But am I using the kernel I just rolled or some other kernel.

So, is there anything possibly wrong with any of the above?
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: general kernel building question Reply with quote

nateo wrote:

Code:
make && make modules

I think this should be "make && make modules_install"

If you're building the radeon driver as a module, this may be why it's not working.

See this section in the handbook: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap3

Quote:
Compiling and Installing

Now that your kernel is configured, it is time to compile and install it. Exit the configuration and start the compilation process:

Code Listing 3.9: Compiling the kernel

Code:
# make && make modules_install

If you want to be absolutely certain you are using the kernel you just built, either change its name when you copy it (kernel-3.4.9-gentoo-1, for example; you will then also need to edit your menu.lst file) or set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in the .config file; this allows you to add a string that will be displayed with the kernel version when you use uname -r.

Of course, this won't help if your modules are not being built or installed correctly.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nateo,

This is a good outline to follow for radeon :wink:

And as pidsley advised it's make && make modules_install

To copy the kernel to /boot first make sure it's mounted then make install :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check which kernel you're running atm use `uname -a` and look at the build time. If it's not the correct one check your bootmanager config (grub usually). But as others have said, if the problem is mainly with the radeon driver it's likely you simply forgot to install it using `make modules_install`.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: