Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
lets start the flame war Emacs vs Vim vs nana vs whatevter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

whats your text editor
Emacs
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Vim
55%
 55%  [ 32 ]
Nano
29%
 29%  [ 17 ]
Notepad
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 58

Author Message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if there's any plugins for Vim that has a drop-down/code completion feature, like Visual C++/Eclipse?

The only thing I miss while using Vim is code completion.

I don't know if this is the best approach, but it seems relevant:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/C%2B%2B_code_completion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 325
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shovel*
*shovel*
*shovel*
Ahh, there it is.


avx wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
What a pity.
I really ask myself why; why do people write editors with GTK or Qt or whatever frontends?
Especially if it's such a lightwight editor like Textadept. There are no buttons to click on, no pictures to show an no ... other things that don't belong in an editor.
qft :evil:

Apparently the autor of Textadept agrees with me. At least the latest betas of Textadept include a ncurses version of the editor based on scinterm:
http://foicica.com/textadept/14_Appendix.html#Ncurses.Compatibility
For those who kinda liked Textadept's concept but found it was lacking a cli this should be an interesting development.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Is it bad if I use nano? I was taught to use pico.

By the way, how can I learn vim? I have seen other people use it and it is awesome, but I am not particularly proficient with it.


http://vim-adventures.com/

edit: oh god ... ancient thread
_________________
If English was good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 325
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're one of those weirdos who actually read threads from the beginnig :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
I see you're one of those weirdos who actually read threads from the beginnig :P


ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN!
_________________
If English was good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16105
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
I really ask myself why; why do people write editors with GTK or Qt or whatever frontends?
Especially if it's such a lightwight editor like Textadept. There are no buttons to click on, no pictures to show an no ... other things that don't belong in an editor.
Copy & paste is often much easier. Personally, I find the fonts used by most GUIs to be better than terminal fonts*.

* I like my terminal interaction in "terminal" fonts. But for general reading, I prefer more readable fonts. I'm not sure why the difference. Well, one issue is the variable width spacing for characters (or lack of variable width).
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click on the start thingy, windows tells me what to do.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
When I click on the start thingy, windows tells me what to do.

chuckle
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1593
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reviving a two year old thread.

i take back all my good words for notepad++ ( its still an ok windoz editor i guess ).

BUT sublime text 2 is just straight up awesome. its client's functionality and UI work really well and consistently on OSX, gentoo, and windoz.

its by far my favorite editor on loonix, in fact nothing compares at all. period.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
reviving a two year old thread.

i take back all my good words for notepad++ ( its still an ok windoz editor i guess ).

BUT sublime text 2 is just straight up awesome. its client's functionality and UI work really well and consistently on OSX, gentoo, and windoz.

its by far my favorite editor on loonix, in fact nothing compares at all. period.

In two years will you be taking back your good words for sublime? :lol:

Tell me why it's better than vim. So much better than vim that vim doesn't compare at all.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use kate because I can't be dealing with the command line. My hobbies also include watching paint dry and manufacturing reading glasses for houseflies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1593
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
reviving a two year old thread.

i take back all my good words for notepad++ ( its still an ok windoz editor i guess ).

BUT sublime text 2 is just straight up awesome. its client's functionality and UI work really well and consistently on OSX, gentoo, and windoz.

its by far my favorite editor on loonix, in fact nothing compares at all. period.

In two years will you be taking back your good words for sublime? :lol:

Tell me why it's better than vim. So much better than vim that vim doesn't compare at all.


maybe, i will be. software gets better and/or alternatives surface.

mmm okay, i guess i meant no other GUI editor ( eclipse, intellij, kate, bluefish, notepad++ ) compares.

I use vim and sublime text 2, both, constantly.

vim is great; especially with this .vimrc http://amix.dk/vim/vimrc.html but thats mainly a matter of taste.

i would say that sublime text is the current vim of GUI editors :lol: both are delicious when doing lots and lots of code. but i prefer working in lots of file concurrently in sublime text, again a matter of taste i think.

but again, sublime sold me as my GUI editor of choice because it works so great on all the major desktop platforms.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum