Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
On a side note, "the smart swarm" is a pretty cool book, it describes various experiments and observations of animals and swarm behaviour, like the observations of how bees actually navigate. It goes into the question of stupid small animals that as a swarm display amazing intelligence like how termites build their colonies without a plan or coordinator agent, yet end up with a structure that dwarvs human creations and have built in climate control that control humidity and temperature in spite the fact that they are built in arid parts of the world with hot day temperatures and cold nights.

Trippy stuff.

So maybe humanity is evolving into a super-intelligent Borg-like hive-mind that happens to behave stupidly and self-destructively thus far?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:
On a side note, "the smart swarm" is a pretty cool book, it describes various experiments and observations of animals and swarm behaviour, like the observations of how bees actually navigate. It goes into the question of stupid small animals that as a swarm display amazing intelligence like how termites build their colonies without a plan or coordinator agent, yet end up with a structure that dwarvs human creations and have built in climate control that control humidity and temperature in spite the fact that they are built in arid parts of the world with hot day temperatures and cold nights.

Trippy stuff.

So maybe humanity is evolving into a super-intelligent Borg-like hive-mind that happens to behave stupidly and self-destructively thus far?

Well, total nuclear war aside, we seem to be a species that took manipulation of environment to the next level, and are stuck in paradigm that is rewarding our primal instincts, and those two things combined are gonna fuck it up for ourselves.

I mean the planet will go on spinning, regardless, and even if we all die, some microbes will keep fucking in their microbe way, and something else will take place.

But as a species, if we seem to be in teenage years where we our bones and muscles grow so we have physical strength of an adult, but are stupid as fuck and get into problems, and we seem to be looking for our space daddy to show us the way for ages, not finding anything. We simply have to grow up ourselves, or we'll end up with carnage when the smart and powerful ones among ones realize that if they don't kill 6bn of the "stupid" they themselves will die and vanish.

Some think that it is what is happening right now. We don't have technology and maturity to transcend the limitations of physical resources of our planet, nor to transcend our own stupidity, and the population growth curve is exponential, and right now, it's pointing eerily upwards.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The population growth forecasts I have seen predict a plateau. However, it will be scarcity (and I think violence, disease, and deprivation) that will cause that to happen. This is what we observe with other rapidly-multiplying species as well.

The mutation we really need is for people to be less horny or have a reduced instinct to make babies. We've tried putting chemicals in the Coca Cola for China, India and Africa, but it doesn't seem to be working in the latter two. :P
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a imbalance in ecological footprint in different parts of the world, tho.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: