Tourist Bashing Turns Ugly in Berlin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Tourist Bashing Turns Ugly in Berlin Reply with quote

Quote:
Tourist-bashing turns ugly in Berlin

(Reuters) - Tourism to Berlin is booming as never before and filling the debt-ridden city's coffers with much-needed cash, but not all Berliners are cheering the influx of visitors.

Some blame the tourists, especially the young 20-something "Easyjet set" who ride the budget airline to party through the night in the uber-cool, hedonistic German capital, for a host of ills from rising rents to noise pollution.

"Noisy tourists go home!" reads one hostile sign in the eastern district of Friedrichshain. "Berlin doesn't love you," say stickers plastering traffic lights in nearby Kreuzberg.

A gallery in an area known for its trendy bars featured for months a scrawled sign in the window: "Sorry, no entry for hipsters from the U.S."

"We've seen people insulted for looking like tourists or get disparaging looks," said David Schuster, an activist for a local leftist group that has launched a tourist-friendly awareness drive.

"There's some resentment that tourists party loudly or throw up on the streets," Schuster said. "I think many Berliners do too, but they feel entitled to act that way."
Quote:
Berlin, now Europe's third most visited city after the more established magnets London and Paris, can ill afford to scare away the tourists.

Tourism generated gross revenues of 10.3 billion euros last year, equal to nearly 10 percent of the city budget, a recent study by the Berlin government said. That is more than either real estate or consumer goods production, two other expanding branches of Berlin's otherwise plodding economy, it showed.

Nine new hotels are set to open by 2013.

Yet this summer, visiting investors at a business convention were attacked by some hundred demonstrators and a newly opened "organic hotel" was vandalized by anti-gentrification activists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/17/us-germany-berlin-tourists-idUSBRE88C0ZT20120917
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tourist Bashing Turns Ugly in Berlin Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
"Sorry, no entry for hipsters from the U.S."

Germans rock.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might remove Berlin from my list of 'Cities must have to nuke' and place it on the list of 'Cities should be nuked'

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clobberin' time! Coming. Please leave a few yanks for me.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
It's clobberin' time! Coming. Please leave a few yanks for me.

Something tells me they will be equally enthused to see beggared Spaniard hipsters flooding into Berlin, wielding their entitlement syndrome and another batch of suspicious-smelling cucumbers.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
I might remove Berlin from my list of 'Cities must have to nuke' and place it on the list of 'Cities should be nuked'
:lol:

Maybe it's just time the wall go up around the whole city this time! :D

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: