[SOLVED] make.conf doesn't exist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfabiolo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] make.conf doesn't exist Reply with quote

I'm a newbie of Gentoo.
I installed Gentoo Linux 64-bit.
I don't think I've done something wrong, I did everything as in the official installation manual. But at some point he said that I should configure the /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf (as written at the bottom: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=5 )
Here you are. . . that file does not exist. I tried again to reinstall gentoo but this time the 32-bit version. Same thing, there is not even there.
It is not the first time I install gentoo. Also a week ago I did it. I remember that the file exists and also I set the USE variable etc..
Going forward anyway ignoring this fact (and therefore not configuring USE and other variables) the installation is successful. But even once installed I don't know where the file is.

Can anyone give me an explanation?

Last edited by mrfabiolo on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bug in either documentation or the stage-tarball you used. Gentoo's in the process of moving everything portage to /etc/portage, thus make.conf will reside in /etc/portage/make.conf in the future.

If that file is available on your system, just make changes to it there, if you've got no make.conf at all, that's a bug and should be filed.
mrfabiolo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
It's a bug in either documentation or the stage-tarball you used. Gentoo's in the process of moving everything portage to /etc/portage, thus make.conf will reside in /etc/portage/make.conf in the future.

If that file is available on your system, just make changes to it there, if you've got no make.conf at all, that's a bug and should be filed.

oh, yes. It isn't a bug. I was using the italian manual. In the english is said right. the italian isn't updated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: