(solved)Second time installing gentoo -- missing make.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: (solved)Second time installing gentoo -- missing make.conf Reply with quote

all the things in my gentoo/etc/portage folder is /saveconfig/sys-apps/busybox-1.20.1
i'm pretty sure that last time i did it there was a file there, and this wasn't long ago (earlier this year)... isn't there supposed to be some sort of basic layout file there with most common settings set up? am i doing something wrong? has the file been relocated? (i know the location of the example file tho)

Also, i've got a k10 architecture processor (on a laptop) is it ok for me to use march=k8 or should i use mtune=k8? or should i just not use any such option? i shouldn't use both mtune and march at the same time right?

Isn't it generally a good idea to copy make.conf.example over to etc/portage/ and then make that into make.conf, and just edit out the hashes for the options i wanna use?

I'm running amd64 (64 bit) version of this whole thing, should CHOST be set to "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" or should i just not set chost at all?

Should i use the FFLAGS and FCFLAGS options? i'd like to ask what fortran is but i guess i can google that....

Portage uses a lot of example files (viewing example file) do i need to set all these directories? or they set themselves to something if i don't?

then theres just tons of options here i don't even know what are supposed to do... do i have to set all the options? or can i just leave most of these options hashed?

---
and finally, when installing applications on gentoo as an example, skype, it gives me these options when downloading:

Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit
Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
Debian 6.0 32-bit
Debian 6.0 64-bit
Fedora 16 32bit
OpenSUSE 12.1 32bit
Dynamic
Static

I'm expecting to see a lot of that choice between ubuntu and debian and such... so which one would be a good choice for gentoo? theres also static and dynamic, i would guess i'd download static... but i'm not really sure what it is.

Last edited by rabcor on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After unpacking the stage tarball, you should have a make.conf in /etc. The Handbook documentation has been updated for a new location (/etc/portage) but the stage autobuild is currently down so the stages still have it in the old location.

- John
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot john! (fast reply too) so, should i just make a new file in etc/portage ? or should i just use the etc/make.conf ? should i have one in both places? -- also this happens before i install the stage3 tarball, installing that comes after this part in the handbook, if i understood you correctly.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabcor,

You can leave make.conf in /etc for now :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright, thats what i'll do, you guys are lifesavers! so fast replies i actually didn't have to stop for long. would appreciate some answers to my other questions tho :)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more answers, then:
  • CHOST should be set appropriately in the default make.conf. Don't change it right now.
  • If you don't know what Fortran is, you don't need FFLAGS or FCFLAGS.
  • Regarding Skype, the answer is, "None of the above." You use Gentoo's package manager, Portage, to install software. A quick search
    Code:
    ~ # equery list -p skype
     * Searching for skype ...
    [-P-] [ ~] net-im/skype-2.2.0.35-r99:0
    [-P-] [ ~] net-im/skype-4.0.0.8-r1:0
    shows that Portage knows about Skype already, although it's keyworded in the testing branch. Your homework assignment is to understand what that last sentence means. :wink:
  • 2nd homework assignment. equery is part of the app-portage/gentoolkit package. Study the Handbook sufficiently and you should understand how to install it. :)
- John
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Also one thing i noticed (this is the 2nd time it happens) i'm getting a "download error" in links when i download the stage3 saying "could not creae file ... No space left on device" however it does make the file. bu tafter that it'll just give me more errors if i try to proceed. everytime it happened i just redid everything from scratch (the disks and all) and it seemed to work, i don't really get why this error happens.

But i'm just gonna redo it all again now, i think its really weird tho, cus i was partway through the installation, then i accidentally restarted my computer, and for some reason after mounting /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/boot again on the partitions, this error came up, the first time it happened was on my very first install attempt. anyone got any ideas?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were probably in the wrong directory. Once the root partition is mounted on /mnt/gentoo, you need to change into that directory before downloading the stage tarball.

- John
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i know what the deal was

i did cd "/mnt/gentoo" when i should've probably done "cd mnt/gentoo" thats my guess anyhow
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the root directory of the install CD, those are equivalent. From anywhere else, only the former works. I'd recommend the former. :wink:

- John
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Second time installing gentoo -- missing make.conf (and Reply with quote

rabcor wrote:
Also, i've got a k10 architecture processor (on a laptop) is it ok for me to use march=k8 or should i use mtune=k8? or should i just not use any such option? i shouldn't use both mtune and march at the same time right?
The -march and -mtune flags can be used at the same time, typically with the same value. Boot the install CD and run
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
which will tell you the exact parameters of your CPU. You can then look up well tested optimal CFLAGS on the Safe CFLAGS page of the Gentoo Linux Wiki.

- John
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still don't get that thing with no disk space... it wasn't a wrong directory. but no matter, i got past it. thanks a ton for all your help, especially the safe cflags wiki link, that proved very very helpful i believe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: