Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Arab Spring Comes Home to Roost: US Embassies Attacked
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elyes wrote:
I would like to say 2 things:
1/ to our fundamentalist: still an American flag on the moon! ;)
2/ about the movie: freedom don't allow you to be antisemitic .

1) Then they should leave the medieval age and join the 21st century and put one of their own on the moon
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI <-- this never caused a riot, or murder spree, or even mildly branded as antisemitic. It's satire, and you don't have a right to be not offended anyway.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:
Clad in Sky wrote:
I find it especially alarming that they're not going for the producer, but just went into berzerk mode and attack Amercian and other "western" installations. Yes, it was an American (more or less) who made the film, that does not mean all Amercans share this view (as far as I know, some Americans are Muslims, even).

As for the free speech != insulting Mohammed: Those same people who just got rid of an oppressive government (only to vote - in free elections, hooray - for a religious government that's probably not much better) want other governments to abandon free speech. How ironic.


I would find it especially alarming if they did go after the producer.

They shouldn't be "going after" anyone.

For a group which prides themselves on preserving the wisdom of ancient Greece, they sure seem unable to appreciate what they saved.

This may require a "civilizing war."

They didn't go after the producer because the film was just peripheral to their main objective: to launch a coordinated attack on the U.S. presence in the Middle East on 9/11. They might even believe that doing so just before an election will influence U.S. policy. The movie was just used to agitate the masses, which gave them human shields and created the illusion of some degree of legitimacy to the attacks as an act of protest. It even worked, to a degree: the immediate response of the Obama administration was not to stand up for freedom of expression but to apologize, say "it's not my fault", and condemn the free speech. Those statements legitimized the attacks in the eyes of the world and the perpetrators, as does the theater of having the producer of the film effectively "arrested" by police in front of lots of press cameras.
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
They didn't go after the producer because the film was just peripheral to their main objective: to launch a coordinated attack on the U.S. presence in the Middle East on 9/11. They might even believe that doing so just before an election will influence U.S. policy. The movie was just used to agitate the masses, which gave them human shields and created the illusion of some degree of legitimacy to the attacks as an act of protest. It even worked, to a degree: the immediate response of the Obama administration was not to stand up for freedom of expression but to apologize, say "it's not my fault", and condemn the free speech. Those statements legitimized the attacks in the eyes of the world and the perpetrators, as does the theater of having the producer of the film effectively "arrested" by police in front of lots of press cameras.


Part of me wishes that was true, which would mean that there is some hope and sense left, but a large part of me thinks that the reality is much more sinister then that.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 379

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
elyes wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Apparently the guy behind the film is a Coptic Christian


not really ... search again ...

I did, and I say again, the man behind the film was a Coptic Christian (of Egyptian origin, no less). You search again.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57512420/feds-id-anti-islam-filmmaker-who-sparked-protests/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19591039

Does the origin of the person really matter that much? Just curious of possible answers.


Actually, yes.
If it was an israeli, then "fucking jews seeking for war with peaceful muslims"
when he's not, then "stone aged muslims crawling from their caves".

just ask energyman.
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 379

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, they are blaming the jews anyway. how nice, huh?
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egyptian PM urges US to end insults

Not sure what he wants.

I am actually surprised at the timid response of the US govt. Maybe its right not to be belligerent about this, but a US ambassador got killed. that isn't tiny news. that is super serious. you can't have ambassadors being killed (not just from the US but from any country). I am not advocating any violence on the part of the americans (who are being remarkably admirable), but some words telling these countries to get their act together and protect the US embassies may be in order. The embassies need protection or need to be evacuated, as it seems the staff is in serious danger.

I dunno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Egyptian PM urges US to end insults

Not sure what he wants.

I am actually surprised at the timid response of the US govt. Maybe its right not to be belligerent about this, but a US ambassador got killed. that isn't tiny news. that is super serious. you can't have ambassadors being killed (not just from the US but from any country). I am not advocating any violence on the part of the americans (who are being remarkably admirable), but some words telling these countries to get their act together and protect the US embassies may be in order. The embassies need protection or need to be evacuated, as it seems the staff is in serious danger.

I dunno.

Nothing admirable about it...the Americans just don't want to start a war before the election.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands of videos; thousands of Internet sites that "insult" Islam and the Prophet. Anyone that believes that this one film is the cause of the current barbaric behavior by those followers of Islam need their cognitive functions readjusted.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billium
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Posts: 175

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film that aidanjt quote (brilliant) also had its problems with religous nutters .. it was banned in Glasgow until 2009! I'm going with BoneKracker on this one, it is a wind up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 547

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
elyes wrote:
I would like to say 2 things:
1/ to our fundamentalist: still an American flag on the moon! ;)
2/ about the movie: freedom don't allow you to be antisemitic .

1) Then they should leave the medieval age and join the 21st century and put one of their own on the moon
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI <-- this never caused a riot, or murder spree, or even mildly branded as antisemitic. It's satire, and you don't have a right to be not offended anyway.


http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19790828&id=alYnAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bnwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6852,3338615
It didn't cause a riot (as far as I know), but that religions people and leaders were in a rage when it was released is not exactly a secret.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
It didn't cause a riot (as far as I know), but that religions people and leaders were in a rage when it was released is not exactly a secret.

Sure, Christards also had a bit of a moan about it, too. They're well within their rights to have a moan about it, as long as that's all they do.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
btw, they are blaming the jews anyway. how nice, huh?


So the sun still rises in the East, 'eh?
_________________
I, for one, am glad to be living on a planet with 776x the mass of the super-massive black hole at the center of the milky way.
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
There are thousands of videos; thousands of Internet sites that "insult" Islam and the Prophet. Anyone that believes that this one film is the cause of the current barbaric behavior by those followers of Islam need their cognitive functions readjusted.


so, what's the cause?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
juniper wrote:
Egyptian PM urges US to end insults

Not sure what he wants.

I am actually surprised at the timid response of the US govt. Maybe its right not to be belligerent about this, but a US ambassador got killed. that isn't tiny news. that is super serious. you can't have ambassadors being killed (not just from the US but from any country). I am not advocating any violence on the part of the americans (who are being remarkably admirable), but some words telling these countries to get their act together and protect the US embassies may be in order. The embassies need protection or need to be evacuated, as it seems the staff is in serious danger.

I dunno.

Nothing admirable about it...the Americans just don't want to start a war before the election.


No, if we wanted war, or oil, we can do that in the western hemisphere.
Canada, Mexico, and Vuvuzela would be absorbed into the collective greed state.

What Americans want is to be safe and be left alone.
That requires an absence of fanatics waging asymmetric warfare against us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:

What Americans want is to be safe and be left alone.
That requires an absence of fanatics waging asymmetric warfare against us.


I thought that the point of any number of wars started by the US was to democratise the world. How does that equate with being left alone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:
No, if we wanted war, or oil, we can do that in the western hemisphere.
Canada, Mexico, and Vuvuzela would be absorbed into the collective greed state.

What Americans want is to be safe and be left alone.
That requires an absence of fanatics waging asymmetric warfare against us.


Sounds cool. Lemme know when it becomes reality.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:
What Americans want is to be safe and be left alone.

Securing America, by blowing up 10 brown people at a time.

Darth Marley wrote:
That requires an absence of fanatics waging asymmetric warfare against us.

Yes, terrible that they're fanatically breaking up your air to ground missiles with their faces on their home soil.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And while thus occupied, they are not hijacking and flying our planes into our buildings, sinking, hijacking, or blockading our ships, taking hostages, intentionally killing innocent civilians by the thousands, and training armies of fanatics to attack us.*

* Except in the Maghreb, where Obama actually gave them weapons, trained them in combined arms tactics and indirect fires, and removed the biggest local threat to them, and then left our embassy undefended except by locals.
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Yes. And while thus occupied...

...you're impoverishing yourselves, while providing the Jihadis with a propaganda goldmine, and disenfranchising millions of young and pliable Muslim men and so driving their recruitment numbers through the roof.

Well done.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like millions in middle-east have something rational and safe to fall back to, like I dunno, take up carpentry or web design lessons once they grow out of their religious phase. No need to bomb them and make things worse.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think we should leave the problem of Islam to Europe, Russia, and China. It's not our problem. If they attack us, we destroy whoever attacked; but no more nation-building. Provided we control it domestically, the Jihadi resurgence of Islamist imperialism is your problem, not ours.

It probably won't come to a head for 50 years or so, but maybe after you've beaten each other to nearly to death, we'll come over and finish them off for you and deliver the coup de grâce , like we did in the other world wars.

We should be devoting our resources to the annexation of Canada, Cuba, and Central America.
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
We should be devoting our resources to the annexation of Canada, Cuba, and Central America.
Real estate, tourism & manufacturing?
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I agree. I think we should leave the problem of Islam to Europe, Russia, and China. It's not our problem. If they attack us, we destroy whoever attacked; but no more nation-building. Provided we control it domestically, the Jihadi resurgence of Islamist imperialism is your problem, not ours.

It probably won't come to a head for 50 years or so, but maybe after you've beaten each other to nearly to death, we'll come over and finish them off for you and deliver the coup de grâce , like we did in the other world wars.

We should be devoting our resources to the annexation of Canada, Cuba, and Central America.


Cmon, stop being so pouty... :lol:

You know damn well that what you are doing in Middle-East is not "taking care of it" or "spreading democracy" or "educating masses" or "accelerating islam towards its own Enlightenment". You are there for their oil. No need to be shy about it. All empires behaved the same way, we've seen it before. Pardon us for not giving a shit weather you guys think history started with Declaration of Independence. :wink:

Also, all those wars create refugees, which end up in Europe, maybe because its kinda close, and it had social system designed to not allow its own population (you know, those Europeans who built it up) to slide down to poverty, crime, etc etc, in case they get fired from a job, or lose a leg in a car accident and stuff. You know, stuff that happens to people.

All you ever did in Middle-East was try to get oil, play proxy wars with Soviet Union, remove democratically elected presidents with your UK buddies and install tyrannical assholes, who in turn got booted in a revolution and replaced with a fucked up ogres from Stone age, who accidentaly point their fingers at you guys (wonder why).

And now all of a sudden you are saving us from Islamisation? Color me unimpressed, you're just doing same shit colonial powers were doing before you, don't try and pretend you're doing something else. Hubris = BAD.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
We should be devoting our resources to the annexation of Canada, Cuba, and Central America.
Real estate, tourism & manufacturing?

Oil, wood, global warming lebensraum, strategic defensive terrain, sugar cane, tourism, and cheap labor.
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
And now all of a sudden you are saving us from Islamisation? Color me unimpressed, you're just doing same shit colonial powers were doing before you, don't try and pretend you're doing something else. Hubris = BAD.

You read some second-level interpretation into what I said, or something. I'm not justifying it; I'm saying we should not be doing it.

But, if you think our only interest there is oil, you're only seeing a tiny piece of the picture. You think we're in Afghanistan over oil? I think maybe you need to give it some more thought.

Also, don't worry, when they come up through the Balkans this time, just use the lessons learned from last time about what works: impale every enemy prisoner and collaborator, and leave a forest of impaled Muslim bodies as a warning to the invaders. Maybe they won't make it all the way into the heart of central Europe this time, or capture Spain, Greece, etc.
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum